Cost Of Living in Bahamas

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Bahamas

Whether you're living in Bahamas or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,100 BSD
average per month
780 BSD
Range
6,600 BSD

Couple
5,900 BSD
average per month
1,200 BSD
Range
9,400 BSD

Family
9,400 BSD
average per month
2,700 BSD
Range
14,000 BSD

Student
2,300 BSD
average per month
390 BSD
Range
5,100 BSD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Bahamas is 3,100 BSD. Expenses can range from 780 BSD at the minimum level to 6,600 BSD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Bahamas is 5,900 BSD. Expenditure can range from 1,200 BSD to 9,400 BSD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Bahamas is 9,400 BSD per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,700 BSD to 14,000 BSD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Bahamas is 2,300 BSD. Students spend from 390 BSD to 5,100 BSD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Bahamas

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.78 BSD

0.78 BSD
0.78 BSD

Fast food
combo meal

7.8 BSD

5.6 BSD
13 BSD

Restaurant
meal for one

26 BSD

21 BSD
33 BSD

Fine dining
meal for one

65 BSD

43 BSD
78 BSD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.65 BSD

0.65 BSD
0.65 BSD

Cappuccino
or latte

5.2 BSD

3.3 BSD
7.8 BSD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.9 BSD

3.3 BSD
4.3 BSD

Loaf of
bread

0.56 BSD

0.49 BSD
0.65 BSD

12
eggs

3.9 BSD

3.3 BSD
4.9 BSD

Fresh whole
chicken

9.1 BSD

7.1 BSD
11 BSD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

10 BSD

8.7 BSD
13 BSD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

5.6 BSD

4.9 BSD
6.5 BSD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.6 BSD

2.2 BSD
3.3 BSD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.8 BSD

2.4 BSD
3.0 BSD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.7 BSD

2.4 BSD
3.0 BSD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.9 BSD

3.3 BSD
7.8 BSD

Average car
full tank

26 BSD

20 BSD
52 BSD

Average car
1-day rental

26 BSD

20 BSD
39 BSD

Average car
price

20,000 BSD

9,800 BSD
26,000 BSD

Bus ticket
one way

0.98 BSD

0.65 BSD
2.0 BSD

Car
Service

39 BSD

26 BSD
78 BSD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

190 BSD

47 BSD
400 BSD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

230 BSD

59 BSD
470 BSD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

380 BSD

82 BSD
420 BSD

Internet
and cable

39 BSD

20 BSD
52 BSD

Mobile phone
charges

26 BSD

16 BSD
78 BSD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

13 BSD

9.8 BSD
20 BSD

One month gym
membership

39 BSD

31 BSD
78 BSD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

33 BSD

23 BSD
49 BSD

Woman
dress

30 BSD

22 BSD
98 BSD

Woman
shoes

28 BSD

21 BSD
65 BSD

Men
shoes

22 BSD

18 BSD
43 BSD

Men
suit

24 BSD

20 BSD
130 BSD

Regular
t-shirt

13 BSD

9.8 BSD
39 BSD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

490 BSD

330 BSD
1,300 BSD

1-bedroom
apartment

780 BSD

490 BSD
2,000 BSD

2-bedroom
apartment

980 BSD

650 BSD
2,600 BSD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

98,000 BSD

65,000 BSD
200,000 BSD

1-bedroom
apartment

130,000 BSD

78,000 BSD
490,000 BSD

2-bedroom
apartment

390,000 BSD

130,000 BSD
780,000 BSD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

490 BSD

390 BSD
650 BSD

Double
Bed

390 BSD

260 BSD
490 BSD

Single
Bed

300 BSD

230 BSD
390 BSD

Living
Room

560 BSD

430 BSD
2,000 BSD

Dining
Table

260 BSD

200 BSD
490 BSD

Sofa
or Couch

360 BSD

260 BSD
780 BSD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

390 BSD

260 BSD
780 BSD

Fridge
or Freezer

360 BSD

230 BSD
490 BSD

Washing
Machine

430 BSD

300 BSD
780 BSD

Stove
or Cooker

360 BSD

280 BSD
490 BSD

Mobile
Phone

390 BSD

330 BSD
560 BSD

Laptop
or Computer

430 BSD

360 BSD
780 BSD

How do people spend their money in Bahamas?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Bahamas

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW280 BSD
AVERAGE1,100 BSD
HIGH2,400 BSD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW47 BSD
AVERAGE190 BSD
HIGH400 BSD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW63 BSD
AVERAGE250 BSD
HIGH530 BSD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW130 BSD
AVERAGE500 BSD
HIGH1,100 BSD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW70 BSD
AVERAGE280 BSD
HIGH600 BSD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW39 BSD
AVERAGE160 BSD
HIGH330 BSD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW16 BSD
AVERAGE63 BSD
HIGH130 BSD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW140 BSD
AVERAGE560 BSD
HIGH1,200 BSD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Bahamas

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW390 BSD
AVERAGE1,900 BSD
HIGH3,100 BSD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW59 BSD
AVERAGE230 BSD
HIGH470 BSD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW140 BSD
AVERAGE700 BSD
HIGH1,100 BSD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW160 BSD
AVERAGE820 BSD
HIGH1,300 BSD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW130 BSD
AVERAGE640 BSD
HIGH1,000 BSD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW70 BSD
AVERAGE350 BSD
HIGH560 BSD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW23 BSD
AVERAGE120 BSD
HIGH190 BSD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW200 BSD
AVERAGE1,000 BSD
HIGH1,600 BSD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Bahamas

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW880 BSD
AVERAGE3,000 BSD
HIGH4,500 BSD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW82 BSD
AVERAGE380 BSD
HIGH420 BSD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW220 BSD
AVERAGE750 BSD
HIGH1,100 BSD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW490 BSD
AVERAGE1,700 BSD
HIGH2,500 BSD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW220 BSD
AVERAGE750 BSD
HIGH1,100 BSD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW140 BSD
AVERAGE470 BSD
HIGH700 BSD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW380 BSD
AVERAGE1,300 BSD
HIGH2,000 BSD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW330 BSD
AVERAGE1,100 BSD
HIGH1,700 BSD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Bahamas

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW94 BSD
AVERAGE560 BSD
HIGH1,200 BSD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW16 BSD
AVERAGE94 BSD
HIGH200 BSD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW27 BSD
AVERAGE160 BSD
HIGH360 BSD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW78 BSD
AVERAGE470 BSD
HIGH1,000 BSD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW23 BSD
AVERAGE140 BSD
HIGH300 BSD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW20 BSD
AVERAGE120 BSD
HIGH250 BSD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW74 BSD
AVERAGE450 BSD
HIGH970 BSD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW59 BSD
AVERAGE350 BSD
HIGH760 BSD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Bahamas typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,700 BSD with expenditure ranging from 410 BSD and 2,800 BSD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Bahamas ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 220 BSD with 51 BSD and 370 BSD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 110 BSD to 780 BSD on commuting with 470 BSD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Bahamas is 870 BSD. The cost of groceries can range between 210 BSD to 1,500 BSD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Bahamas allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 110 BSD to 770 BSD with 450 BSD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 66 BSD to 460 BSD with 270 BSD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 480 BSD per month with 120 BSD being the minimum spent amount and 810 BSD being the maximum.

©copound