Cost Of Living in Bulgaria

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Bulgaria

Whether you're living in Bulgaria or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,700 BGN
average per month
660 BGN
Range
5,600 BGN

Couple
5,000 BGN
average per month
990 BGN
Range
8,000 BGN

Family
8,000 BGN
average per month
2,300 BGN
Range
12,000 BGN

Student
2,000 BGN
average per month
330 BGN
Range
4,300 BGN
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Bulgaria is 2,700 BGN. Expenses can range from 660 BGN at the minimum level to 5,600 BGN at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Bulgaria is 5,000 BGN. Expenditure can range from 990 BGN to 8,000 BGN per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Bulgaria is 8,000 BGN per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,300 BGN to 12,000 BGN.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Bulgaria is 2,000 BGN. Students spend from 330 BGN to 4,300 BGN per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Bulgaria

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.66 BGN

0.66 BGN
0.66 BGN

Fast food
combo meal

6.6 BGN

4.7 BGN
11 BGN

Restaurant
meal for one

22 BGN

17 BGN
28 BGN

Fine dining
meal for one

55 BGN

37 BGN
66 BGN

Soda
Soft Drink

0.55 BGN

0.55 BGN
0.55 BGN

Cappuccino
or latte

4.4 BGN

2.8 BGN
6.6 BGN

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.3 BGN

2.8 BGN
3.7 BGN

Loaf of
bread

0.47 BGN

0.41 BGN
0.55 BGN

12
eggs

3.3 BGN

2.8 BGN
4.1 BGN

Fresh whole
chicken

7.7 BGN

6.0 BGN
9.5 BGN

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

8.7 BGN

7.4 BGN
11 BGN

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

4.7 BGN

4.1 BGN
5.5 BGN

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.2 BGN

1.8 BGN
2.8 BGN

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.4 BGN

2.1 BGN
2.6 BGN

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.3 BGN

2.0 BGN
2.6 BGN

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.3 BGN

2.8 BGN
6.6 BGN

Average car
full tank

22 BGN

17 BGN
44 BGN

Average car
1-day rental

22 BGN

17 BGN
33 BGN

Average car
price

17,000 BGN

8,300 BGN
22,000 BGN

Bus ticket
one way

0.83 BGN

0.55 BGN
1.7 BGN

Car
Service

33 BGN

22 BGN
66 BGN

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

160 BGN

40 BGN
340 BGN

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

200 BGN

50 BGN
400 BGN

Electricity
and water bill
Family

320 BGN

70 BGN
360 BGN

Internet
and cable

33 BGN

17 BGN
44 BGN

Mobile phone
charges

22 BGN

13 BGN
66 BGN

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

11 BGN

8.3 BGN
17 BGN

One month gym
membership

33 BGN

27 BGN
66 BGN

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

28 BGN

20 BGN
41 BGN

Woman
dress

26 BGN

18 BGN
83 BGN

Woman
shoes

24 BGN

17 BGN
55 BGN

Men
shoes

18 BGN

15 BGN
37 BGN

Men
suit

21 BGN

17 BGN
110 BGN

Regular
t-shirt

11 BGN

8.3 BGN
33 BGN

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

410 BGN

280 BGN
1,100 BGN

1-bedroom
apartment

660 BGN

410 BGN
1,700 BGN

2-bedroom
apartment

830 BGN

550 BGN
2,200 BGN

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

83,000 BGN

55,000 BGN
170,000 BGN

1-bedroom
apartment

110,000 BGN

66,000 BGN
410,000 BGN

2-bedroom
apartment

330,000 BGN

110,000 BGN
660,000 BGN

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

410 BGN

330 BGN
550 BGN

Double
Bed

330 BGN

220 BGN
410 BGN

Single
Bed

260 BGN

200 BGN
330 BGN

Living
Room

470 BGN

370 BGN
1,700 BGN

Dining
Table

220 BGN

170 BGN
410 BGN

Sofa
or Couch

300 BGN

220 BGN
660 BGN

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

330 BGN

220 BGN
660 BGN

Fridge
or Freezer

300 BGN

200 BGN
410 BGN

Washing
Machine

370 BGN

260 BGN
660 BGN

Stove
or Cooker

300 BGN

240 BGN
410 BGN

Mobile
Phone

330 BGN

280 BGN
470 BGN

Laptop
or Computer

370 BGN

300 BGN
660 BGN

How do people spend their money in Bulgaria?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Bulgaria

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW240 BGN
AVERAGE950 BGN
HIGH2,000 BGN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW40 BGN
AVERAGE160 BGN
HIGH340 BGN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW53 BGN
AVERAGE210 BGN
HIGH450 BGN
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW110 BGN
AVERAGE420 BGN
HIGH900 BGN
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW60 BGN
AVERAGE240 BGN
HIGH510 BGN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW33 BGN
AVERAGE130 BGN
HIGH280 BGN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW13 BGN
AVERAGE53 BGN
HIGH110 BGN
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW120 BGN
AVERAGE480 BGN
HIGH1,000 BGN
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Bulgaria

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW330 BGN
AVERAGE1,600 BGN
HIGH2,600 BGN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW50 BGN
AVERAGE200 BGN
HIGH400 BGN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW120 BGN
AVERAGE600 BGN
HIGH950 BGN
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW140 BGN
AVERAGE700 BGN
HIGH1,100 BGN
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW110 BGN
AVERAGE550 BGN
HIGH880 BGN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW60 BGN
AVERAGE300 BGN
HIGH480 BGN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW20 BGN
AVERAGE99 BGN
HIGH160 BGN
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW170 BGN
AVERAGE850 BGN
HIGH1,400 BGN
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Bulgaria

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW740 BGN
AVERAGE2,500 BGN
HIGH3,800 BGN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW70 BGN
AVERAGE320 BGN
HIGH360 BGN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW190 BGN
AVERAGE640 BGN
HIGH950 BGN
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW420 BGN
AVERAGE1,400 BGN
HIGH2,100 BGN
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW190 BGN
AVERAGE640 BGN
HIGH950 BGN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW120 BGN
AVERAGE400 BGN
HIGH600 BGN
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW320 BGN
AVERAGE1,100 BGN
HIGH1,700 BGN
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW280 BGN
AVERAGE950 BGN
HIGH1,400 BGN
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Bulgaria

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW80 BGN
AVERAGE480 BGN
HIGH1,000 BGN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW13 BGN
AVERAGE80 BGN
HIGH170 BGN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW23 BGN
AVERAGE140 BGN
HIGH300 BGN
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW66 BGN
AVERAGE400 BGN
HIGH860 BGN
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW20 BGN
AVERAGE120 BGN
HIGH260 BGN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW17 BGN
AVERAGE99 BGN
HIGH220 BGN
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW63 BGN
AVERAGE380 BGN
HIGH820 BGN
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW50 BGN
AVERAGE300 BGN
HIGH650 BGN
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Bulgaria typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,400 BGN with expenditure ranging from 350 BGN and 2,400 BGN. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Bulgaria ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 190 BGN with 43 BGN and 320 BGN being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 95 BGN to 670 BGN on commuting with 400 BGN being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Bulgaria is 740 BGN. The cost of groceries can range between 180 BGN to 1,300 BGN. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Bulgaria allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 94 BGN to 650 BGN with 390 BGN being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 56 BGN to 390 BGN with 230 BGN being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 410 BGN per month with 110 BGN being the minimum spent amount and 690 BGN being the maximum.

©copound