Cost Of Living in Cambodia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Cambodia

Whether you're living in Cambodia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,700,000 KHR
average per month
670,000 KHR
Range
5,700,000 KHR

Couple
5,000,000 KHR
average per month
1,000,000 KHR
Range
8,000,000 KHR

Family
8,000,000 KHR
average per month
2,300,000 KHR
Range
12,000,000 KHR

Student
2,000,000 KHR
average per month
330,000 KHR
Range
4,300,000 KHR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Cambodia is 2,700,000 KHR. Expenses can range from 670,000 KHR at the minimum level to 5,700,000 KHR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Cambodia is 5,000,000 KHR. Expenditure can range from 1,000,000 KHR to 8,000,000 KHR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Cambodia is 8,000,000 KHR per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,300,000 KHR to 12,000,000 KHR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Cambodia is 2,000,000 KHR. Students spend from 330,000 KHR to 4,300,000 KHR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Cambodia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

670 KHR

670 KHR
670 KHR

Fast food
combo meal

6,700 KHR

4,800 KHR
11,000 KHR

Restaurant
meal for one

22,000 KHR

18,000 KHR
28,000 KHR

Fine dining
meal for one

55,000 KHR

37,000 KHR
67,000 KHR

Soda
Soft Drink

550 KHR

550 KHR
550 KHR

Cappuccino
or latte

4,400 KHR

2,800 KHR
6,700 KHR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3,300 KHR

2,800 KHR
3,700 KHR

Loaf of
bread

480 KHR

420 KHR
550 KHR

12
eggs

3,300 KHR

2,800 KHR
4,200 KHR

Fresh whole
chicken

7,700 KHR

6,000 KHR
9,500 KHR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

8,800 KHR

7,400 KHR
11,000 KHR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

4,800 KHR

4,200 KHR
5,500 KHR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2,200 KHR

1,800 KHR
2,800 KHR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2,400 KHR

2,100 KHR
2,600 KHR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2,300 KHR

2,000 KHR
2,600 KHR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3,300 KHR

2,800 KHR
6,700 KHR

Average car
full tank

22,000 KHR

17,000 KHR
44,000 KHR

Average car
1-day rental

22,000 KHR

17,000 KHR
33,000 KHR

Average car
price

17,000,000 KHR

8,300,000 KHR
22,000,000 KHR

Bus ticket
one way

830 KHR

550 KHR
1,700 KHR

Car
Service

33,000 KHR

22,000 KHR
67,000 KHR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

160,000 KHR

40,000 KHR
340,000 KHR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

200,000 KHR

50,000 KHR
400,000 KHR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

320,000 KHR

70,000 KHR
360,000 KHR

Internet
and cable

33,000 KHR

17,000 KHR
44,000 KHR

Mobile phone
charges

22,000 KHR

13,000 KHR
67,000 KHR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

11,000 KHR

8,300 KHR
17,000 KHR

One month gym
membership

33,000 KHR

27,000 KHR
67,000 KHR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

28,000 KHR

20,000 KHR
42,000 KHR

Woman
dress

26,000 KHR

18,000 KHR
83,000 KHR

Woman
shoes

24,000 KHR

18,000 KHR
55,000 KHR

Men
shoes

18,000 KHR

15,000 KHR
37,000 KHR

Men
suit

21,000 KHR

17,000 KHR
110,000 KHR

Regular
t-shirt

11,000 KHR

8,300 KHR
33,000 KHR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

420,000 KHR

280,000 KHR
1,100,000 KHR

1-bedroom
apartment

670,000 KHR

420,000 KHR
1,700,000 KHR

2-bedroom
apartment

830,000 KHR

550,000 KHR
2,200,000 KHR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

83,000,000 KHR

55,000,000 KHR
170,000,000 KHR

1-bedroom
apartment

110,000,000 KHR

67,000,000 KHR
420,000,000 KHR

2-bedroom
apartment

330,000,000 KHR

110,000,000 KHR
670,000,000 KHR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

420,000 KHR

330,000 KHR
550,000 KHR

Double
Bed

330,000 KHR

220,000 KHR
420,000 KHR

Single
Bed

260,000 KHR

200,000 KHR
330,000 KHR

Living
Room

480,000 KHR

370,000 KHR
1,700,000 KHR

Dining
Table

220,000 KHR

170,000 KHR
420,000 KHR

Sofa
or Couch

300,000 KHR

220,000 KHR
670,000 KHR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

330,000 KHR

220,000 KHR
670,000 KHR

Fridge
or Freezer

300,000 KHR

200,000 KHR
420,000 KHR

Washing
Machine

370,000 KHR

260,000 KHR
670,000 KHR

Stove
or Cooker

300,000 KHR

240,000 KHR
420,000 KHR

Mobile
Phone

330,000 KHR

280,000 KHR
480,000 KHR

Laptop
or Computer

370,000 KHR

300,000 KHR
670,000 KHR

How do people spend their money in Cambodia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Cambodia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW240,000 KHR
AVERAGE960,000 KHR
HIGH2,000,000 KHR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW40,000 KHR
AVERAGE160,000 KHR
HIGH340,000 KHR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW53,000 KHR
AVERAGE210,000 KHR
HIGH450,000 KHR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW110,000 KHR
AVERAGE430,000 KHR
HIGH900,000 KHR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW60,000 KHR
AVERAGE240,000 KHR
HIGH510,000 KHR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW33,000 KHR
AVERAGE130,000 KHR
HIGH280,000 KHR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW13,000 KHR
AVERAGE53,000 KHR
HIGH110,000 KHR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW120,000 KHR
AVERAGE480,000 KHR
HIGH1,000,000 KHR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Cambodia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW330,000 KHR
AVERAGE1,600,000 KHR
HIGH2,600,000 KHR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW50,000 KHR
AVERAGE200,000 KHR
HIGH400,000 KHR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW120,000 KHR
AVERAGE600,000 KHR
HIGH960,000 KHR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW140,000 KHR
AVERAGE700,000 KHR
HIGH1,100,000 KHR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW110,000 KHR
AVERAGE550,000 KHR
HIGH880,000 KHR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW60,000 KHR
AVERAGE300,000 KHR
HIGH480,000 KHR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW20,000 KHR
AVERAGE100,000 KHR
HIGH160,000 KHR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW170,000 KHR
AVERAGE850,000 KHR
HIGH1,400,000 KHR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Cambodia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW740,000 KHR
AVERAGE2,600,000 KHR
HIGH3,800,000 KHR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW70,000 KHR
AVERAGE320,000 KHR
HIGH360,000 KHR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW190,000 KHR
AVERAGE640,000 KHR
HIGH960,000 KHR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW420,000 KHR
AVERAGE1,400,000 KHR
HIGH2,200,000 KHR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW190,000 KHR
AVERAGE640,000 KHR
HIGH960,000 KHR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW120,000 KHR
AVERAGE400,000 KHR
HIGH600,000 KHR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW330,000 KHR
AVERAGE1,100,000 KHR
HIGH1,700,000 KHR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW280,000 KHR
AVERAGE960,000 KHR
HIGH1,400,000 KHR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Cambodia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW80,000 KHR
AVERAGE480,000 KHR
HIGH1,000,000 KHR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW13,000 KHR
AVERAGE80,000 KHR
HIGH170,000 KHR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW23,000 KHR
AVERAGE140,000 KHR
HIGH300,000 KHR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW67,000 KHR
AVERAGE400,000 KHR
HIGH860,000 KHR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW20,000 KHR
AVERAGE120,000 KHR
HIGH260,000 KHR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW17,000 KHR
AVERAGE100,000 KHR
HIGH220,000 KHR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW63,000 KHR
AVERAGE380,000 KHR
HIGH820,000 KHR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW50,000 KHR
AVERAGE300,000 KHR
HIGH650,000 KHR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Cambodia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,400,000 KHR with expenditure ranging from 350,000 KHR and 2,400,000 KHR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Cambodia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 190,000 KHR with 43,000 KHR and 320,000 KHR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 96,000 KHR to 670,000 KHR on commuting with 400,000 KHR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Cambodia is 740,000 KHR. The cost of groceries can range between 180,000 KHR to 1,300,000 KHR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Cambodia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 94,000 KHR to 650,000 KHR with 390,000 KHR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 57,000 KHR to 390,000 KHR with 230,000 KHR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 410,000 KHR per month with 110,000 KHR being the minimum spent amount and 690,000 KHR being the maximum.

©copound