Cost Of Living in American Samoa

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in American Samoa

Whether you're living in American Samoa or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,300 USD
average per month
310 USD
Range
2,700 USD

Couple
2,400 USD
average per month
470 USD
Range
3,800 USD

Family
3,800 USD
average per month
1,100 USD
Range
5,600 USD

Student
940 USD
average per month
160 USD
Range
2,000 USD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in American Samoa is 1,300 USD. Expenses can range from 310 USD at the minimum level to 2,700 USD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in American Samoa is 2,400 USD. Expenditure can range from 470 USD to 3,800 USD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in American Samoa is 3,800 USD per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,100 USD to 5,600 USD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in American Samoa is 940 USD. Students spend from 160 USD to 2,000 USD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in American Samoa

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.31 USD

0.31 USD
0.31 USD

Fast food
combo meal

3.1 USD

2.2 USD
5.2 USD

Restaurant
meal for one

10 USD

8.3 USD
13 USD

Fine dining
meal for one

26 USD

17 USD
31 USD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.26 USD

0.26 USD
0.26 USD

Cappuccino
or latte

2.1 USD

1.3 USD
3.1 USD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1.6 USD

1.3 USD
1.7 USD

Loaf of
bread

0.22 USD

0.20 USD
0.26 USD

12
eggs

1.6 USD

1.3 USD
2.0 USD

Fresh whole
chicken

3.7 USD

2.9 USD
4.5 USD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

4.1 USD

3.5 USD
5.2 USD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2.2 USD

2.0 USD
2.6 USD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.1 USD

0.87 USD
1.3 USD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.1 USD

0.98 USD
1.2 USD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.1 USD

0.95 USD
1.2 USD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1.6 USD

1.3 USD
3.1 USD

Average car
full tank

10 USD

7.9 USD
21 USD

Average car
1-day rental

10 USD

7.9 USD
16 USD

Average car
price

7,800 USD

3,900 USD
10,000 USD

Bus ticket
one way

0.39 USD

0.26 USD
0.78 USD

Car
Service

16 USD

10 USD
31 USD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

75 USD

19 USD
160 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

94 USD

24 USD
190 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

150 USD

33 USD
170 USD

Internet
and cable

16 USD

7.9 USD
21 USD

Mobile phone
charges

10 USD

6.3 USD
31 USD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

5.2 USD

3.9 USD
7.9 USD

One month gym
membership

16 USD

13 USD
31 USD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

13 USD

9.2 USD
20 USD

Woman
dress

12 USD

8.7 USD
39 USD

Woman
shoes

11 USD

8.3 USD
26 USD

Men
shoes

8.7 USD

7.1 USD
17 USD

Men
suit

9.8 USD

7.9 USD
52 USD

Regular
t-shirt

5.2 USD

3.9 USD
16 USD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

200 USD

130 USD
520 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

310 USD

200 USD
780 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

390 USD

260 USD
1,000 USD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

39,000 USD

26,000 USD
78,000 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

52,000 USD

31,000 USD
200,000 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

160,000 USD

52,000 USD
310,000 USD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

200 USD

160 USD
260 USD

Double
Bed

160 USD

100 USD
200 USD

Single
Bed

120 USD

92 USD
160 USD

Living
Room

220 USD

170 USD
780 USD

Dining
Table

100 USD

78 USD
200 USD

Sofa
or Couch

140 USD

100 USD
310 USD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

160 USD

100 USD
310 USD

Fridge
or Freezer

140 USD

92 USD
200 USD

Washing
Machine

170 USD

120 USD
310 USD

Stove
or Cooker

140 USD

110 USD
200 USD

Mobile
Phone

160 USD

130 USD
220 USD

Laptop
or Computer

170 USD

140 USD
310 USD

How do people spend their money in American Samoa?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in American Samoa

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW110 USD
AVERAGE450 USD
HIGH960 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW19 USD
AVERAGE75 USD
HIGH160 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW25 USD
AVERAGE100 USD
HIGH210 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW50 USD
AVERAGE200 USD
HIGH430 USD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW28 USD
AVERAGE110 USD
HIGH240 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW16 USD
AVERAGE63 USD
HIGH130 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW6.3 USD
AVERAGE25 USD
HIGH53 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW56 USD
AVERAGE230 USD
HIGH480 USD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in American Samoa

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW160 USD
AVERAGE780 USD
HIGH1,200 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW24 USD
AVERAGE94 USD
HIGH190 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW56 USD
AVERAGE280 USD
HIGH450 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW66 USD
AVERAGE330 USD
HIGH530 USD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW52 USD
AVERAGE260 USD
HIGH410 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW28 USD
AVERAGE140 USD
HIGH230 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW9.4 USD
AVERAGE47 USD
HIGH75 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW80 USD
AVERAGE400 USD
HIGH640 USD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in American Samoa

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW350 USD
AVERAGE1,200 USD
HIGH1,800 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW33 USD
AVERAGE150 USD
HIGH170 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW88 USD
AVERAGE300 USD
HIGH450 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW200 USD
AVERAGE680 USD
HIGH1,000 USD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW88 USD
AVERAGE300 USD
HIGH450 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW55 USD
AVERAGE190 USD
HIGH280 USD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW150 USD
AVERAGE530 USD
HIGH790 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW130 USD
AVERAGE450 USD
HIGH680 USD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in American Samoa

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW38 USD
AVERAGE230 USD
HIGH490 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW6.3 USD
AVERAGE38 USD
HIGH82 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW11 USD
AVERAGE66 USD
HIGH140 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW31 USD
AVERAGE190 USD
HIGH410 USD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW9.4 USD
AVERAGE56 USD
HIGH120 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW7.9 USD
AVERAGE47 USD
HIGH100 USD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW30 USD
AVERAGE180 USD
HIGH390 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW24 USD
AVERAGE140 USD
HIGH310 USD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in American Samoa typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 660 USD with expenditure ranging from 160 USD and 1,100 USD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in American Samoa ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 89 USD with 20 USD and 150 USD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 45 USD to 310 USD on commuting with 190 USD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in American Samoa is 350 USD. The cost of groceries can range between 86 USD to 590 USD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in American Samoa allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 44 USD to 310 USD with 180 USD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 27 USD to 190 USD with 110 USD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 190 USD per month with 50 USD being the minimum spent amount and 330 USD being the maximum.

©copound