Cost Of Living in British Indian Ocean Territory

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in British Indian Ocean Territory

Whether you're living in British Indian Ocean Territory or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,100 USD
average per month
540 USD
Range
4,600 USD

Couple
4,000 USD
average per month
810 USD
Range
6,400 USD

Family
6,400 USD
average per month
1,900 USD
Range
9,700 USD

Student
1,600 USD
average per month
270 USD
Range
3,500 USD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in British Indian Ocean Territory is 2,100 USD. Expenses can range from 540 USD at the minimum level to 4,600 USD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in British Indian Ocean Territory is 4,000 USD. Expenditure can range from 810 USD to 6,400 USD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in British Indian Ocean Territory is 6,400 USD per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,900 USD to 9,700 USD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in British Indian Ocean Territory is 1,600 USD. Students spend from 270 USD to 3,500 USD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in British Indian Ocean Territory

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.54 USD

0.54 USD
0.54 USD

Fast food
combo meal

5.4 USD

3.8 USD
9.0 USD

Restaurant
meal for one

18 USD

14 USD
22 USD

Fine dining
meal for one

45 USD

30 USD
54 USD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.45 USD

0.45 USD
0.45 USD

Cappuccino
or latte

3.6 USD

2.2 USD
5.4 USD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2.7 USD

2.2 USD
3.0 USD

Loaf of
bread

0.38 USD

0.34 USD
0.45 USD

12
eggs

2.7 USD

2.2 USD
3.4 USD

Fresh whole
chicken

6.3 USD

4.9 USD
7.7 USD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

7.1 USD

6.0 USD
9.0 USD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

3.8 USD

3.4 USD
4.5 USD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.8 USD

1.5 USD
2.2 USD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.9 USD

1.7 USD
2.1 USD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.9 USD

1.6 USD
2.1 USD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2.7 USD

2.2 USD
5.4 USD

Average car
full tank

18 USD

13 USD
36 USD

Average car
1-day rental

18 USD

13 USD
27 USD

Average car
price

13,000 USD

6,700 USD
18,000 USD

Bus ticket
one way

0.67 USD

0.45 USD
1.3 USD

Car
Service

27 USD

18 USD
54 USD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

130 USD

32 USD
270 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

160 USD

40 USD
320 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

260 USD

56 USD
290 USD

Internet
and cable

27 USD

13 USD
36 USD

Mobile phone
charges

18 USD

11 USD
54 USD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

9.0 USD

6.7 USD
13 USD

One month gym
membership

27 USD

22 USD
54 USD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

22 USD

16 USD
34 USD

Woman
dress

21 USD

15 USD
67 USD

Woman
shoes

19 USD

14 USD
45 USD

Men
shoes

15 USD

12 USD
30 USD

Men
suit

17 USD

13 USD
90 USD

Regular
t-shirt

9.0 USD

6.7 USD
27 USD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

340 USD

220 USD
900 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

540 USD

340 USD
1,300 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

670 USD

450 USD
1,800 USD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

67,000 USD

45,000 USD
130,000 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

90,000 USD

54,000 USD
340,000 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

270,000 USD

90,000 USD
540,000 USD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

340 USD

270 USD
450 USD

Double
Bed

270 USD

180 USD
340 USD

Single
Bed

210 USD

160 USD
270 USD

Living
Room

380 USD

300 USD
1,300 USD

Dining
Table

180 USD

130 USD
340 USD

Sofa
or Couch

240 USD

180 USD
540 USD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

270 USD

180 USD
540 USD

Fridge
or Freezer

240 USD

160 USD
340 USD

Washing
Machine

300 USD

210 USD
540 USD

Stove
or Cooker

240 USD

190 USD
340 USD

Mobile
Phone

270 USD

220 USD
380 USD

Laptop
or Computer

300 USD

240 USD
540 USD

How do people spend their money in British Indian Ocean Territory?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in British Indian Ocean Territory

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW190 USD
AVERAGE770 USD
HIGH1,600 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW32 USD
AVERAGE130 USD
HIGH270 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW43 USD
AVERAGE170 USD
HIGH370 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW86 USD
AVERAGE340 USD
HIGH730 USD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW48 USD
AVERAGE190 USD
HIGH410 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW27 USD
AVERAGE110 USD
HIGH230 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW11 USD
AVERAGE43 USD
HIGH91 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW97 USD
AVERAGE390 USD
HIGH820 USD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in British Indian Ocean Territory

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW270 USD
AVERAGE1,300 USD
HIGH2,100 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW40 USD
AVERAGE160 USD
HIGH320 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW97 USD
AVERAGE480 USD
HIGH770 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW110 USD
AVERAGE560 USD
HIGH900 USD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW89 USD
AVERAGE440 USD
HIGH710 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW48 USD
AVERAGE240 USD
HIGH390 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW16 USD
AVERAGE81 USD
HIGH130 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW140 USD
AVERAGE690 USD
HIGH1,100 USD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in British Indian Ocean Territory

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW600 USD
AVERAGE2,100 USD
HIGH3,100 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW56 USD
AVERAGE260 USD
HIGH290 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW150 USD
AVERAGE520 USD
HIGH770 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW340 USD
AVERAGE1,200 USD
HIGH1,700 USD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW150 USD
AVERAGE520 USD
HIGH770 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW94 USD
AVERAGE320 USD
HIGH480 USD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW260 USD
AVERAGE900 USD
HIGH1,400 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW230 USD
AVERAGE770 USD
HIGH1,200 USD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in British Indian Ocean Territory

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW64 USD
AVERAGE390 USD
HIGH840 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW11 USD
AVERAGE64 USD
HIGH140 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW19 USD
AVERAGE110 USD
HIGH240 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW54 USD
AVERAGE320 USD
HIGH700 USD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW16 USD
AVERAGE97 USD
HIGH210 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW13 USD
AVERAGE81 USD
HIGH170 USD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW51 USD
AVERAGE310 USD
HIGH660 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW40 USD
AVERAGE240 USD
HIGH520 USD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in British Indian Ocean Territory typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,100 USD with expenditure ranging from 280 USD and 1,900 USD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in British Indian Ocean Territory ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 150 USD with 35 USD and 260 USD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 77 USD to 540 USD on commuting with 320 USD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in British Indian Ocean Territory is 600 USD. The cost of groceries can range between 150 USD to 1,000 USD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in British Indian Ocean Territory allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 76 USD to 530 USD with 310 USD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 46 USD to 320 USD with 190 USD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 330 USD per month with 85 USD being the minimum spent amount and 560 USD being the maximum.

©copound