Cost Of Living in Algeria

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Algeria

Whether you're living in Algeria or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
140,000 DZD
average per month
36,000 DZD
Range
310,000 DZD

Couple
270,000 DZD
average per month
54,000 DZD
Range
430,000 DZD

Family
430,000 DZD
average per month
130,000 DZD
Range
650,000 DZD

Student
110,000 DZD
average per month
18,000 DZD
Range
230,000 DZD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Algeria is 140,000 DZD. Expenses can range from 36,000 DZD at the minimum level to 310,000 DZD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Algeria is 270,000 DZD. Expenditure can range from 54,000 DZD to 430,000 DZD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Algeria is 430,000 DZD per month. Families spend anywhere from 130,000 DZD to 650,000 DZD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Algeria is 110,000 DZD. Students spend from 18,000 DZD to 230,000 DZD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Algeria

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

36 DZD

36 DZD
36 DZD

Fast food
combo meal

360 DZD

260 DZD
600 DZD

Restaurant
meal for one

1,200 DZD

950 DZD
1,500 DZD

Fine dining
meal for one

3,000 DZD

2,000 DZD
3,600 DZD

Soda
Soft Drink

30 DZD

30 DZD
30 DZD

Cappuccino
or latte

240 DZD

150 DZD
360 DZD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

180 DZD

150 DZD
200 DZD

Loaf of
bread

26 DZD

23 DZD
30 DZD

12
eggs

180 DZD

150 DZD
230 DZD

Fresh whole
chicken

420 DZD

330 DZD
510 DZD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

470 DZD

400 DZD
600 DZD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

260 DZD

230 DZD
300 DZD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

120 DZD

100 DZD
150 DZD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

130 DZD

110 DZD
140 DZD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

120 DZD

110 DZD
140 DZD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

180 DZD

150 DZD
360 DZD

Average car
full tank

1,200 DZD

900 DZD
2,400 DZD

Average car
1-day rental

1,200 DZD

900 DZD
1,800 DZD

Average car
price

900,000 DZD

450,000 DZD
1,200,000 DZD

Bus ticket
one way

45 DZD

30 DZD
90 DZD

Car
Service

1,800 DZD

1,200 DZD
3,600 DZD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

8,600 DZD

2,200 DZD
18,000 DZD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

11,000 DZD

2,700 DZD
22,000 DZD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

17,000 DZD

3,800 DZD
19,000 DZD

Internet
and cable

1,800 DZD

900 DZD
2,400 DZD

Mobile phone
charges

1,200 DZD

720 DZD
3,600 DZD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

600 DZD

450 DZD
900 DZD

One month gym
membership

1,800 DZD

1,400 DZD
3,600 DZD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

1,500 DZD

1,100 DZD
2,300 DZD

Woman
dress

1,400 DZD

1,000 DZD
4,500 DZD

Woman
shoes

1,300 DZD

950 DZD
3,000 DZD

Men
shoes

1,000 DZD

820 DZD
2,000 DZD

Men
suit

1,100 DZD

900 DZD
6,000 DZD

Regular
t-shirt

600 DZD

450 DZD
1,800 DZD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

23,000 DZD

15,000 DZD
60,000 DZD

1-bedroom
apartment

36,000 DZD

23,000 DZD
90,000 DZD

2-bedroom
apartment

45,000 DZD

30,000 DZD
120,000 DZD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

4,500,000 DZD

3,000,000 DZD
9,000,000 DZD

1-bedroom
apartment

6,000,000 DZD

3,600,000 DZD
23,000,000 DZD

2-bedroom
apartment

18,000,000 DZD

6,000,000 DZD
36,000,000 DZD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

23,000 DZD

18,000 DZD
30,000 DZD

Double
Bed

18,000 DZD

12,000 DZD
23,000 DZD

Single
Bed

14,000 DZD

11,000 DZD
18,000 DZD

Living
Room

26,000 DZD

20,000 DZD
90,000 DZD

Dining
Table

12,000 DZD

9,000 DZD
23,000 DZD

Sofa
or Couch

16,000 DZD

12,000 DZD
36,000 DZD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

18,000 DZD

12,000 DZD
36,000 DZD

Fridge
or Freezer

16,000 DZD

11,000 DZD
23,000 DZD

Washing
Machine

20,000 DZD

14,000 DZD
36,000 DZD

Stove
or Cooker

16,000 DZD

13,000 DZD
23,000 DZD

Mobile
Phone

18,000 DZD

15,000 DZD
26,000 DZD

Laptop
or Computer

20,000 DZD

16,000 DZD
36,000 DZD

How do people spend their money in Algeria?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Algeria

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW13,000 DZD
AVERAGE52,000 DZD
HIGH110,000 DZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,200 DZD
AVERAGE8,600 DZD
HIGH18,000 DZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW2,900 DZD
AVERAGE12,000 DZD
HIGH25,000 DZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW5,800 DZD
AVERAGE23,000 DZD
HIGH49,000 DZD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW3,200 DZD
AVERAGE13,000 DZD
HIGH28,000 DZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,800 DZD
AVERAGE7,200 DZD
HIGH15,000 DZD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW720 DZD
AVERAGE2,900 DZD
HIGH6,100 DZD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW6,500 DZD
AVERAGE26,000 DZD
HIGH55,000 DZD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Algeria

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW18,000 DZD
AVERAGE89,000 DZD
HIGH140,000 DZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW2,700 DZD
AVERAGE11,000 DZD
HIGH22,000 DZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW6,500 DZD
AVERAGE32,000 DZD
HIGH52,000 DZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW7,600 DZD
AVERAGE38,000 DZD
HIGH61,000 DZD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW5,900 DZD
AVERAGE30,000 DZD
HIGH48,000 DZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW3,200 DZD
AVERAGE16,000 DZD
HIGH26,000 DZD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,100 DZD
AVERAGE5,400 DZD
HIGH8,600 DZD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW9,200 DZD
AVERAGE46,000 DZD
HIGH74,000 DZD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Algeria

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW40,000 DZD
AVERAGE140,000 DZD
HIGH210,000 DZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW3,800 DZD
AVERAGE17,000 DZD
HIGH19,000 DZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW10,000 DZD
AVERAGE35,000 DZD
HIGH52,000 DZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW23,000 DZD
AVERAGE78,000 DZD
HIGH120,000 DZD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW10,000 DZD
AVERAGE35,000 DZD
HIGH52,000 DZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW6,300 DZD
AVERAGE22,000 DZD
HIGH32,000 DZD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW18,000 DZD
AVERAGE61,000 DZD
HIGH91,000 DZD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW15,000 DZD
AVERAGE52,000 DZD
HIGH78,000 DZD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Algeria

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW4,300 DZD
AVERAGE26,000 DZD
HIGH56,000 DZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW720 DZD
AVERAGE4,300 DZD
HIGH9,400 DZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW1,300 DZD
AVERAGE7,600 DZD
HIGH16,000 DZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW3,600 DZD
AVERAGE22,000 DZD
HIGH47,000 DZD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW1,100 DZD
AVERAGE6,500 DZD
HIGH14,000 DZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW900 DZD
AVERAGE5,400 DZD
HIGH12,000 DZD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW3,400 DZD
AVERAGE21,000 DZD
HIGH45,000 DZD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW2,700 DZD
AVERAGE16,000 DZD
HIGH35,000 DZD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Algeria typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 76,000 DZD with expenditure ranging from 19,000 DZD and 130,000 DZD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Algeria ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 10,000 DZD with 2,300 DZD and 17,000 DZD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 5,200 DZD to 36,000 DZD on commuting with 22,000 DZD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Algeria is 40,000 DZD. The cost of groceries can range between 9,900 DZD to 68,000 DZD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Algeria allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 5,100 DZD to 35,000 DZD with 21,000 DZD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 3,100 DZD to 21,000 DZD with 13,000 DZD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 22,000 DZD per month with 5,700 DZD being the minimum spent amount and 38,000 DZD being the maximum.

©copound