Cost Of Living in Brazil

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Brazil

Whether you're living in Brazil or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
6,900 BRL
average per month
1,700 BRL
Range
15,000 BRL

Couple
13,000 BRL
average per month
2,600 BRL
Range
21,000 BRL

Family
21,000 BRL
average per month
6,000 BRL
Range
31,000 BRL

Student
5,200 BRL
average per month
860 BRL
Range
11,000 BRL
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Brazil is 6,900 BRL. Expenses can range from 1,700 BRL at the minimum level to 15,000 BRL at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Brazil is 13,000 BRL. Expenditure can range from 2,600 BRL to 21,000 BRL per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Brazil is 21,000 BRL per month. Families spend anywhere from 6,000 BRL to 31,000 BRL.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Brazil is 5,200 BRL. Students spend from 860 BRL to 11,000 BRL per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Brazil

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.7 BRL

1.7 BRL
1.7 BRL

Fast food
combo meal

17 BRL

12 BRL
29 BRL

Restaurant
meal for one

57 BRL

45 BRL
72 BRL

Fine dining
meal for one

140 BRL

95 BRL
170 BRL

Soda
Soft Drink

1.4 BRL

1.4 BRL
1.4 BRL

Cappuccino
or latte

11 BRL

7.2 BRL
17 BRL

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

8.6 BRL

7.2 BRL
9.6 BRL

Loaf of
bread

1.2 BRL

1.1 BRL
1.4 BRL

12
eggs

8.6 BRL

7.2 BRL
11 BRL

Fresh whole
chicken

20 BRL

16 BRL
25 BRL

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

23 BRL

19 BRL
29 BRL

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

12 BRL

11 BRL
14 BRL

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

5.7 BRL

4.8 BRL
7.2 BRL

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

6.1 BRL

5.4 BRL
6.6 BRL

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

5.9 BRL

5.2 BRL
6.6 BRL

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

8.6 BRL

7.2 BRL
17 BRL

Average car
full tank

57 BRL

43 BRL
110 BRL

Average car
1-day rental

57 BRL

43 BRL
86 BRL

Average car
price

43,000 BRL

21,000 BRL
57,000 BRL

Bus ticket
one way

2.2 BRL

1.4 BRL
4.3 BRL

Car
Service

86 BRL

57 BRL
170 BRL

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

410 BRL

100 BRL
880 BRL

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

520 BRL

130 BRL
1,000 BRL

Electricity
and water bill
Family

820 BRL

180 BRL
930 BRL

Internet
and cable

86 BRL

43 BRL
110 BRL

Mobile phone
charges

57 BRL

34 BRL
170 BRL

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

29 BRL

21 BRL
43 BRL

One month gym
membership

86 BRL

69 BRL
170 BRL

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

72 BRL

51 BRL
110 BRL

Woman
dress

66 BRL

48 BRL
210 BRL

Woman
shoes

61 BRL

45 BRL
140 BRL

Men
shoes

48 BRL

39 BRL
95 BRL

Men
suit

54 BRL

43 BRL
290 BRL

Regular
t-shirt

29 BRL

21 BRL
86 BRL

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,100 BRL

720 BRL
2,900 BRL

1-bedroom
apartment

1,700 BRL

1,100 BRL
4,300 BRL

2-bedroom
apartment

2,100 BRL

1,400 BRL
5,700 BRL

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

210,000 BRL

140,000 BRL
430,000 BRL

1-bedroom
apartment

290,000 BRL

170,000 BRL
1,100,000 BRL

2-bedroom
apartment

860,000 BRL

290,000 BRL
1,700,000 BRL

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,100 BRL

860 BRL
1,400 BRL

Double
Bed

860 BRL

570 BRL
1,100 BRL

Single
Bed

660 BRL

510 BRL
860 BRL

Living
Room

1,200 BRL

950 BRL
4,300 BRL

Dining
Table

570 BRL

430 BRL
1,100 BRL

Sofa
or Couch

780 BRL

570 BRL
1,700 BRL

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

860 BRL

570 BRL
1,700 BRL

Fridge
or Freezer

780 BRL

510 BRL
1,100 BRL

Washing
Machine

950 BRL

660 BRL
1,700 BRL

Stove
or Cooker

780 BRL

610 BRL
1,100 BRL

Mobile
Phone

860 BRL

720 BRL
1,200 BRL

Laptop
or Computer

950 BRL

780 BRL
1,700 BRL

How do people spend their money in Brazil?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Brazil

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW620 BRL
AVERAGE2,500 BRL
HIGH5,300 BRL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW100 BRL
AVERAGE410 BRL
HIGH880 BRL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW140 BRL
AVERAGE550 BRL
HIGH1,200 BRL
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW270 BRL
AVERAGE1,100 BRL
HIGH2,300 BRL
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW150 BRL
AVERAGE620 BRL
HIGH1,300 BRL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW86 BRL
AVERAGE340 BRL
HIGH730 BRL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW34 BRL
AVERAGE140 BRL
HIGH290 BRL
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW310 BRL
AVERAGE1,200 BRL
HIGH2,600 BRL
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Brazil

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW850 BRL
AVERAGE4,300 BRL
HIGH6,800 BRL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW130 BRL
AVERAGE520 BRL
HIGH1,000 BRL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW310 BRL
AVERAGE1,500 BRL
HIGH2,500 BRL
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW360 BRL
AVERAGE1,800 BRL
HIGH2,900 BRL
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW280 BRL
AVERAGE1,400 BRL
HIGH2,300 BRL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW150 BRL
AVERAGE770 BRL
HIGH1,200 BRL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW52 BRL
AVERAGE260 BRL
HIGH410 BRL
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW440 BRL
AVERAGE2,200 BRL
HIGH3,500 BRL
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Brazil

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,900 BRL
AVERAGE6,600 BRL
HIGH9,900 BRL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW180 BRL
AVERAGE820 BRL
HIGH930 BRL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW480 BRL
AVERAGE1,600 BRL
HIGH2,500 BRL
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,100 BRL
AVERAGE3,700 BRL
HIGH5,600 BRL
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW480 BRL
AVERAGE1,600 BRL
HIGH2,500 BRL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW300 BRL
AVERAGE1,000 BRL
HIGH1,500 BRL
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW840 BRL
AVERAGE2,900 BRL
HIGH4,300 BRL
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW720 BRL
AVERAGE2,500 BRL
HIGH3,700 BRL
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Brazil

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW210 BRL
AVERAGE1,200 BRL
HIGH2,700 BRL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW34 BRL
AVERAGE210 BRL
HIGH450 BRL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW60 BRL
AVERAGE360 BRL
HIGH780 BRL
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW170 BRL
AVERAGE1,000 BRL
HIGH2,200 BRL
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW52 BRL
AVERAGE310 BRL
HIGH670 BRL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW43 BRL
AVERAGE260 BRL
HIGH560 BRL
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW160 BRL
AVERAGE980 BRL
HIGH2,100 BRL
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW130 BRL
AVERAGE770 BRL
HIGH1,700 BRL
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Brazil typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,600 BRL with expenditure ranging from 900 BRL and 6,200 BRL. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Brazil ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 490 BRL with 110 BRL and 820 BRL being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 250 BRL to 1,700 BRL on commuting with 1,000 BRL being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Brazil is 1,900 BRL. The cost of groceries can range between 470 BRL to 3,300 BRL. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Brazil allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 240 BRL to 1,700 BRL with 1,000 BRL being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 150 BRL to 1,000 BRL with 600 BRL being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,100 BRL per month with 270 BRL being the minimum spent amount and 1,800 BRL being the maximum.

©copound