Cost Of Living in Botswana

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Botswana

Whether you're living in Botswana or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
9,400 BWP
average per month
2,400 BWP
Range
20,000 BWP

Couple
18,000 BWP
average per month
3,500 BWP
Range
28,000 BWP

Family
28,000 BWP
average per month
8,300 BWP
Range
42,000 BWP

Student
7,100 BWP
average per month
1,200 BWP
Range
15,000 BWP
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Botswana is 9,400 BWP. Expenses can range from 2,400 BWP at the minimum level to 20,000 BWP at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Botswana is 18,000 BWP. Expenditure can range from 3,500 BWP to 28,000 BWP per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Botswana is 28,000 BWP per month. Families spend anywhere from 8,300 BWP to 42,000 BWP.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Botswana is 7,100 BWP. Students spend from 1,200 BWP to 15,000 BWP per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Botswana

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

2.4 BWP

2.4 BWP
2.4 BWP

Fast food
combo meal

24 BWP

17 BWP
39 BWP

Restaurant
meal for one

79 BWP

62 BWP
98 BWP

Fine dining
meal for one

200 BWP

130 BWP
240 BWP

Soda
Soft Drink

2.0 BWP

2.0 BWP
2.0 BWP

Cappuccino
or latte

16 BWP

9.8 BWP
24 BWP

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

12 BWP

9.8 BWP
13 BWP

Loaf of
bread

1.7 BWP

1.5 BWP
2.0 BWP

12
eggs

12 BWP

9.8 BWP
15 BWP

Fresh whole
chicken

27 BWP

21 BWP
34 BWP

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

31 BWP

26 BWP
39 BWP

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

17 BWP

15 BWP
20 BWP

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

7.9 BWP

6.6 BWP
9.8 BWP

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

8.4 BWP

7.4 BWP
9.1 BWP

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

8.1 BWP

7.1 BWP
9.1 BWP

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

12 BWP

9.8 BWP
24 BWP

Average car
full tank

79 BWP

59 BWP
160 BWP

Average car
1-day rental

79 BWP

59 BWP
120 BWP

Average car
price

59,000 BWP

29,000 BWP
79,000 BWP

Bus ticket
one way

3.0 BWP

2.0 BWP
5.9 BWP

Car
Service

120 BWP

79 BWP
240 BWP

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

570 BWP

140 BWP
1,200 BWP

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

710 BWP

180 BWP
1,400 BWP

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,100 BWP

250 BWP
1,300 BWP

Internet
and cable

120 BWP

59 BWP
160 BWP

Mobile phone
charges

79 BWP

47 BWP
240 BWP

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

39 BWP

29 BWP
59 BWP

One month gym
membership

120 BWP

94 BWP
240 BWP

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

98 BWP

69 BWP
150 BWP

Woman
dress

91 BWP

65 BWP
290 BWP

Woman
shoes

84 BWP

62 BWP
200 BWP

Men
shoes

65 BWP

54 BWP
130 BWP

Men
suit

74 BWP

59 BWP
390 BWP

Regular
t-shirt

39 BWP

29 BWP
120 BWP

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,500 BWP

980 BWP
3,900 BWP

1-bedroom
apartment

2,400 BWP

1,500 BWP
5,900 BWP

2-bedroom
apartment

2,900 BWP

2,000 BWP
7,900 BWP

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

290,000 BWP

200,000 BWP
590,000 BWP

1-bedroom
apartment

390,000 BWP

240,000 BWP
1,500,000 BWP

2-bedroom
apartment

1,200,000 BWP

390,000 BWP
2,400,000 BWP

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,500 BWP

1,200 BWP
2,000 BWP

Double
Bed

1,200 BWP

790 BWP
1,500 BWP

Single
Bed

910 BWP

690 BWP
1,200 BWP

Living
Room

1,700 BWP

1,300 BWP
5,900 BWP

Dining
Table

790 BWP

590 BWP
1,500 BWP

Sofa
or Couch

1,100 BWP

790 BWP
2,400 BWP

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,200 BWP

790 BWP
2,400 BWP

Fridge
or Freezer

1,100 BWP

690 BWP
1,500 BWP

Washing
Machine

1,300 BWP

910 BWP
2,400 BWP

Stove
or Cooker

1,100 BWP

840 BWP
1,500 BWP

Mobile
Phone

1,200 BWP

980 BWP
1,700 BWP

Laptop
or Computer

1,300 BWP

1,100 BWP
2,400 BWP

How do people spend their money in Botswana?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Botswana

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW850 BWP
AVERAGE3,400 BWP
HIGH7,200 BWP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW140 BWP
AVERAGE570 BWP
HIGH1,200 BWP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW190 BWP
AVERAGE750 BWP
HIGH1,600 BWP
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW380 BWP
AVERAGE1,500 BWP
HIGH3,200 BWP
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW210 BWP
AVERAGE850 BWP
HIGH1,800 BWP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW120 BWP
AVERAGE470 BWP
HIGH1,000 BWP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW47 BWP
AVERAGE190 BWP
HIGH400 BWP
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW420 BWP
AVERAGE1,700 BWP
HIGH3,600 BWP
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Botswana

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,200 BWP
AVERAGE5,800 BWP
HIGH9,300 BWP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW180 BWP
AVERAGE710 BWP
HIGH1,400 BWP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW420 BWP
AVERAGE2,100 BWP
HIGH3,400 BWP
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW500 BWP
AVERAGE2,500 BWP
HIGH4,000 BWP
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW390 BWP
AVERAGE1,900 BWP
HIGH3,100 BWP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW210 BWP
AVERAGE1,100 BWP
HIGH1,700 BWP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW71 BWP
AVERAGE350 BWP
HIGH570 BWP
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW600 BWP
AVERAGE3,000 BWP
HIGH4,800 BWP
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Botswana

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW2,600 BWP
AVERAGE9,100 BWP
HIGH14,000 BWP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW250 BWP
AVERAGE1,100 BWP
HIGH1,300 BWP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW660 BWP
AVERAGE2,300 BWP
HIGH3,400 BWP
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,500 BWP
AVERAGE5,100 BWP
HIGH7,600 BWP
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW660 BWP
AVERAGE2,300 BWP
HIGH3,400 BWP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW410 BWP
AVERAGE1,400 BWP
HIGH2,100 BWP
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,200 BWP
AVERAGE4,000 BWP
HIGH5,900 BWP
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW990 BWP
AVERAGE3,400 BWP
HIGH5,100 BWP
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Botswana

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW280 BWP
AVERAGE1,700 BWP
HIGH3,700 BWP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW47 BWP
AVERAGE280 BWP
HIGH610 BWP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW83 BWP
AVERAGE500 BWP
HIGH1,100 BWP
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW240 BWP
AVERAGE1,400 BWP
HIGH3,100 BWP
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW71 BWP
AVERAGE420 BWP
HIGH920 BWP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW59 BWP
AVERAGE350 BWP
HIGH770 BWP
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW220 BWP
AVERAGE1,300 BWP
HIGH2,900 BWP
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW180 BWP
AVERAGE1,100 BWP
HIGH2,300 BWP
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Botswana typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 5,000 BWP with expenditure ranging from 1,200 BWP and 8,500 BWP. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Botswana ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 670 BWP with 150 BWP and 1,100 BWP being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 340 BWP to 2,400 BWP on commuting with 1,400 BWP being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Botswana is 2,600 BWP. The cost of groceries can range between 650 BWP to 4,500 BWP. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Botswana allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 330 BWP to 2,300 BWP with 1,400 BWP being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 200 BWP to 1,400 BWP with 830 BWP being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,500 BWP per month with 370 BWP being the minimum spent amount and 2,500 BWP being the maximum.

©copound