Cost Of Living in Albania

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Albania

Whether you're living in Albania or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
77,000 ALL
average per month
19,000 ALL
Range
160,000 ALL

Couple
140,000 ALL
average per month
29,000 ALL
Range
230,000 ALL

Family
230,000 ALL
average per month
67,000 ALL
Range
350,000 ALL

Student
58,000 ALL
average per month
9,600 ALL
Range
130,000 ALL
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Albania is 77,000 ALL. Expenses can range from 19,000 ALL at the minimum level to 160,000 ALL at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Albania is 140,000 ALL. Expenditure can range from 29,000 ALL to 230,000 ALL per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Albania is 230,000 ALL per month. Families spend anywhere from 67,000 ALL to 350,000 ALL.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Albania is 58,000 ALL. Students spend from 9,600 ALL to 130,000 ALL per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Albania

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

19 ALL

19 ALL
19 ALL

Fast food
combo meal

190 ALL

140 ALL
320 ALL

Restaurant
meal for one

640 ALL

510 ALL
800 ALL

Fine dining
meal for one

1,600 ALL

1,100 ALL
1,900 ALL

Soda
Soft Drink

16 ALL

16 ALL
16 ALL

Cappuccino
or latte

130 ALL

80 ALL
190 ALL

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

96 ALL

80 ALL
110 ALL

Loaf of
bread

14 ALL

12 ALL
16 ALL

12
eggs

96 ALL

80 ALL
120 ALL

Fresh whole
chicken

220 ALL

180 ALL
280 ALL

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

250 ALL

210 ALL
320 ALL

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

140 ALL

120 ALL
160 ALL

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

64 ALL

54 ALL
80 ALL

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

69 ALL

60 ALL
74 ALL

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

67 ALL

58 ALL
74 ALL

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

96 ALL

80 ALL
190 ALL

Average car
full tank

640 ALL

480 ALL
1,300 ALL

Average car
1-day rental

640 ALL

480 ALL
960 ALL

Average car
price

480,000 ALL

240,000 ALL
640,000 ALL

Bus ticket
one way

24 ALL

16 ALL
48 ALL

Car
Service

960 ALL

640 ALL
1,900 ALL

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

4,600 ALL

1,200 ALL
9,800 ALL

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

5,800 ALL

1,400 ALL
12,000 ALL

Electricity
and water bill
Family

9,300 ALL

2,000 ALL
10,000 ALL

Internet
and cable

960 ALL

480 ALL
1,300 ALL

Mobile phone
charges

640 ALL

390 ALL
1,900 ALL

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

320 ALL

240 ALL
480 ALL

One month gym
membership

960 ALL

770 ALL
1,900 ALL

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

800 ALL

570 ALL
1,200 ALL

Woman
dress

740 ALL

540 ALL
2,400 ALL

Woman
shoes

690 ALL

510 ALL
1,600 ALL

Men
shoes

540 ALL

440 ALL
1,100 ALL

Men
suit

600 ALL

480 ALL
3,200 ALL

Regular
t-shirt

320 ALL

240 ALL
960 ALL

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

12,000 ALL

8,000 ALL
32,000 ALL

1-bedroom
apartment

19,000 ALL

12,000 ALL
48,000 ALL

2-bedroom
apartment

24,000 ALL

16,000 ALL
64,000 ALL

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

2,400,000 ALL

1,600,000 ALL
4,800,000 ALL

1-bedroom
apartment

3,200,000 ALL

1,900,000 ALL
12,000,000 ALL

2-bedroom
apartment

9,600,000 ALL

3,200,000 ALL
19,000,000 ALL

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

12,000 ALL

9,600 ALL
16,000 ALL

Double
Bed

9,600 ALL

6,400 ALL
12,000 ALL

Single
Bed

7,400 ALL

5,700 ALL
9,600 ALL

Living
Room

14,000 ALL

11,000 ALL
48,000 ALL

Dining
Table

6,400 ALL

4,800 ALL
12,000 ALL

Sofa
or Couch

8,800 ALL

6,400 ALL
19,000 ALL

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

9,600 ALL

6,400 ALL
19,000 ALL

Fridge
or Freezer

8,800 ALL

5,700 ALL
12,000 ALL

Washing
Machine

11,000 ALL

7,400 ALL
19,000 ALL

Stove
or Cooker

8,800 ALL

6,900 ALL
12,000 ALL

Mobile
Phone

9,600 ALL

8,000 ALL
14,000 ALL

Laptop
or Computer

11,000 ALL

8,800 ALL
19,000 ALL

How do people spend their money in Albania?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Albania

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW6,900 ALL
AVERAGE28,000 ALL
HIGH59,000 ALL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,200 ALL
AVERAGE4,600 ALL
HIGH9,800 ALL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW1,500 ALL
AVERAGE6,200 ALL
HIGH13,000 ALL
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW3,100 ALL
AVERAGE12,000 ALL
HIGH26,000 ALL
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,700 ALL
AVERAGE6,900 ALL
HIGH15,000 ALL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW960 ALL
AVERAGE3,900 ALL
HIGH8,200 ALL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW390 ALL
AVERAGE1,500 ALL
HIGH3,300 ALL
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW3,500 ALL
AVERAGE14,000 ALL
HIGH30,000 ALL
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Albania

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW9,500 ALL
AVERAGE48,000 ALL
HIGH76,000 ALL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW1,400 ALL
AVERAGE5,800 ALL
HIGH12,000 ALL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW3,500 ALL
AVERAGE17,000 ALL
HIGH28,000 ALL
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW4,000 ALL
AVERAGE20,000 ALL
HIGH32,000 ALL
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW3,200 ALL
AVERAGE16,000 ALL
HIGH25,000 ALL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW1,700 ALL
AVERAGE8,700 ALL
HIGH14,000 ALL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW580 ALL
AVERAGE2,900 ALL
HIGH4,600 ALL
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW4,900 ALL
AVERAGE25,000 ALL
HIGH39,000 ALL
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Albania

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW22,000 ALL
AVERAGE74,000 ALL
HIGH110,000 ALL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW2,000 ALL
AVERAGE9,300 ALL
HIGH10,000 ALL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW5,400 ALL
AVERAGE19,000 ALL
HIGH28,000 ALL
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW12,000 ALL
AVERAGE42,000 ALL
HIGH62,000 ALL
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW5,400 ALL
AVERAGE19,000 ALL
HIGH28,000 ALL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,400 ALL
AVERAGE12,000 ALL
HIGH17,000 ALL
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW9,400 ALL
AVERAGE32,000 ALL
HIGH49,000 ALL
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW8,100 ALL
AVERAGE28,000 ALL
HIGH42,000 ALL
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Albania

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW2,300 ALL
AVERAGE14,000 ALL
HIGH30,000 ALL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW390 ALL
AVERAGE2,300 ALL
HIGH5,000 ALL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW670 ALL
AVERAGE4,000 ALL
HIGH8,800 ALL
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW1,900 ALL
AVERAGE12,000 ALL
HIGH25,000 ALL
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW580 ALL
AVERAGE3,500 ALL
HIGH7,500 ALL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW480 ALL
AVERAGE2,900 ALL
HIGH6,300 ALL
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW1,800 ALL
AVERAGE11,000 ALL
HIGH24,000 ALL
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW1,400 ALL
AVERAGE8,700 ALL
HIGH19,000 ALL
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Albania typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 41,000 ALL with expenditure ranging from 10,000 ALL and 69,000 ALL. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Albania ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 5,500 ALL with 1,300 ALL and 9,200 ALL being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 2,800 ALL to 19,000 ALL on commuting with 12,000 ALL being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Albania is 21,000 ALL. The cost of groceries can range between 5,300 ALL to 37,000 ALL. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Albania allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 2,700 ALL to 19,000 ALL with 11,000 ALL being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 1,600 ALL to 11,000 ALL with 6,700 ALL being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 12,000 ALL per month with 3,100 ALL being the minimum spent amount and 20,000 ALL being the maximum.

©copound