Cost Of Living in Belgium

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Belgium

Whether you're living in Belgium or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
4,900 EUR
average per month
1,200 EUR
Range
10,000 EUR

Couple
9,300 EUR
average per month
1,900 EUR
Range
15,000 EUR

Family
15,000 EUR
average per month
4,300 EUR
Range
22,000 EUR

Student
3,700 EUR
average per month
620 EUR
Range
8,000 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Belgium is 4,900 EUR. Expenses can range from 1,200 EUR at the minimum level to 10,000 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Belgium is 9,300 EUR. Expenditure can range from 1,900 EUR to 15,000 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Belgium is 15,000 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 4,300 EUR to 22,000 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Belgium is 3,700 EUR. Students spend from 620 EUR to 8,000 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Belgium

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.2 EUR

1.2 EUR
1.2 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

12 EUR

8.8 EUR
21 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

41 EUR

32 EUR
51 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

100 EUR

69 EUR
120 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

1.0 EUR

1.0 EUR
1.0 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

8.2 EUR

5.1 EUR
12 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

6.2 EUR

5.1 EUR
6.9 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.88 EUR

0.77 EUR
1.0 EUR

12
eggs

6.2 EUR

5.1 EUR
7.7 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

14 EUR

11 EUR
18 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

16 EUR

14 EUR
21 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

8.8 EUR

7.7 EUR
10 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

4.1 EUR

3.4 EUR
5.1 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

4.4 EUR

3.9 EUR
4.7 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

4.3 EUR

3.7 EUR
4.7 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

6.2 EUR

5.1 EUR
12 EUR

Average car
full tank

41 EUR

31 EUR
82 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

41 EUR

31 EUR
62 EUR

Average car
price

31,000 EUR

15,000 EUR
41,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

1.5 EUR

1.0 EUR
3.1 EUR

Car
Service

62 EUR

41 EUR
120 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

300 EUR

74 EUR
630 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

370 EUR

93 EUR
740 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

590 EUR

130 EUR
670 EUR

Internet
and cable

62 EUR

31 EUR
82 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

41 EUR

25 EUR
120 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

21 EUR

15 EUR
31 EUR

One month gym
membership

62 EUR

49 EUR
120 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

51 EUR

36 EUR
77 EUR

Woman
dress

47 EUR

34 EUR
150 EUR

Woman
shoes

44 EUR

32 EUR
100 EUR

Men
shoes

34 EUR

28 EUR
69 EUR

Men
suit

39 EUR

31 EUR
210 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

21 EUR

15 EUR
62 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

770 EUR

510 EUR
2,100 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

1,200 EUR

770 EUR
3,100 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

1,500 EUR

1,000 EUR
4,100 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

150,000 EUR

100,000 EUR
310,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

210,000 EUR

120,000 EUR
770,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

620,000 EUR

210,000 EUR
1,200,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

770 EUR

620 EUR
1,000 EUR

Double
Bed

620 EUR

410 EUR
770 EUR

Single
Bed

470 EUR

360 EUR
620 EUR

Living
Room

880 EUR

690 EUR
3,100 EUR

Dining
Table

410 EUR

310 EUR
770 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

560 EUR

410 EUR
1,200 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

620 EUR

410 EUR
1,200 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

560 EUR

360 EUR
770 EUR

Washing
Machine

690 EUR

470 EUR
1,200 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

560 EUR

440 EUR
770 EUR

Mobile
Phone

620 EUR

510 EUR
880 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

690 EUR

560 EUR
1,200 EUR

How do people spend their money in Belgium?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Belgium

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW440 EUR
AVERAGE1,800 EUR
HIGH3,800 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW74 EUR
AVERAGE300 EUR
HIGH630 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW99 EUR
AVERAGE390 EUR
HIGH840 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW200 EUR
AVERAGE790 EUR
HIGH1,700 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE440 EUR
HIGH940 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW62 EUR
AVERAGE250 EUR
HIGH520 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW25 EUR
AVERAGE99 EUR
HIGH210 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW220 EUR
AVERAGE890 EUR
HIGH1,900 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Belgium

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW610 EUR
AVERAGE3,100 EUR
HIGH4,900 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW93 EUR
AVERAGE370 EUR
HIGH740 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW220 EUR
AVERAGE1,100 EUR
HIGH1,800 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW260 EUR
AVERAGE1,300 EUR
HIGH2,100 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW200 EUR
AVERAGE1,000 EUR
HIGH1,600 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE560 EUR
HIGH890 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW37 EUR
AVERAGE190 EUR
HIGH300 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW310 EUR
AVERAGE1,600 EUR
HIGH2,500 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Belgium

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,400 EUR
AVERAGE4,700 EUR
HIGH7,100 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW130 EUR
AVERAGE590 EUR
HIGH670 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW350 EUR
AVERAGE1,200 EUR
HIGH1,800 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW780 EUR
AVERAGE2,700 EUR
HIGH4,000 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW350 EUR
AVERAGE1,200 EUR
HIGH1,800 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW220 EUR
AVERAGE740 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW600 EUR
AVERAGE2,100 EUR
HIGH3,100 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW520 EUR
AVERAGE1,800 EUR
HIGH2,700 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Belgium

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW150 EUR
AVERAGE890 EUR
HIGH1,900 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW25 EUR
AVERAGE150 EUR
HIGH320 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW43 EUR
AVERAGE260 EUR
HIGH560 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE740 EUR
HIGH1,600 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW37 EUR
AVERAGE220 EUR
HIGH480 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW31 EUR
AVERAGE190 EUR
HIGH400 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE700 EUR
HIGH1,500 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW93 EUR
AVERAGE560 EUR
HIGH1,200 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Belgium typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,600 EUR with expenditure ranging from 650 EUR and 4,400 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Belgium ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 350 EUR with 80 EUR and 590 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 180 EUR to 1,200 EUR on commuting with 740 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Belgium is 1,400 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 340 EUR to 2,300 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Belgium allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 170 EUR to 1,200 EUR with 720 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 100 EUR to 730 EUR with 430 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 760 EUR per month with 200 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 1,300 EUR being the maximum.

©copound