Cost Of Living in Bermuda

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Bermuda

Whether you're living in Bermuda or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,300 BMD
average per month
320 BMD
Range
2,700 BMD

Couple
2,400 BMD
average per month
480 BMD
Range
3,800 BMD

Family
3,800 BMD
average per month
1,100 BMD
Range
5,800 BMD

Student
960 BMD
average per month
160 BMD
Range
2,100 BMD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Bermuda is 1,300 BMD. Expenses can range from 320 BMD at the minimum level to 2,700 BMD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Bermuda is 2,400 BMD. Expenditure can range from 480 BMD to 3,800 BMD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Bermuda is 3,800 BMD per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,100 BMD to 5,800 BMD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Bermuda is 960 BMD. Students spend from 160 BMD to 2,100 BMD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Bermuda

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.32 BMD

0.32 BMD
0.32 BMD

Fast food
combo meal

3.2 BMD

2.3 BMD
5.3 BMD

Restaurant
meal for one

11 BMD

8.4 BMD
13 BMD

Fine dining
meal for one

27 BMD

18 BMD
32 BMD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.27 BMD

0.27 BMD
0.27 BMD

Cappuccino
or latte

2.1 BMD

1.3 BMD
3.2 BMD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1.6 BMD

1.3 BMD
1.8 BMD

Loaf of
bread

0.23 BMD

0.20 BMD
0.27 BMD

12
eggs

1.6 BMD

1.3 BMD
2.0 BMD

Fresh whole
chicken

3.7 BMD

2.9 BMD
4.6 BMD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

4.2 BMD

3.6 BMD
5.3 BMD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2.3 BMD

2.0 BMD
2.7 BMD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.1 BMD

0.89 BMD
1.3 BMD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.1 BMD

1.0 BMD
1.2 BMD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.1 BMD

0.97 BMD
1.2 BMD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1.6 BMD

1.3 BMD
3.2 BMD

Average car
full tank

11 BMD

8.0 BMD
21 BMD

Average car
1-day rental

11 BMD

8.0 BMD
16 BMD

Average car
price

8,000 BMD

4,000 BMD
11,000 BMD

Bus ticket
one way

0.40 BMD

0.27 BMD
0.80 BMD

Car
Service

16 BMD

11 BMD
32 BMD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

77 BMD

19 BMD
160 BMD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

96 BMD

24 BMD
190 BMD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

150 BMD

34 BMD
170 BMD

Internet
and cable

16 BMD

8.0 BMD
21 BMD

Mobile phone
charges

11 BMD

6.4 BMD
32 BMD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

5.3 BMD

4.0 BMD
8.0 BMD

One month gym
membership

16 BMD

13 BMD
32 BMD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

13 BMD

9.4 BMD
20 BMD

Woman
dress

12 BMD

8.9 BMD
40 BMD

Woman
shoes

11 BMD

8.4 BMD
27 BMD

Men
shoes

8.9 BMD

7.3 BMD
18 BMD

Men
suit

10 BMD

8.0 BMD
53 BMD

Regular
t-shirt

5.3 BMD

4.0 BMD
16 BMD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

200 BMD

130 BMD
530 BMD

1-bedroom
apartment

320 BMD

200 BMD
800 BMD

2-bedroom
apartment

400 BMD

270 BMD
1,100 BMD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

40,000 BMD

27,000 BMD
80,000 BMD

1-bedroom
apartment

53,000 BMD

32,000 BMD
200,000 BMD

2-bedroom
apartment

160,000 BMD

53,000 BMD
320,000 BMD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

200 BMD

160 BMD
270 BMD

Double
Bed

160 BMD

110 BMD
200 BMD

Single
Bed

120 BMD

94 BMD
160 BMD

Living
Room

230 BMD

180 BMD
800 BMD

Dining
Table

110 BMD

80 BMD
200 BMD

Sofa
or Couch

150 BMD

110 BMD
320 BMD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

160 BMD

110 BMD
320 BMD

Fridge
or Freezer

150 BMD

94 BMD
200 BMD

Washing
Machine

180 BMD

120 BMD
320 BMD

Stove
or Cooker

150 BMD

110 BMD
200 BMD

Mobile
Phone

160 BMD

130 BMD
230 BMD

Laptop
or Computer

180 BMD

150 BMD
320 BMD

How do people spend their money in Bermuda?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Bermuda

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW120 BMD
AVERAGE460 BMD
HIGH980 BMD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW19 BMD
AVERAGE77 BMD
HIGH160 BMD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW26 BMD
AVERAGE100 BMD
HIGH220 BMD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW51 BMD
AVERAGE200 BMD
HIGH440 BMD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW29 BMD
AVERAGE120 BMD
HIGH240 BMD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW16 BMD
AVERAGE64 BMD
HIGH140 BMD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW6.4 BMD
AVERAGE26 BMD
HIGH54 BMD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW58 BMD
AVERAGE230 BMD
HIGH490 BMD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Bermuda

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW160 BMD
AVERAGE790 BMD
HIGH1,300 BMD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW24 BMD
AVERAGE96 BMD
HIGH190 BMD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW58 BMD
AVERAGE290 BMD
HIGH460 BMD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW67 BMD
AVERAGE340 BMD
HIGH540 BMD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW53 BMD
AVERAGE260 BMD
HIGH420 BMD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW29 BMD
AVERAGE140 BMD
HIGH230 BMD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW9.6 BMD
AVERAGE48 BMD
HIGH77 BMD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW82 BMD
AVERAGE410 BMD
HIGH650 BMD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Bermuda

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW360 BMD
AVERAGE1,200 BMD
HIGH1,800 BMD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW34 BMD
AVERAGE150 BMD
HIGH170 BMD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW90 BMD
AVERAGE310 BMD
HIGH460 BMD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW200 BMD
AVERAGE690 BMD
HIGH1,000 BMD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW90 BMD
AVERAGE310 BMD
HIGH460 BMD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW56 BMD
AVERAGE190 BMD
HIGH290 BMD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW160 BMD
AVERAGE540 BMD
HIGH810 BMD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW130 BMD
AVERAGE460 BMD
HIGH690 BMD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Bermuda

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW38 BMD
AVERAGE230 BMD
HIGH500 BMD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW6.4 BMD
AVERAGE38 BMD
HIGH83 BMD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW11 BMD
AVERAGE67 BMD
HIGH150 BMD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW32 BMD
AVERAGE190 BMD
HIGH420 BMD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW9.6 BMD
AVERAGE58 BMD
HIGH120 BMD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW8.0 BMD
AVERAGE48 BMD
HIGH100 BMD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW30 BMD
AVERAGE180 BMD
HIGH400 BMD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW24 BMD
AVERAGE140 BMD
HIGH310 BMD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Bermuda typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 680 BMD with expenditure ranging from 170 BMD and 1,100 BMD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Bermuda ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 91 BMD with 21 BMD and 150 BMD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 46 BMD to 320 BMD on commuting with 190 BMD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Bermuda is 360 BMD. The cost of groceries can range between 88 BMD to 610 BMD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Bermuda allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 45 BMD to 310 BMD with 190 BMD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 27 BMD to 190 BMD with 110 BMD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 200 BMD per month with 51 BMD being the minimum spent amount and 330 BMD being the maximum.

©copound