Cost Of Living in Afghanistan

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Afghanistan

Whether you're living in Afghanistan or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
63,000 AFN
average per month
16,000 AFN
Range
130,000 AFN

Couple
120,000 AFN
average per month
23,000 AFN
Range
190,000 AFN

Family
190,000 AFN
average per month
55,000 AFN
Range
280,000 AFN

Student
47,000 AFN
average per month
7,800 AFN
Range
100,000 AFN
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Afghanistan is 63,000 AFN. Expenses can range from 16,000 AFN at the minimum level to 130,000 AFN at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Afghanistan is 120,000 AFN. Expenditure can range from 23,000 AFN to 190,000 AFN per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Afghanistan is 190,000 AFN per month. Families spend anywhere from 55,000 AFN to 280,000 AFN.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Afghanistan is 47,000 AFN. Students spend from 7,800 AFN to 100,000 AFN per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Afghanistan

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

16 AFN

16 AFN
16 AFN

Fast food
combo meal

160 AFN

110 AFN
260 AFN

Restaurant
meal for one

520 AFN

410 AFN
650 AFN

Fine dining
meal for one

1,300 AFN

870 AFN
1,600 AFN

Soda
Soft Drink

13 AFN

13 AFN
13 AFN

Cappuccino
or latte

100 AFN

65 AFN
160 AFN

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

78 AFN

65 AFN
87 AFN

Loaf of
bread

11 AFN

9.8 AFN
13 AFN

12
eggs

78 AFN

65 AFN
98 AFN

Fresh whole
chicken

180 AFN

140 AFN
220 AFN

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

210 AFN

170 AFN
260 AFN

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

110 AFN

98 AFN
130 AFN

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

52 AFN

43 AFN
65 AFN

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

56 AFN

49 AFN
60 AFN

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

54 AFN

47 AFN
60 AFN

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

78 AFN

65 AFN
160 AFN

Average car
full tank

520 AFN

390 AFN
1,000 AFN

Average car
1-day rental

520 AFN

390 AFN
780 AFN

Average car
price

390,000 AFN

200,000 AFN
520,000 AFN

Bus ticket
one way

20 AFN

13 AFN
39 AFN

Car
Service

780 AFN

520 AFN
1,600 AFN

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

3,800 AFN

940 AFN
8,000 AFN

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

4,700 AFN

1,200 AFN
9,400 AFN

Electricity
and water bill
Family

7,500 AFN

1,600 AFN
8,400 AFN

Internet
and cable

780 AFN

390 AFN
1,000 AFN

Mobile phone
charges

520 AFN

310 AFN
1,600 AFN

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

260 AFN

200 AFN
390 AFN

One month gym
membership

780 AFN

630 AFN
1,600 AFN

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

650 AFN

460 AFN
980 AFN

Woman
dress

600 AFN

430 AFN
2,000 AFN

Woman
shoes

560 AFN

410 AFN
1,300 AFN

Men
shoes

430 AFN

360 AFN
870 AFN

Men
suit

490 AFN

390 AFN
2,600 AFN

Regular
t-shirt

260 AFN

200 AFN
780 AFN

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

9,800 AFN

6,500 AFN
26,000 AFN

1-bedroom
apartment

16,000 AFN

9,800 AFN
39,000 AFN

2-bedroom
apartment

20,000 AFN

13,000 AFN
52,000 AFN

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

2,000,000 AFN

1,300,000 AFN
3,900,000 AFN

1-bedroom
apartment

2,600,000 AFN

1,600,000 AFN
9,800,000 AFN

2-bedroom
apartment

7,800,000 AFN

2,600,000 AFN
16,000,000 AFN

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

9,800 AFN

7,800 AFN
13,000 AFN

Double
Bed

7,800 AFN

5,200 AFN
9,800 AFN

Single
Bed

6,000 AFN

4,600 AFN
7,800 AFN

Living
Room

11,000 AFN

8,700 AFN
39,000 AFN

Dining
Table

5,200 AFN

3,900 AFN
9,800 AFN

Sofa
or Couch

7,100 AFN

5,200 AFN
16,000 AFN

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

7,800 AFN

5,200 AFN
16,000 AFN

Fridge
or Freezer

7,100 AFN

4,600 AFN
9,800 AFN

Washing
Machine

8,700 AFN

6,000 AFN
16,000 AFN

Stove
or Cooker

7,100 AFN

5,600 AFN
9,800 AFN

Mobile
Phone

7,800 AFN

6,500 AFN
11,000 AFN

Laptop
or Computer

8,700 AFN

7,100 AFN
16,000 AFN

How do people spend their money in Afghanistan?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Afghanistan

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW5,600 AFN
AVERAGE23,000 AFN
HIGH48,000 AFN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW940 AFN
AVERAGE3,800 AFN
HIGH8,000 AFN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW1,300 AFN
AVERAGE5,000 AFN
HIGH11,000 AFN
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW2,500 AFN
AVERAGE10,000 AFN
HIGH21,000 AFN
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,400 AFN
AVERAGE5,600 AFN
HIGH12,000 AFN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW780 AFN
AVERAGE3,100 AFN
HIGH6,600 AFN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW310 AFN
AVERAGE1,300 AFN
HIGH2,700 AFN
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW2,800 AFN
AVERAGE11,000 AFN
HIGH24,000 AFN
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Afghanistan

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW7,700 AFN
AVERAGE39,000 AFN
HIGH62,000 AFN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW1,200 AFN
AVERAGE4,700 AFN
HIGH9,400 AFN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW2,800 AFN
AVERAGE14,000 AFN
HIGH23,000 AFN
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW3,300 AFN
AVERAGE16,000 AFN
HIGH26,000 AFN
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW2,600 AFN
AVERAGE13,000 AFN
HIGH21,000 AFN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW1,400 AFN
AVERAGE7,000 AFN
HIGH11,000 AFN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW470 AFN
AVERAGE2,300 AFN
HIGH3,800 AFN
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW4,000 AFN
AVERAGE20,000 AFN
HIGH32,000 AFN
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Afghanistan

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW18,000 AFN
AVERAGE60,000 AFN
HIGH90,000 AFN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW1,600 AFN
AVERAGE7,500 AFN
HIGH8,400 AFN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW4,400 AFN
AVERAGE15,000 AFN
HIGH23,000 AFN
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW9,800 AFN
AVERAGE34,000 AFN
HIGH51,000 AFN
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW4,400 AFN
AVERAGE15,000 AFN
HIGH23,000 AFN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,700 AFN
AVERAGE9,400 AFN
HIGH14,000 AFN
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW7,700 AFN
AVERAGE26,000 AFN
HIGH39,000 AFN
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW6,600 AFN
AVERAGE23,000 AFN
HIGH34,000 AFN
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Afghanistan

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW1,900 AFN
AVERAGE11,000 AFN
HIGH24,000 AFN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW310 AFN
AVERAGE1,900 AFN
HIGH4,100 AFN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW550 AFN
AVERAGE3,300 AFN
HIGH7,100 AFN
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW1,600 AFN
AVERAGE9,400 AFN
HIGH20,000 AFN
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW470 AFN
AVERAGE2,800 AFN
HIGH6,100 AFN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW390 AFN
AVERAGE2,300 AFN
HIGH5,100 AFN
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW1,500 AFN
AVERAGE8,900 AFN
HIGH19,000 AFN
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW1,200 AFN
AVERAGE7,000 AFN
HIGH15,000 AFN
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Afghanistan typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 33,000 AFN with expenditure ranging from 8,200 AFN and 56,000 AFN. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Afghanistan ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 4,500 AFN with 1,000 AFN and 7,500 AFN being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 2,200 AFN to 16,000 AFN on commuting with 9,300 AFN being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Afghanistan is 17,000 AFN. The cost of groceries can range between 4,300 AFN to 30,000 AFN. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Afghanistan allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 2,200 AFN to 15,000 AFN with 9,100 AFN being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 1,300 AFN to 9,300 AFN with 5,500 AFN being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 9,700 AFN per month with 2,500 AFN being the minimum spent amount and 16,000 AFN being the maximum.

©copound