Cost Of Living in Burundi

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Burundi

Whether you're living in Burundi or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
950,000 BIF
average per month
240,000 BIF
Range
2,000,000 BIF

Couple
1,800,000 BIF
average per month
360,000 BIF
Range
2,800,000 BIF

Family
2,800,000 BIF
average per month
830,000 BIF
Range
4,300,000 BIF

Student
710,000 BIF
average per month
120,000 BIF
Range
1,500,000 BIF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Burundi is 950,000 BIF. Expenses can range from 240,000 BIF at the minimum level to 2,000,000 BIF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Burundi is 1,800,000 BIF. Expenditure can range from 360,000 BIF to 2,800,000 BIF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Burundi is 2,800,000 BIF per month. Families spend anywhere from 830,000 BIF to 4,300,000 BIF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Burundi is 710,000 BIF. Students spend from 120,000 BIF to 1,500,000 BIF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Burundi

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

240 BIF

240 BIF
240 BIF

Fast food
combo meal

2,400 BIF

1,700 BIF
4,000 BIF

Restaurant
meal for one

7,900 BIF

6,200 BIF
9,900 BIF

Fine dining
meal for one

20,000 BIF

13,000 BIF
24,000 BIF

Soda
Soft Drink

200 BIF

200 BIF
200 BIF

Cappuccino
or latte

1,600 BIF

990 BIF
2,400 BIF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1,200 BIF

990 BIF
1,300 BIF

Loaf of
bread

170 BIF

150 BIF
200 BIF

12
eggs

1,200 BIF

990 BIF
1,500 BIF

Fresh whole
chicken

2,800 BIF

2,200 BIF
3,400 BIF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

3,100 BIF

2,600 BIF
4,000 BIF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

1,700 BIF

1,500 BIF
2,000 BIF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

790 BIF

660 BIF
990 BIF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

850 BIF

740 BIF
910 BIF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

820 BIF

720 BIF
910 BIF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1,200 BIF

990 BIF
2,400 BIF

Average car
full tank

7,900 BIF

5,900 BIF
16,000 BIF

Average car
1-day rental

7,900 BIF

5,900 BIF
12,000 BIF

Average car
price

5,900,000 BIF

3,000,000 BIF
7,900,000 BIF

Bus ticket
one way

300 BIF

200 BIF
590 BIF

Car
Service

12,000 BIF

7,900 BIF
24,000 BIF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

57,000 BIF

14,000 BIF
120,000 BIF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

71,000 BIF

18,000 BIF
140,000 BIF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

110,000 BIF

25,000 BIF
130,000 BIF

Internet
and cable

12,000 BIF

5,900 BIF
16,000 BIF

Mobile phone
charges

7,900 BIF

4,700 BIF
24,000 BIF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

4,000 BIF

3,000 BIF
5,900 BIF

One month gym
membership

12,000 BIF

9,500 BIF
24,000 BIF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

9,900 BIF

7,000 BIF
15,000 BIF

Woman
dress

9,100 BIF

6,600 BIF
30,000 BIF

Woman
shoes

8,500 BIF

6,200 BIF
20,000 BIF

Men
shoes

6,600 BIF

5,400 BIF
13,000 BIF

Men
suit

7,400 BIF

5,900 BIF
40,000 BIF

Regular
t-shirt

4,000 BIF

3,000 BIF
12,000 BIF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

150,000 BIF

99,000 BIF
400,000 BIF

1-bedroom
apartment

240,000 BIF

150,000 BIF
590,000 BIF

2-bedroom
apartment

300,000 BIF

200,000 BIF
790,000 BIF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

30,000,000 BIF

20,000,000 BIF
59,000,000 BIF

1-bedroom
apartment

40,000,000 BIF

24,000,000 BIF
150,000,000 BIF

2-bedroom
apartment

120,000,000 BIF

40,000,000 BIF
240,000,000 BIF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

150,000 BIF

120,000 BIF
200,000 BIF

Double
Bed

120,000 BIF

79,000 BIF
150,000 BIF

Single
Bed

91,000 BIF

70,000 BIF
120,000 BIF

Living
Room

170,000 BIF

130,000 BIF
590,000 BIF

Dining
Table

79,000 BIF

59,000 BIF
150,000 BIF

Sofa
or Couch

110,000 BIF

79,000 BIF
240,000 BIF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

120,000 BIF

79,000 BIF
240,000 BIF

Fridge
or Freezer

110,000 BIF

70,000 BIF
150,000 BIF

Washing
Machine

130,000 BIF

91,000 BIF
240,000 BIF

Stove
or Cooker

110,000 BIF

85,000 BIF
150,000 BIF

Mobile
Phone

120,000 BIF

99,000 BIF
170,000 BIF

Laptop
or Computer

130,000 BIF

110,000 BIF
240,000 BIF

How do people spend their money in Burundi?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Burundi

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW85,000 BIF
AVERAGE340,000 BIF
HIGH730,000 BIF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW14,000 BIF
AVERAGE57,000 BIF
HIGH120,000 BIF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW19,000 BIF
AVERAGE76,000 BIF
HIGH160,000 BIF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW38,000 BIF
AVERAGE150,000 BIF
HIGH320,000 BIF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW21,000 BIF
AVERAGE85,000 BIF
HIGH180,000 BIF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW12,000 BIF
AVERAGE47,000 BIF
HIGH100,000 BIF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW4,700 BIF
AVERAGE19,000 BIF
HIGH40,000 BIF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW43,000 BIF
AVERAGE170,000 BIF
HIGH360,000 BIF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Burundi

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW120,000 BIF
AVERAGE590,000 BIF
HIGH940,000 BIF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW18,000 BIF
AVERAGE71,000 BIF
HIGH140,000 BIF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW43,000 BIF
AVERAGE210,000 BIF
HIGH340,000 BIF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW50,000 BIF
AVERAGE250,000 BIF
HIGH400,000 BIF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW39,000 BIF
AVERAGE200,000 BIF
HIGH310,000 BIF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW21,000 BIF
AVERAGE110,000 BIF
HIGH170,000 BIF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW7,100 BIF
AVERAGE36,000 BIF
HIGH57,000 BIF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW61,000 BIF
AVERAGE300,000 BIF
HIGH480,000 BIF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Burundi

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW270,000 BIF
AVERAGE910,000 BIF
HIGH1,400,000 BIF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW25,000 BIF
AVERAGE110,000 BIF
HIGH130,000 BIF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW66,000 BIF
AVERAGE230,000 BIF
HIGH340,000 BIF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW150,000 BIF
AVERAGE510,000 BIF
HIGH770,000 BIF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW66,000 BIF
AVERAGE230,000 BIF
HIGH340,000 BIF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW42,000 BIF
AVERAGE140,000 BIF
HIGH210,000 BIF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW120,000 BIF
AVERAGE400,000 BIF
HIGH600,000 BIF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW100,000 BIF
AVERAGE340,000 BIF
HIGH510,000 BIF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Burundi

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW28,000 BIF
AVERAGE170,000 BIF
HIGH370,000 BIF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW4,700 BIF
AVERAGE28,000 BIF
HIGH62,000 BIF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW8,300 BIF
AVERAGE50,000 BIF
HIGH110,000 BIF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW24,000 BIF
AVERAGE140,000 BIF
HIGH310,000 BIF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW7,100 BIF
AVERAGE43,000 BIF
HIGH93,000 BIF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW5,900 BIF
AVERAGE36,000 BIF
HIGH77,000 BIF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW23,000 BIF
AVERAGE140,000 BIF
HIGH290,000 BIF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW18,000 BIF
AVERAGE110,000 BIF
HIGH230,000 BIF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Burundi typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 500,000 BIF with expenditure ranging from 120,000 BIF and 850,000 BIF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Burundi ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 68,000 BIF with 15,000 BIF and 110,000 BIF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 34,000 BIF to 240,000 BIF on commuting with 140,000 BIF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Burundi is 260,000 BIF. The cost of groceries can range between 65,000 BIF to 450,000 BIF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Burundi allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 34,000 BIF to 230,000 BIF with 140,000 BIF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 20,000 BIF to 140,000 BIF with 83,000 BIF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 150,000 BIF per month with 38,000 BIF being the minimum spent amount and 250,000 BIF being the maximum.

©copound