Cost Of Living in Bolivia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Bolivia

Whether you're living in Bolivia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
6,800 BOB
average per month
1,700 BOB
Range
15,000 BOB

Couple
13,000 BOB
average per month
2,600 BOB
Range
21,000 BOB

Family
21,000 BOB
average per month
6,000 BOB
Range
31,000 BOB

Student
5,100 BOB
average per month
860 BOB
Range
11,000 BOB
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Bolivia is 6,800 BOB. Expenses can range from 1,700 BOB at the minimum level to 15,000 BOB at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Bolivia is 13,000 BOB. Expenditure can range from 2,600 BOB to 21,000 BOB per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Bolivia is 21,000 BOB per month. Families spend anywhere from 6,000 BOB to 31,000 BOB.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Bolivia is 5,100 BOB. Students spend from 860 BOB to 11,000 BOB per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Bolivia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.7 BOB

1.7 BOB
1.7 BOB

Fast food
combo meal

17 BOB

12 BOB
29 BOB

Restaurant
meal for one

57 BOB

45 BOB
71 BOB

Fine dining
meal for one

140 BOB

95 BOB
170 BOB

Soda
Soft Drink

1.4 BOB

1.4 BOB
1.4 BOB

Cappuccino
or latte

11 BOB

7.1 BOB
17 BOB

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

8.6 BOB

7.1 BOB
9.5 BOB

Loaf of
bread

1.2 BOB

1.1 BOB
1.4 BOB

12
eggs

8.6 BOB

7.1 BOB
11 BOB

Fresh whole
chicken

20 BOB

16 BOB
24 BOB

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

23 BOB

19 BOB
29 BOB

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

12 BOB

11 BOB
14 BOB

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

5.7 BOB

4.8 BOB
7.1 BOB

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

6.1 BOB

5.4 BOB
6.6 BOB

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

5.9 BOB

5.2 BOB
6.6 BOB

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

8.6 BOB

7.1 BOB
17 BOB

Average car
full tank

57 BOB

43 BOB
110 BOB

Average car
1-day rental

57 BOB

43 BOB
86 BOB

Average car
price

43,000 BOB

21,000 BOB
57,000 BOB

Bus ticket
one way

2.1 BOB

1.4 BOB
4.3 BOB

Car
Service

86 BOB

57 BOB
170 BOB

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

410 BOB

100 BOB
870 BOB

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

510 BOB

130 BOB
1,000 BOB

Electricity
and water bill
Family

820 BOB

180 BOB
920 BOB

Internet
and cable

86 BOB

43 BOB
110 BOB

Mobile phone
charges

57 BOB

34 BOB
170 BOB

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

29 BOB

21 BOB
43 BOB

One month gym
membership

86 BOB

68 BOB
170 BOB

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

71 BOB

50 BOB
110 BOB

Woman
dress

66 BOB

48 BOB
210 BOB

Woman
shoes

61 BOB

45 BOB
140 BOB

Men
shoes

48 BOB

39 BOB
95 BOB

Men
suit

53 BOB

43 BOB
290 BOB

Regular
t-shirt

29 BOB

21 BOB
86 BOB

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,100 BOB

710 BOB
2,900 BOB

1-bedroom
apartment

1,700 BOB

1,100 BOB
4,300 BOB

2-bedroom
apartment

2,100 BOB

1,400 BOB
5,700 BOB

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

210,000 BOB

140,000 BOB
430,000 BOB

1-bedroom
apartment

290,000 BOB

170,000 BOB
1,100,000 BOB

2-bedroom
apartment

860,000 BOB

290,000 BOB
1,700,000 BOB

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,100 BOB

860 BOB
1,400 BOB

Double
Bed

860 BOB

570 BOB
1,100 BOB

Single
Bed

660 BOB

500 BOB
860 BOB

Living
Room

1,200 BOB

950 BOB
4,300 BOB

Dining
Table

570 BOB

430 BOB
1,100 BOB

Sofa
or Couch

780 BOB

570 BOB
1,700 BOB

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

860 BOB

570 BOB
1,700 BOB

Fridge
or Freezer

780 BOB

500 BOB
1,100 BOB

Washing
Machine

950 BOB

660 BOB
1,700 BOB

Stove
or Cooker

780 BOB

610 BOB
1,100 BOB

Mobile
Phone

860 BOB

710 BOB
1,200 BOB

Laptop
or Computer

950 BOB

780 BOB
1,700 BOB

How do people spend their money in Bolivia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Bolivia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW620 BOB
AVERAGE2,500 BOB
HIGH5,200 BOB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW100 BOB
AVERAGE410 BOB
HIGH870 BOB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW140 BOB
AVERAGE550 BOB
HIGH1,200 BOB
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW270 BOB
AVERAGE1,100 BOB
HIGH2,300 BOB
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW150 BOB
AVERAGE620 BOB
HIGH1,300 BOB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW86 BOB
AVERAGE340 BOB
HIGH730 BOB
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW34 BOB
AVERAGE140 BOB
HIGH290 BOB
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW310 BOB
AVERAGE1,200 BOB
HIGH2,600 BOB
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Bolivia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW850 BOB
AVERAGE4,200 BOB
HIGH6,800 BOB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW130 BOB
AVERAGE510 BOB
HIGH1,000 BOB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW310 BOB
AVERAGE1,500 BOB
HIGH2,500 BOB
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW360 BOB
AVERAGE1,800 BOB
HIGH2,900 BOB
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW280 BOB
AVERAGE1,400 BOB
HIGH2,300 BOB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW150 BOB
AVERAGE770 BOB
HIGH1,200 BOB
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW51 BOB
AVERAGE260 BOB
HIGH410 BOB
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW440 BOB
AVERAGE2,200 BOB
HIGH3,500 BOB
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Bolivia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,900 BOB
AVERAGE6,600 BOB
HIGH9,900 BOB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW180 BOB
AVERAGE820 BOB
HIGH920 BOB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW480 BOB
AVERAGE1,600 BOB
HIGH2,500 BOB
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,100 BOB
AVERAGE3,700 BOB
HIGH5,500 BOB
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW480 BOB
AVERAGE1,600 BOB
HIGH2,500 BOB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW300 BOB
AVERAGE1,000 BOB
HIGH1,500 BOB
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW840 BOB
AVERAGE2,900 BOB
HIGH4,300 BOB
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW720 BOB
AVERAGE2,500 BOB
HIGH3,700 BOB
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Bolivia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW210 BOB
AVERAGE1,200 BOB
HIGH2,700 BOB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW34 BOB
AVERAGE210 BOB
HIGH450 BOB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW60 BOB
AVERAGE360 BOB
HIGH780 BOB
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW170 BOB
AVERAGE1,000 BOB
HIGH2,200 BOB
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW51 BOB
AVERAGE310 BOB
HIGH670 BOB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW43 BOB
AVERAGE260 BOB
HIGH560 BOB
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW160 BOB
AVERAGE980 BOB
HIGH2,100 BOB
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW130 BOB
AVERAGE770 BOB
HIGH1,700 BOB
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Bolivia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,600 BOB with expenditure ranging from 900 BOB and 6,100 BOB. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Bolivia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 490 BOB with 110 BOB and 820 BOB being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 250 BOB to 1,700 BOB on commuting with 1,000 BOB being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Bolivia is 1,900 BOB. The cost of groceries can range between 470 BOB to 3,200 BOB. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Bolivia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 240 BOB to 1,700 BOB with 990 BOB being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 150 BOB to 1,000 BOB with 600 BOB being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,100 BOB per month with 270 BOB being the minimum spent amount and 1,800 BOB being the maximum.

©copound