Cost Of Living in Bangladesh

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Bangladesh

Whether you're living in Bangladesh or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
21,000 BDT
average per month
5,200 BDT
Range
44,000 BDT

Couple
39,000 BDT
average per month
7,800 BDT
Range
63,000 BDT

Family
63,000 BDT
average per month
18,000 BDT
Range
94,000 BDT

Student
16,000 BDT
average per month
2,600 BDT
Range
34,000 BDT
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Bangladesh is 21,000 BDT. Expenses can range from 5,200 BDT at the minimum level to 44,000 BDT at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Bangladesh is 39,000 BDT. Expenditure can range from 7,800 BDT to 63,000 BDT per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Bangladesh is 63,000 BDT per month. Families spend anywhere from 18,000 BDT to 94,000 BDT.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Bangladesh is 16,000 BDT. Students spend from 2,600 BDT to 34,000 BDT per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Bangladesh

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

5.2 BDT

5.2 BDT
5.2 BDT

Fast food
combo meal

52 BDT

37 BDT
87 BDT

Restaurant
meal for one

170 BDT

140 BDT
220 BDT

Fine dining
meal for one

440 BDT

290 BDT
520 BDT

Soda
Soft Drink

4.4 BDT

4.4 BDT
4.4 BDT

Cappuccino
or latte

35 BDT

22 BDT
52 BDT

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

26 BDT

22 BDT
29 BDT

Loaf of
bread

3.7 BDT

3.3 BDT
4.4 BDT

12
eggs

26 BDT

22 BDT
33 BDT

Fresh whole
chicken

61 BDT

47 BDT
75 BDT

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

69 BDT

58 BDT
87 BDT

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

37 BDT

33 BDT
44 BDT

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

17 BDT

15 BDT
22 BDT

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

19 BDT

16 BDT
20 BDT

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

18 BDT

16 BDT
20 BDT

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

26 BDT

22 BDT
52 BDT

Average car
full tank

170 BDT

130 BDT
350 BDT

Average car
1-day rental

170 BDT

130 BDT
260 BDT

Average car
price

130,000 BDT

65,000 BDT
170,000 BDT

Bus ticket
one way

6.5 BDT

4.4 BDT
13 BDT

Car
Service

260 BDT

170 BDT
520 BDT

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,300 BDT

310 BDT
2,700 BDT

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,600 BDT

390 BDT
3,100 BDT

Electricity
and water bill
Family

2,500 BDT

550 BDT
2,800 BDT

Internet
and cable

260 BDT

130 BDT
350 BDT

Mobile phone
charges

170 BDT

100 BDT
520 BDT

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

87 BDT

65 BDT
130 BDT

One month gym
membership

260 BDT

210 BDT
520 BDT

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

220 BDT

150 BDT
330 BDT

Woman
dress

200 BDT

150 BDT
650 BDT

Woman
shoes

190 BDT

140 BDT
440 BDT

Men
shoes

150 BDT

120 BDT
290 BDT

Men
suit

160 BDT

130 BDT
870 BDT

Regular
t-shirt

87 BDT

65 BDT
260 BDT

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

3,300 BDT

2,200 BDT
8,700 BDT

1-bedroom
apartment

5,200 BDT

3,300 BDT
13,000 BDT

2-bedroom
apartment

6,500 BDT

4,400 BDT
17,000 BDT

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

650,000 BDT

440,000 BDT
1,300,000 BDT

1-bedroom
apartment

870,000 BDT

520,000 BDT
3,300,000 BDT

2-bedroom
apartment

2,600,000 BDT

870,000 BDT
5,200,000 BDT

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

3,300 BDT

2,600 BDT
4,400 BDT

Double
Bed

2,600 BDT

1,700 BDT
3,300 BDT

Single
Bed

2,000 BDT

1,500 BDT
2,600 BDT

Living
Room

3,700 BDT

2,900 BDT
13,000 BDT

Dining
Table

1,700 BDT

1,300 BDT
3,300 BDT

Sofa
or Couch

2,400 BDT

1,700 BDT
5,200 BDT

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

2,600 BDT

1,700 BDT
5,200 BDT

Fridge
or Freezer

2,400 BDT

1,500 BDT
3,300 BDT

Washing
Machine

2,900 BDT

2,000 BDT
5,200 BDT

Stove
or Cooker

2,400 BDT

1,900 BDT
3,300 BDT

Mobile
Phone

2,600 BDT

2,200 BDT
3,700 BDT

Laptop
or Computer

2,900 BDT

2,400 BDT
5,200 BDT

How do people spend their money in Bangladesh?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Bangladesh

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,900 BDT
AVERAGE7,500 BDT
HIGH16,000 BDT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW310 BDT
AVERAGE1,300 BDT
HIGH2,700 BDT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW420 BDT
AVERAGE1,700 BDT
HIGH3,600 BDT
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW840 BDT
AVERAGE3,300 BDT
HIGH7,100 BDT
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW470 BDT
AVERAGE1,900 BDT
HIGH4,000 BDT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW260 BDT
AVERAGE1,000 BDT
HIGH2,200 BDT
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW100 BDT
AVERAGE420 BDT
HIGH890 BDT
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW940 BDT
AVERAGE3,800 BDT
HIGH8,000 BDT
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Bangladesh

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW2,600 BDT
AVERAGE13,000 BDT
HIGH21,000 BDT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW390 BDT
AVERAGE1,600 BDT
HIGH3,100 BDT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW940 BDT
AVERAGE4,700 BDT
HIGH7,500 BDT
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,100 BDT
AVERAGE5,500 BDT
HIGH8,800 BDT
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW860 BDT
AVERAGE4,300 BDT
HIGH6,900 BDT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW470 BDT
AVERAGE2,400 BDT
HIGH3,800 BDT
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW160 BDT
AVERAGE780 BDT
HIGH1,300 BDT
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,300 BDT
AVERAGE6,700 BDT
HIGH11,000 BDT
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Bangladesh

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW5,900 BDT
AVERAGE20,000 BDT
HIGH30,000 BDT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW550 BDT
AVERAGE2,500 BDT
HIGH2,800 BDT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,500 BDT
AVERAGE5,000 BDT
HIGH7,500 BDT
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW3,300 BDT
AVERAGE11,000 BDT
HIGH17,000 BDT
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,500 BDT
AVERAGE5,000 BDT
HIGH7,500 BDT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW910 BDT
AVERAGE3,100 BDT
HIGH4,700 BDT
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW2,600 BDT
AVERAGE8,800 BDT
HIGH13,000 BDT
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW2,200 BDT
AVERAGE7,500 BDT
HIGH11,000 BDT
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Bangladesh

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW630 BDT
AVERAGE3,800 BDT
HIGH8,100 BDT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW100 BDT
AVERAGE630 BDT
HIGH1,400 BDT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW180 BDT
AVERAGE1,100 BDT
HIGH2,400 BDT
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW520 BDT
AVERAGE3,100 BDT
HIGH6,800 BDT
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW160 BDT
AVERAGE940 BDT
HIGH2,000 BDT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW130 BDT
AVERAGE780 BDT
HIGH1,700 BDT
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW500 BDT
AVERAGE3,000 BDT
HIGH6,500 BDT
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW390 BDT
AVERAGE2,400 BDT
HIGH5,100 BDT
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Bangladesh typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 11,000 BDT with expenditure ranging from 2,700 BDT and 19,000 BDT. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Bangladesh ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,500 BDT with 340 BDT and 2,500 BDT being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 750 BDT to 5,200 BDT on commuting with 3,100 BDT being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Bangladesh is 5,800 BDT. The cost of groceries can range between 1,400 BDT to 9,900 BDT. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Bangladesh allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 740 BDT to 5,100 BDT with 3,000 BDT being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 440 BDT to 3,100 BDT with 1,800 BDT being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 3,200 BDT per month with 830 BDT being the minimum spent amount and 5,400 BDT being the maximum.

©copound