Cost Of Living in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Whether you're living in Bosnia and Herzegovina or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,800 BAM
average per month
460 BAM
Range
3,900 BAM

Couple
3,500 BAM
average per month
690 BAM
Range
5,500 BAM

Family
5,500 BAM
average per month
1,600 BAM
Range
8,300 BAM

Student
1,400 BAM
average per month
230 BAM
Range
3,000 BAM
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Bosnia and Herzegovina is 1,800 BAM. Expenses can range from 460 BAM at the minimum level to 3,900 BAM at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Bosnia and Herzegovina is 3,500 BAM. Expenditure can range from 690 BAM to 5,500 BAM per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Bosnia and Herzegovina is 5,500 BAM per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,600 BAM to 8,300 BAM.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Bosnia and Herzegovina is 1,400 BAM. Students spend from 230 BAM to 3,000 BAM per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.46 BAM

0.46 BAM
0.46 BAM

Fast food
combo meal

4.6 BAM

3.3 BAM
7.7 BAM

Restaurant
meal for one

15 BAM

12 BAM
19 BAM

Fine dining
meal for one

38 BAM

26 BAM
46 BAM

Soda
Soft Drink

0.38 BAM

0.38 BAM
0.38 BAM

Cappuccino
or latte

3.1 BAM

1.9 BAM
4.6 BAM

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2.3 BAM

1.9 BAM
2.6 BAM

Loaf of
bread

0.33 BAM

0.29 BAM
0.38 BAM

12
eggs

2.3 BAM

1.9 BAM
2.9 BAM

Fresh whole
chicken

5.4 BAM

4.2 BAM
6.6 BAM

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

6.1 BAM

5.1 BAM
7.7 BAM

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

3.3 BAM

2.9 BAM
3.8 BAM

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.5 BAM

1.3 BAM
1.9 BAM

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.7 BAM

1.4 BAM
1.8 BAM

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.6 BAM

1.4 BAM
1.8 BAM

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2.3 BAM

1.9 BAM
4.6 BAM

Average car
full tank

15 BAM

12 BAM
31 BAM

Average car
1-day rental

15 BAM

12 BAM
23 BAM

Average car
price

12,000 BAM

5,800 BAM
15,000 BAM

Bus ticket
one way

0.58 BAM

0.38 BAM
1.2 BAM

Car
Service

23 BAM

15 BAM
46 BAM

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

110 BAM

28 BAM
240 BAM

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

140 BAM

35 BAM
280 BAM

Electricity
and water bill
Family

220 BAM

48 BAM
250 BAM

Internet
and cable

23 BAM

12 BAM
31 BAM

Mobile phone
charges

15 BAM

9.2 BAM
46 BAM

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

7.7 BAM

5.8 BAM
12 BAM

One month gym
membership

23 BAM

18 BAM
46 BAM

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

19 BAM

14 BAM
29 BAM

Woman
dress

18 BAM

13 BAM
58 BAM

Woman
shoes

16 BAM

12 BAM
38 BAM

Men
shoes

13 BAM

10 BAM
26 BAM

Men
suit

14 BAM

12 BAM
77 BAM

Regular
t-shirt

7.7 BAM

5.8 BAM
23 BAM

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

290 BAM

190 BAM
770 BAM

1-bedroom
apartment

460 BAM

290 BAM
1,200 BAM

2-bedroom
apartment

580 BAM

380 BAM
1,500 BAM

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

58,000 BAM

38,000 BAM
120,000 BAM

1-bedroom
apartment

77,000 BAM

46,000 BAM
290,000 BAM

2-bedroom
apartment

230,000 BAM

77,000 BAM
460,000 BAM

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

290 BAM

230 BAM
380 BAM

Double
Bed

230 BAM

150 BAM
290 BAM

Single
Bed

180 BAM

140 BAM
230 BAM

Living
Room

330 BAM

260 BAM
1,200 BAM

Dining
Table

150 BAM

120 BAM
290 BAM

Sofa
or Couch

210 BAM

150 BAM
460 BAM

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

230 BAM

150 BAM
460 BAM

Fridge
or Freezer

210 BAM

140 BAM
290 BAM

Washing
Machine

260 BAM

180 BAM
460 BAM

Stove
or Cooker

210 BAM

160 BAM
290 BAM

Mobile
Phone

230 BAM

190 BAM
330 BAM

Laptop
or Computer

260 BAM

210 BAM
460 BAM

How do people spend their money in Bosnia and Herzegovina?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW170 BAM
AVERAGE660 BAM
HIGH1,400 BAM
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW28 BAM
AVERAGE110 BAM
HIGH240 BAM
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW37 BAM
AVERAGE150 BAM
HIGH310 BAM
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW74 BAM
AVERAGE300 BAM
HIGH630 BAM
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW42 BAM
AVERAGE170 BAM
HIGH350 BAM
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW23 BAM
AVERAGE92 BAM
HIGH200 BAM
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW9.2 BAM
AVERAGE37 BAM
HIGH78 BAM
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW83 BAM
AVERAGE330 BAM
HIGH710 BAM
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW230 BAM
AVERAGE1,100 BAM
HIGH1,800 BAM
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW35 BAM
AVERAGE140 BAM
HIGH280 BAM
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW83 BAM
AVERAGE420 BAM
HIGH660 BAM
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW97 BAM
AVERAGE480 BAM
HIGH770 BAM
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW76 BAM
AVERAGE380 BAM
HIGH610 BAM
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW42 BAM
AVERAGE210 BAM
HIGH330 BAM
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW14 BAM
AVERAGE69 BAM
HIGH110 BAM
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW120 BAM
AVERAGE590 BAM
HIGH940 BAM
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW520 BAM
AVERAGE1,800 BAM
HIGH2,700 BAM
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW48 BAM
AVERAGE220 BAM
HIGH250 BAM
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW130 BAM
AVERAGE440 BAM
HIGH660 BAM
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW290 BAM
AVERAGE1,000 BAM
HIGH1,500 BAM
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW130 BAM
AVERAGE440 BAM
HIGH660 BAM
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW81 BAM
AVERAGE280 BAM
HIGH420 BAM
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW230 BAM
AVERAGE770 BAM
HIGH1,200 BAM
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW190 BAM
AVERAGE660 BAM
HIGH1,000 BAM
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW55 BAM
AVERAGE330 BAM
HIGH720 BAM
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW9.2 BAM
AVERAGE55 BAM
HIGH120 BAM
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW16 BAM
AVERAGE97 BAM
HIGH210 BAM
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW46 BAM
AVERAGE280 BAM
HIGH600 BAM
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW14 BAM
AVERAGE83 BAM
HIGH180 BAM
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW12 BAM
AVERAGE69 BAM
HIGH150 BAM
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW44 BAM
AVERAGE260 BAM
HIGH570 BAM
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW35 BAM
AVERAGE210 BAM
HIGH450 BAM
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Bosnia and Herzegovina typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 980 BAM with expenditure ranging from 240 BAM and 1,700 BAM. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Bosnia and Herzegovina ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 130 BAM with 30 BAM and 220 BAM being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 66 BAM to 460 BAM on commuting with 280 BAM being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Bosnia and Herzegovina is 510 BAM. The cost of groceries can range between 130 BAM to 870 BAM. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Bosnia and Herzegovina allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 65 BAM to 450 BAM with 270 BAM being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 39 BAM to 270 BAM with 160 BAM being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 290 BAM per month with 73 BAM being the minimum spent amount and 480 BAM being the maximum.

©copound