Cost Of Living in Belize

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Belize

Whether you're living in Belize or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,100 BZD
average per month
790 BZD
Range
6,700 BZD

Couple
5,900 BZD
average per month
1,200 BZD
Range
9,400 BZD

Family
9,400 BZD
average per month
2,800 BZD
Range
14,000 BZD

Student
2,400 BZD
average per month
390 BZD
Range
5,100 BZD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Belize is 3,100 BZD. Expenses can range from 790 BZD at the minimum level to 6,700 BZD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Belize is 5,900 BZD. Expenditure can range from 1,200 BZD to 9,400 BZD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Belize is 9,400 BZD per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,800 BZD to 14,000 BZD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Belize is 2,400 BZD. Students spend from 390 BZD to 5,100 BZD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Belize

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.79 BZD

0.79 BZD
0.79 BZD

Fast food
combo meal

7.9 BZD

5.6 BZD
13 BZD

Restaurant
meal for one

26 BZD

21 BZD
33 BZD

Fine dining
meal for one

66 BZD

44 BZD
79 BZD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.66 BZD

0.66 BZD
0.66 BZD

Cappuccino
or latte

5.3 BZD

3.3 BZD
7.9 BZD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.9 BZD

3.3 BZD
4.4 BZD

Loaf of
bread

0.56 BZD

0.49 BZD
0.66 BZD

12
eggs

3.9 BZD

3.3 BZD
4.9 BZD

Fresh whole
chicken

9.2 BZD

7.2 BZD
11 BZD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

10 BZD

8.7 BZD
13 BZD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

5.6 BZD

4.9 BZD
6.6 BZD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.6 BZD

2.2 BZD
3.3 BZD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.8 BZD

2.5 BZD
3.0 BZD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.7 BZD

2.4 BZD
3.0 BZD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.9 BZD

3.3 BZD
7.9 BZD

Average car
full tank

26 BZD

20 BZD
52 BZD

Average car
1-day rental

26 BZD

20 BZD
39 BZD

Average car
price

20,000 BZD

9,800 BZD
26,000 BZD

Bus ticket
one way

0.98 BZD

0.66 BZD
2.0 BZD

Car
Service

39 BZD

26 BZD
79 BZD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

190 BZD

47 BZD
400 BZD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

240 BZD

59 BZD
470 BZD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

380 BZD

83 BZD
420 BZD

Internet
and cable

39 BZD

20 BZD
52 BZD

Mobile phone
charges

26 BZD

16 BZD
79 BZD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

13 BZD

9.8 BZD
20 BZD

One month gym
membership

39 BZD

31 BZD
79 BZD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

33 BZD

23 BZD
49 BZD

Woman
dress

30 BZD

22 BZD
98 BZD

Woman
shoes

28 BZD

21 BZD
66 BZD

Men
shoes

22 BZD

18 BZD
44 BZD

Men
suit

25 BZD

20 BZD
130 BZD

Regular
t-shirt

13 BZD

9.8 BZD
39 BZD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

490 BZD

330 BZD
1,300 BZD

1-bedroom
apartment

790 BZD

490 BZD
2,000 BZD

2-bedroom
apartment

980 BZD

660 BZD
2,600 BZD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

98,000 BZD

66,000 BZD
200,000 BZD

1-bedroom
apartment

130,000 BZD

79,000 BZD
490,000 BZD

2-bedroom
apartment

390,000 BZD

130,000 BZD
790,000 BZD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

490 BZD

390 BZD
660 BZD

Double
Bed

390 BZD

260 BZD
490 BZD

Single
Bed

300 BZD

230 BZD
390 BZD

Living
Room

560 BZD

440 BZD
2,000 BZD

Dining
Table

260 BZD

200 BZD
490 BZD

Sofa
or Couch

360 BZD

260 BZD
790 BZD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

390 BZD

260 BZD
790 BZD

Fridge
or Freezer

360 BZD

230 BZD
490 BZD

Washing
Machine

440 BZD

300 BZD
790 BZD

Stove
or Cooker

360 BZD

280 BZD
490 BZD

Mobile
Phone

390 BZD

330 BZD
560 BZD

Laptop
or Computer

440 BZD

360 BZD
790 BZD

How do people spend their money in Belize?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Belize

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW280 BZD
AVERAGE1,100 BZD
HIGH2,400 BZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW47 BZD
AVERAGE190 BZD
HIGH400 BZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW63 BZD
AVERAGE250 BZD
HIGH540 BZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW130 BZD
AVERAGE500 BZD
HIGH1,100 BZD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW71 BZD
AVERAGE280 BZD
HIGH600 BZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW39 BZD
AVERAGE160 BZD
HIGH330 BZD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW16 BZD
AVERAGE63 BZD
HIGH130 BZD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW140 BZD
AVERAGE570 BZD
HIGH1,200 BZD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Belize

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW390 BZD
AVERAGE1,900 BZD
HIGH3,100 BZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW59 BZD
AVERAGE240 BZD
HIGH470 BZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW140 BZD
AVERAGE710 BZD
HIGH1,100 BZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW170 BZD
AVERAGE830 BZD
HIGH1,300 BZD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW130 BZD
AVERAGE650 BZD
HIGH1,000 BZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW71 BZD
AVERAGE350 BZD
HIGH570 BZD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW24 BZD
AVERAGE120 BZD
HIGH190 BZD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW200 BZD
AVERAGE1,000 BZD
HIGH1,600 BZD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Belize

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW880 BZD
AVERAGE3,000 BZD
HIGH4,500 BZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW83 BZD
AVERAGE380 BZD
HIGH420 BZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW220 BZD
AVERAGE760 BZD
HIGH1,100 BZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW500 BZD
AVERAGE1,700 BZD
HIGH2,500 BZD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW220 BZD
AVERAGE760 BZD
HIGH1,100 BZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW140 BZD
AVERAGE470 BZD
HIGH710 BZD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW390 BZD
AVERAGE1,300 BZD
HIGH2,000 BZD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW330 BZD
AVERAGE1,100 BZD
HIGH1,700 BZD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Belize

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW94 BZD
AVERAGE570 BZD
HIGH1,200 BZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW16 BZD
AVERAGE94 BZD
HIGH200 BZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW28 BZD
AVERAGE170 BZD
HIGH360 BZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW79 BZD
AVERAGE470 BZD
HIGH1,000 BZD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW24 BZD
AVERAGE140 BZD
HIGH310 BZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW20 BZD
AVERAGE120 BZD
HIGH260 BZD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW75 BZD
AVERAGE450 BZD
HIGH970 BZD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW59 BZD
AVERAGE350 BZD
HIGH770 BZD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Belize typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,700 BZD with expenditure ranging from 410 BZD and 2,800 BZD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Belize ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 220 BZD with 51 BZD and 380 BZD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 110 BZD to 790 BZD on commuting with 470 BZD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Belize is 880 BZD. The cost of groceries can range between 220 BZD to 1,500 BZD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Belize allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 110 BZD to 770 BZD with 460 BZD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 67 BZD to 470 BZD with 280 BZD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 490 BZD per month with 120 BZD being the minimum spent amount and 820 BZD being the maximum.

©copound