Cost Of Living in Barbados

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Barbados

Whether you're living in Barbados or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,600 BBD
average per month
650 BBD
Range
5,600 BBD

Couple
4,900 BBD
average per month
980 BBD
Range
7,800 BBD

Family
7,800 BBD
average per month
2,300 BBD
Range
12,000 BBD

Student
2,000 BBD
average per month
330 BBD
Range
4,200 BBD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Barbados is 2,600 BBD. Expenses can range from 650 BBD at the minimum level to 5,600 BBD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Barbados is 4,900 BBD. Expenditure can range from 980 BBD to 7,800 BBD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Barbados is 7,800 BBD per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,300 BBD to 12,000 BBD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Barbados is 2,000 BBD. Students spend from 330 BBD to 4,200 BBD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Barbados

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.65 BBD

0.65 BBD
0.65 BBD

Fast food
combo meal

6.5 BBD

4.7 BBD
11 BBD

Restaurant
meal for one

22 BBD

17 BBD
27 BBD

Fine dining
meal for one

54 BBD

36 BBD
65 BBD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.54 BBD

0.54 BBD
0.54 BBD

Cappuccino
or latte

4.4 BBD

2.7 BBD
6.5 BBD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.3 BBD

2.7 BBD
3.6 BBD

Loaf of
bread

0.47 BBD

0.41 BBD
0.54 BBD

12
eggs

3.3 BBD

2.7 BBD
4.1 BBD

Fresh whole
chicken

7.6 BBD

5.9 BBD
9.3 BBD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

8.6 BBD

7.3 BBD
11 BBD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

4.7 BBD

4.1 BBD
5.5 BBD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.2 BBD

1.8 BBD
2.7 BBD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.3 BBD

2.0 BBD
2.5 BBD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.3 BBD

2.0 BBD
2.5 BBD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.3 BBD

2.7 BBD
6.5 BBD

Average car
full tank

22 BBD

16 BBD
44 BBD

Average car
1-day rental

22 BBD

16 BBD
33 BBD

Average car
price

16,000 BBD

8,200 BBD
22,000 BBD

Bus ticket
one way

0.82 BBD

0.54 BBD
1.6 BBD

Car
Service

33 BBD

22 BBD
65 BBD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

160 BBD

39 BBD
330 BBD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

200 BBD

49 BBD
390 BBD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

310 BBD

69 BBD
350 BBD

Internet
and cable

33 BBD

16 BBD
44 BBD

Mobile phone
charges

22 BBD

13 BBD
65 BBD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

11 BBD

8.2 BBD
16 BBD

One month gym
membership

33 BBD

26 BBD
65 BBD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

27 BBD

19 BBD
41 BBD

Woman
dress

25 BBD

18 BBD
82 BBD

Woman
shoes

23 BBD

17 BBD
54 BBD

Men
shoes

18 BBD

15 BBD
36 BBD

Men
suit

20 BBD

16 BBD
110 BBD

Regular
t-shirt

11 BBD

8.2 BBD
33 BBD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

410 BBD

270 BBD
1,100 BBD

1-bedroom
apartment

650 BBD

410 BBD
1,600 BBD

2-bedroom
apartment

820 BBD

540 BBD
2,200 BBD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

82,000 BBD

54,000 BBD
160,000 BBD

1-bedroom
apartment

110,000 BBD

65,000 BBD
410,000 BBD

2-bedroom
apartment

330,000 BBD

110,000 BBD
650,000 BBD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

410 BBD

330 BBD
540 BBD

Double
Bed

330 BBD

220 BBD
410 BBD

Single
Bed

250 BBD

190 BBD
330 BBD

Living
Room

470 BBD

360 BBD
1,600 BBD

Dining
Table

220 BBD

160 BBD
410 BBD

Sofa
or Couch

300 BBD

220 BBD
650 BBD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

330 BBD

220 BBD
650 BBD

Fridge
or Freezer

300 BBD

190 BBD
410 BBD

Washing
Machine

360 BBD

250 BBD
650 BBD

Stove
or Cooker

300 BBD

230 BBD
410 BBD

Mobile
Phone

330 BBD

270 BBD
470 BBD

Laptop
or Computer

360 BBD

300 BBD
650 BBD

How do people spend their money in Barbados?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Barbados

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW240 BBD
AVERAGE940 BBD
HIGH2,000 BBD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW39 BBD
AVERAGE160 BBD
HIGH330 BBD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW52 BBD
AVERAGE210 BBD
HIGH440 BBD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW100 BBD
AVERAGE420 BBD
HIGH890 BBD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW59 BBD
AVERAGE240 BBD
HIGH500 BBD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW33 BBD
AVERAGE130 BBD
HIGH280 BBD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW13 BBD
AVERAGE52 BBD
HIGH110 BBD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW120 BBD
AVERAGE470 BBD
HIGH1,000 BBD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Barbados

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW320 BBD
AVERAGE1,600 BBD
HIGH2,600 BBD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW49 BBD
AVERAGE200 BBD
HIGH390 BBD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW120 BBD
AVERAGE590 BBD
HIGH940 BBD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW140 BBD
AVERAGE690 BBD
HIGH1,100 BBD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW110 BBD
AVERAGE540 BBD
HIGH860 BBD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW59 BBD
AVERAGE290 BBD
HIGH470 BBD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW20 BBD
AVERAGE98 BBD
HIGH160 BBD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW170 BBD
AVERAGE830 BBD
HIGH1,300 BBD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Barbados

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW730 BBD
AVERAGE2,500 BBD
HIGH3,800 BBD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW69 BBD
AVERAGE310 BBD
HIGH350 BBD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW180 BBD
AVERAGE630 BBD
HIGH940 BBD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW410 BBD
AVERAGE1,400 BBD
HIGH2,100 BBD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW180 BBD
AVERAGE630 BBD
HIGH940 BBD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW110 BBD
AVERAGE390 BBD
HIGH590 BBD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW320 BBD
AVERAGE1,100 BBD
HIGH1,600 BBD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW270 BBD
AVERAGE940 BBD
HIGH1,400 BBD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Barbados

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW78 BBD
AVERAGE470 BBD
HIGH1,000 BBD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW13 BBD
AVERAGE78 BBD
HIGH170 BBD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW23 BBD
AVERAGE140 BBD
HIGH300 BBD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW65 BBD
AVERAGE390 BBD
HIGH850 BBD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW20 BBD
AVERAGE120 BBD
HIGH250 BBD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW16 BBD
AVERAGE98 BBD
HIGH210 BBD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW62 BBD
AVERAGE370 BBD
HIGH810 BBD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW49 BBD
AVERAGE290 BBD
HIGH640 BBD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Barbados typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,400 BBD with expenditure ranging from 340 BBD and 2,300 BBD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Barbados ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 190 BBD with 42 BBD and 310 BBD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 94 BBD to 660 BBD on commuting with 390 BBD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Barbados is 730 BBD. The cost of groceries can range between 180 BBD to 1,200 BBD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Barbados allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 92 BBD to 640 BBD with 380 BBD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 56 BBD to 390 BBD with 230 BBD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 410 BBD per month with 100 BBD being the minimum spent amount and 680 BBD being the maximum.

©copound