Cost Of Living in Bhutan

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Bhutan

Whether you're living in Bhutan or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
30,000 BTN
average per month
7,500 BTN
Range
64,000 BTN

Couple
56,000 BTN
average per month
11,000 BTN
Range
90,000 BTN

Family
90,000 BTN
average per month
26,000 BTN
Range
130,000 BTN

Student
22,000 BTN
average per month
3,700 BTN
Range
49,000 BTN
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Bhutan is 30,000 BTN. Expenses can range from 7,500 BTN at the minimum level to 64,000 BTN at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Bhutan is 56,000 BTN. Expenditure can range from 11,000 BTN to 90,000 BTN per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Bhutan is 90,000 BTN per month. Families spend anywhere from 26,000 BTN to 130,000 BTN.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Bhutan is 22,000 BTN. Students spend from 3,700 BTN to 49,000 BTN per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Bhutan

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

7.5 BTN

7.5 BTN
7.5 BTN

Fast food
combo meal

75 BTN

53 BTN
120 BTN

Restaurant
meal for one

250 BTN

200 BTN
310 BTN

Fine dining
meal for one

620 BTN

420 BTN
750 BTN

Soda
Soft Drink

6.2 BTN

6.2 BTN
6.2 BTN

Cappuccino
or latte

50 BTN

31 BTN
75 BTN

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

37 BTN

31 BTN
42 BTN

Loaf of
bread

5.3 BTN

4.7 BTN
6.2 BTN

12
eggs

37 BTN

31 BTN
47 BTN

Fresh whole
chicken

87 BTN

68 BTN
110 BTN

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

98 BTN

83 BTN
120 BTN

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

53 BTN

47 BTN
62 BTN

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

25 BTN

21 BTN
31 BTN

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

27 BTN

23 BTN
29 BTN

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

26 BTN

23 BTN
29 BTN

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

37 BTN

31 BTN
75 BTN

Average car
full tank

250 BTN

190 BTN
500 BTN

Average car
1-day rental

250 BTN

190 BTN
370 BTN

Average car
price

190,000 BTN

93,000 BTN
250,000 BTN

Bus ticket
one way

9.4 BTN

6.2 BTN
19 BTN

Car
Service

370 BTN

250 BTN
750 BTN

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,800 BTN

450 BTN
3,800 BTN

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

2,200 BTN

560 BTN
4,500 BTN

Electricity
and water bill
Family

3,600 BTN

790 BTN
4,000 BTN

Internet
and cable

370 BTN

190 BTN
500 BTN

Mobile phone
charges

250 BTN

150 BTN
750 BTN

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

120 BTN

93 BTN
190 BTN

One month gym
membership

370 BTN

300 BTN
750 BTN

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

310 BTN

220 BTN
470 BTN

Woman
dress

290 BTN

210 BTN
930 BTN

Woman
shoes

270 BTN

200 BTN
620 BTN

Men
shoes

210 BTN

170 BTN
420 BTN

Men
suit

230 BTN

190 BTN
1,200 BTN

Regular
t-shirt

120 BTN

93 BTN
370 BTN

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

4,700 BTN

3,100 BTN
12,000 BTN

1-bedroom
apartment

7,500 BTN

4,700 BTN
19,000 BTN

2-bedroom
apartment

9,300 BTN

6,200 BTN
25,000 BTN

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

930,000 BTN

620,000 BTN
1,900,000 BTN

1-bedroom
apartment

1,200,000 BTN

750,000 BTN
4,700,000 BTN

2-bedroom
apartment

3,700,000 BTN

1,200,000 BTN
7,500,000 BTN

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

4,700 BTN

3,700 BTN
6,200 BTN

Double
Bed

3,700 BTN

2,500 BTN
4,700 BTN

Single
Bed

2,900 BTN

2,200 BTN
3,700 BTN

Living
Room

5,300 BTN

4,200 BTN
19,000 BTN

Dining
Table

2,500 BTN

1,900 BTN
4,700 BTN

Sofa
or Couch

3,400 BTN

2,500 BTN
7,500 BTN

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

3,700 BTN

2,500 BTN
7,500 BTN

Fridge
or Freezer

3,400 BTN

2,200 BTN
4,700 BTN

Washing
Machine

4,200 BTN

2,900 BTN
7,500 BTN

Stove
or Cooker

3,400 BTN

2,700 BTN
4,700 BTN

Mobile
Phone

3,700 BTN

3,100 BTN
5,300 BTN

Laptop
or Computer

4,200 BTN

3,400 BTN
7,500 BTN

How do people spend their money in Bhutan?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Bhutan

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW2,700 BTN
AVERAGE11,000 BTN
HIGH23,000 BTN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW450 BTN
AVERAGE1,800 BTN
HIGH3,800 BTN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW600 BTN
AVERAGE2,400 BTN
HIGH5,100 BTN
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,200 BTN
AVERAGE4,800 BTN
HIGH10,000 BTN
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW670 BTN
AVERAGE2,700 BTN
HIGH5,700 BTN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW370 BTN
AVERAGE1,500 BTN
HIGH3,200 BTN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW150 BTN
AVERAGE600 BTN
HIGH1,300 BTN
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,300 BTN
AVERAGE5,400 BTN
HIGH11,000 BTN
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Bhutan

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW3,700 BTN
AVERAGE19,000 BTN
HIGH30,000 BTN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW560 BTN
AVERAGE2,200 BTN
HIGH4,500 BTN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,300 BTN
AVERAGE6,700 BTN
HIGH11,000 BTN
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,600 BTN
AVERAGE7,900 BTN
HIGH13,000 BTN
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,200 BTN
AVERAGE6,200 BTN
HIGH9,900 BTN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW670 BTN
AVERAGE3,400 BTN
HIGH5,400 BTN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW220 BTN
AVERAGE1,100 BTN
HIGH1,800 BTN
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,900 BTN
AVERAGE9,500 BTN
HIGH15,000 BTN
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Bhutan

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW8,400 BTN
AVERAGE29,000 BTN
HIGH43,000 BTN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW790 BTN
AVERAGE3,600 BTN
HIGH4,000 BTN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW2,100 BTN
AVERAGE7,200 BTN
HIGH11,000 BTN
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW4,700 BTN
AVERAGE16,000 BTN
HIGH24,000 BTN
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW2,100 BTN
AVERAGE7,200 BTN
HIGH11,000 BTN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,300 BTN
AVERAGE4,500 BTN
HIGH6,700 BTN
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW3,700 BTN
AVERAGE13,000 BTN
HIGH19,000 BTN
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW3,100 BTN
AVERAGE11,000 BTN
HIGH16,000 BTN
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Bhutan

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW900 BTN
AVERAGE5,400 BTN
HIGH12,000 BTN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW150 BTN
AVERAGE900 BTN
HIGH1,900 BTN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW260 BTN
AVERAGE1,600 BTN
HIGH3,400 BTN
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW750 BTN
AVERAGE4,500 BTN
HIGH9,700 BTN
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW220 BTN
AVERAGE1,300 BTN
HIGH2,900 BTN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW190 BTN
AVERAGE1,100 BTN
HIGH2,400 BTN
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW710 BTN
AVERAGE4,300 BTN
HIGH9,200 BTN
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW560 BTN
AVERAGE3,400 BTN
HIGH7,300 BTN
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Bhutan typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 16,000 BTN with expenditure ranging from 3,900 BTN and 27,000 BTN. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Bhutan ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 2,100 BTN with 490 BTN and 3,600 BTN being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 1,100 BTN to 7,500 BTN on commuting with 4,500 BTN being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Bhutan is 8,300 BTN. The cost of groceries can range between 2,100 BTN to 14,000 BTN. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Bhutan allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 1,100 BTN to 7,300 BTN with 4,300 BTN being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 640 BTN to 4,400 BTN with 2,600 BTN being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 4,600 BTN per month with 1,200 BTN being the minimum spent amount and 7,800 BTN being the maximum.

©copound