Cost Of Living in Brunei

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Brunei

Whether you're living in Brunei or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,600 BND
average per month
650 BND
Range
5,500 BND

Couple
4,800 BND
average per month
970 BND
Range
7,700 BND

Family
7,700 BND
average per month
2,300 BND
Range
12,000 BND

Student
1,900 BND
average per month
320 BND
Range
4,200 BND
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Brunei is 2,600 BND. Expenses can range from 650 BND at the minimum level to 5,500 BND at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Brunei is 4,800 BND. Expenditure can range from 970 BND to 7,700 BND per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Brunei is 7,700 BND per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,300 BND to 12,000 BND.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Brunei is 1,900 BND. Students spend from 320 BND to 4,200 BND per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Brunei

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.65 BND

0.65 BND
0.65 BND

Fast food
combo meal

6.5 BND

4.6 BND
11 BND

Restaurant
meal for one

22 BND

17 BND
27 BND

Fine dining
meal for one

54 BND

36 BND
65 BND

Soda
Soft Drink

0.54 BND

0.54 BND
0.54 BND

Cappuccino
or latte

4.3 BND

2.7 BND
6.5 BND

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.2 BND

2.7 BND
3.6 BND

Loaf of
bread

0.46 BND

0.40 BND
0.54 BND

12
eggs

3.2 BND

2.7 BND
4.0 BND

Fresh whole
chicken

7.5 BND

5.9 BND
9.2 BND

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

8.5 BND

7.2 BND
11 BND

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

4.6 BND

4.0 BND
5.4 BND

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.2 BND

1.8 BND
2.7 BND

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.3 BND

2.0 BND
2.5 BND

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.2 BND

2.0 BND
2.5 BND

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.2 BND

2.7 BND
6.5 BND

Average car
full tank

22 BND

16 BND
43 BND

Average car
1-day rental

22 BND

16 BND
32 BND

Average car
price

16,000 BND

8,100 BND
22,000 BND

Bus ticket
one way

0.81 BND

0.54 BND
1.6 BND

Car
Service

32 BND

22 BND
65 BND

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

150 BND

39 BND
330 BND

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

190 BND

48 BND
390 BND

Electricity
and water bill
Family

310 BND

68 BND
350 BND

Internet
and cable

32 BND

16 BND
43 BND

Mobile phone
charges

22 BND

13 BND
65 BND

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

11 BND

8.1 BND
16 BND

One month gym
membership

32 BND

26 BND
65 BND

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

27 BND

19 BND
40 BND

Woman
dress

25 BND

18 BND
81 BND

Woman
shoes

23 BND

17 BND
54 BND

Men
shoes

18 BND

15 BND
36 BND

Men
suit

20 BND

16 BND
110 BND

Regular
t-shirt

11 BND

8.1 BND
32 BND

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

400 BND

270 BND
1,100 BND

1-bedroom
apartment

650 BND

400 BND
1,600 BND

2-bedroom
apartment

810 BND

540 BND
2,200 BND

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

81,000 BND

54,000 BND
160,000 BND

1-bedroom
apartment

110,000 BND

65,000 BND
400,000 BND

2-bedroom
apartment

320,000 BND

110,000 BND
650,000 BND

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

400 BND

320 BND
540 BND

Double
Bed

320 BND

220 BND
400 BND

Single
Bed

250 BND

190 BND
320 BND

Living
Room

460 BND

360 BND
1,600 BND

Dining
Table

220 BND

160 BND
400 BND

Sofa
or Couch

290 BND

220 BND
650 BND

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

320 BND

220 BND
650 BND

Fridge
or Freezer

290 BND

190 BND
400 BND

Washing
Machine

360 BND

250 BND
650 BND

Stove
or Cooker

290 BND

230 BND
400 BND

Mobile
Phone

320 BND

270 BND
460 BND

Laptop
or Computer

360 BND

290 BND
650 BND

How do people spend their money in Brunei?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Brunei

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW230 BND
AVERAGE930 BND
HIGH2,000 BND
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW39 BND
AVERAGE150 BND
HIGH330 BND
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW52 BND
AVERAGE210 BND
HIGH440 BND
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW100 BND
AVERAGE410 BND
HIGH880 BND
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW58 BND
AVERAGE230 BND
HIGH490 BND
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW32 BND
AVERAGE130 BND
HIGH270 BND
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW13 BND
AVERAGE52 BND
HIGH110 BND
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW120 BND
AVERAGE460 BND
HIGH990 BND
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Brunei

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW320 BND
AVERAGE1,600 BND
HIGH2,600 BND
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW48 BND
AVERAGE190 BND
HIGH390 BND
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW120 BND
AVERAGE580 BND
HIGH930 BND
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW140 BND
AVERAGE680 BND
HIGH1,100 BND
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW110 BND
AVERAGE530 BND
HIGH850 BND
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW58 BND
AVERAGE290 BND
HIGH460 BND
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW19 BND
AVERAGE97 BND
HIGH150 BND
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW160 BND
AVERAGE820 BND
HIGH1,300 BND
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Brunei

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW720 BND
AVERAGE2,500 BND
HIGH3,700 BND
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW68 BND
AVERAGE310 BND
HIGH350 BND
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW180 BND
AVERAGE620 BND
HIGH930 BND
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW410 BND
AVERAGE1,400 BND
HIGH2,100 BND
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW180 BND
AVERAGE620 BND
HIGH930 BND
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW110 BND
AVERAGE390 BND
HIGH580 BND
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW320 BND
AVERAGE1,100 BND
HIGH1,600 BND
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW270 BND
AVERAGE930 BND
HIGH1,400 BND
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Brunei

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW77 BND
AVERAGE460 BND
HIGH1,000 BND
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW13 BND
AVERAGE77 BND
HIGH170 BND
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW23 BND
AVERAGE140 BND
HIGH290 BND
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW65 BND
AVERAGE390 BND
HIGH840 BND
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW19 BND
AVERAGE120 BND
HIGH250 BND
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW16 BND
AVERAGE97 BND
HIGH210 BND
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW61 BND
AVERAGE370 BND
HIGH800 BND
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW48 BND
AVERAGE290 BND
HIGH630 BND
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Brunei typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,400 BND with expenditure ranging from 340 BND and 2,300 BND. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Brunei ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 180 BND with 42 BND and 310 BND being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 93 BND to 650 BND on commuting with 390 BND being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Brunei is 720 BND. The cost of groceries can range between 180 BND to 1,200 BND. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Brunei allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 91 BND to 630 BND with 380 BND being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 55 BND to 380 BND with 230 BND being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 400 BND per month with 100 BND being the minimum spent amount and 670 BND being the maximum.

©copound