Cost Of Living in Bahrain

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Bahrain

Whether you're living in Bahrain or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,200 BHD
average per month
300 BHD
Range
2,500 BHD

Couple
2,200 BHD
average per month
440 BHD
Range
3,600 BHD

Family
3,600 BHD
average per month
1,000 BHD
Range
5,300 BHD

Student
890 BHD
average per month
150 BHD
Range
1,900 BHD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Bahrain is 1,200 BHD. Expenses can range from 300 BHD at the minimum level to 2,500 BHD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Bahrain is 2,200 BHD. Expenditure can range from 440 BHD to 3,600 BHD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Bahrain is 3,600 BHD per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,000 BHD to 5,300 BHD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Bahrain is 890 BHD. Students spend from 150 BHD to 1,900 BHD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Bahrain

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.30 BHD

0.30 BHD
0.30 BHD

Fast food
combo meal

3.0 BHD

2.1 BHD
4.9 BHD

Restaurant
meal for one

9.9 BHD

7.8 BHD
12 BHD

Fine dining
meal for one

25 BHD

16 BHD
30 BHD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.25 BHD

0.25 BHD
0.25 BHD

Cappuccino
or latte

2.0 BHD

1.2 BHD
3.0 BHD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1.5 BHD

1.2 BHD
1.7 BHD

Loaf of
bread

0.21 BHD

0.19 BHD
0.25 BHD

12
eggs

1.5 BHD

1.2 BHD
1.9 BHD

Fresh whole
chicken

3.5 BHD

2.7 BHD
4.2 BHD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

3.9 BHD

3.3 BHD
4.9 BHD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2.1 BHD

1.9 BHD
2.5 BHD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

0.99 BHD

0.82 BHD
1.2 BHD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.1 BHD

0.93 BHD
1.1 BHD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.0 BHD

0.90 BHD
1.1 BHD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1.5 BHD

1.2 BHD
3.0 BHD

Average car
full tank

9.9 BHD

7.4 BHD
20 BHD

Average car
1-day rental

9.9 BHD

7.4 BHD
15 BHD

Average car
price

7,400 BHD

3,700 BHD
9,900 BHD

Bus ticket
one way

0.37 BHD

0.25 BHD
0.74 BHD

Car
Service

15 BHD

9.9 BHD
30 BHD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

71 BHD

18 BHD
150 BHD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

89 BHD

22 BHD
180 BHD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

140 BHD

31 BHD
160 BHD

Internet
and cable

15 BHD

7.4 BHD
20 BHD

Mobile phone
charges

9.9 BHD

5.9 BHD
30 BHD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

4.9 BHD

3.7 BHD
7.4 BHD

One month gym
membership

15 BHD

12 BHD
30 BHD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

12 BHD

8.7 BHD
19 BHD

Woman
dress

11 BHD

8.2 BHD
37 BHD

Woman
shoes

11 BHD

7.8 BHD
25 BHD

Men
shoes

8.2 BHD

6.7 BHD
16 BHD

Men
suit

9.3 BHD

7.4 BHD
49 BHD

Regular
t-shirt

4.9 BHD

3.7 BHD
15 BHD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

190 BHD

120 BHD
490 BHD

1-bedroom
apartment

300 BHD

190 BHD
740 BHD

2-bedroom
apartment

370 BHD

250 BHD
990 BHD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

37,000 BHD

25,000 BHD
74,000 BHD

1-bedroom
apartment

49,000 BHD

30,000 BHD
190,000 BHD

2-bedroom
apartment

150,000 BHD

49,000 BHD
300,000 BHD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

190 BHD

150 BHD
250 BHD

Double
Bed

150 BHD

99 BHD
190 BHD

Single
Bed

110 BHD

87 BHD
150 BHD

Living
Room

210 BHD

160 BHD
740 BHD

Dining
Table

99 BHD

74 BHD
190 BHD

Sofa
or Couch

130 BHD

99 BHD
300 BHD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

150 BHD

99 BHD
300 BHD

Fridge
or Freezer

130 BHD

87 BHD
190 BHD

Washing
Machine

160 BHD

110 BHD
300 BHD

Stove
or Cooker

130 BHD

110 BHD
190 BHD

Mobile
Phone

150 BHD

120 BHD
210 BHD

Laptop
or Computer

160 BHD

130 BHD
300 BHD

How do people spend their money in Bahrain?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Bahrain

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW110 BHD
AVERAGE430 BHD
HIGH910 BHD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW18 BHD
AVERAGE71 BHD
HIGH150 BHD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW24 BHD
AVERAGE95 BHD
HIGH200 BHD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW47 BHD
AVERAGE190 BHD
HIGH400 BHD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW27 BHD
AVERAGE110 BHD
HIGH230 BHD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW15 BHD
AVERAGE59 BHD
HIGH130 BHD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW5.9 BHD
AVERAGE24 BHD
HIGH50 BHD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW53 BHD
AVERAGE210 BHD
HIGH450 BHD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Bahrain

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW150 BHD
AVERAGE730 BHD
HIGH1,200 BHD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW22 BHD
AVERAGE89 BHD
HIGH180 BHD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW53 BHD
AVERAGE270 BHD
HIGH430 BHD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW62 BHD
AVERAGE310 BHD
HIGH500 BHD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW49 BHD
AVERAGE240 BHD
HIGH390 BHD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW27 BHD
AVERAGE130 BHD
HIGH210 BHD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW8.9 BHD
AVERAGE44 BHD
HIGH71 BHD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW76 BHD
AVERAGE380 BHD
HIGH610 BHD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Bahrain

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW330 BHD
AVERAGE1,100 BHD
HIGH1,700 BHD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW31 BHD
AVERAGE140 BHD
HIGH160 BHD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW83 BHD
AVERAGE280 BHD
HIGH430 BHD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW190 BHD
AVERAGE640 BHD
HIGH960 BHD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW83 BHD
AVERAGE280 BHD
HIGH430 BHD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW52 BHD
AVERAGE180 BHD
HIGH270 BHD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW150 BHD
AVERAGE500 BHD
HIGH750 BHD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW120 BHD
AVERAGE430 BHD
HIGH640 BHD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Bahrain

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW36 BHD
AVERAGE210 BHD
HIGH460 BHD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW5.9 BHD
AVERAGE36 BHD
HIGH77 BHD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW10 BHD
AVERAGE62 BHD
HIGH130 BHD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW30 BHD
AVERAGE180 BHD
HIGH390 BHD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW8.9 BHD
AVERAGE53 BHD
HIGH120 BHD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW7.4 BHD
AVERAGE44 BHD
HIGH96 BHD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW28 BHD
AVERAGE170 BHD
HIGH370 BHD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW22 BHD
AVERAGE130 BHD
HIGH290 BHD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Bahrain typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 630 BHD with expenditure ranging from 160 BHD and 1,100 BHD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Bahrain ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 85 BHD with 19 BHD and 140 BHD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 43 BHD to 300 BHD on commuting with 180 BHD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Bahrain is 330 BHD. The cost of groceries can range between 82 BHD to 560 BHD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Bahrain allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 42 BHD to 290 BHD with 170 BHD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 25 BHD to 180 BHD with 100 BHD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 180 BHD per month with 47 BHD being the minimum spent amount and 310 BHD being the maximum.

©copound