Cost Of Living in Cameroon

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Cameroon

Whether you're living in Cameroon or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
370,000 XAF
average per month
92,000 XAF
Range
780,000 XAF

Couple
690,000 XAF
average per month
140,000 XAF
Range
1,100,000 XAF

Family
1,100,000 XAF
average per month
320,000 XAF
Range
1,700,000 XAF

Student
280,000 XAF
average per month
46,000 XAF
Range
600,000 XAF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Cameroon is 370,000 XAF. Expenses can range from 92,000 XAF at the minimum level to 780,000 XAF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Cameroon is 690,000 XAF. Expenditure can range from 140,000 XAF to 1,100,000 XAF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Cameroon is 1,100,000 XAF per month. Families spend anywhere from 320,000 XAF to 1,700,000 XAF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Cameroon is 280,000 XAF. Students spend from 46,000 XAF to 600,000 XAF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Cameroon

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

92 XAF

92 XAF
92 XAF

Fast food
combo meal

920 XAF

660 XAF
1,500 XAF

Restaurant
meal for one

3,100 XAF

2,400 XAF
3,800 XAF

Fine dining
meal for one

7,700 XAF

5,100 XAF
9,200 XAF

Soda
Soft Drink

77 XAF

77 XAF
77 XAF

Cappuccino
or latte

620 XAF

380 XAF
920 XAF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

460 XAF

380 XAF
510 XAF

Loaf of
bread

66 XAF

58 XAF
77 XAF

12
eggs

460 XAF

380 XAF
580 XAF

Fresh whole
chicken

1,100 XAF

840 XAF
1,300 XAF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

1,200 XAF

1,000 XAF
1,500 XAF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

660 XAF

580 XAF
770 XAF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

310 XAF

260 XAF
380 XAF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

330 XAF

290 XAF
360 XAF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

320 XAF

280 XAF
360 XAF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

460 XAF

380 XAF
920 XAF

Average car
full tank

3,100 XAF

2,300 XAF
6,200 XAF

Average car
1-day rental

3,100 XAF

2,300 XAF
4,600 XAF

Average car
price

2,300,000 XAF

1,200,000 XAF
3,100,000 XAF

Bus ticket
one way

120 XAF

77 XAF
230 XAF

Car
Service

4,600 XAF

3,100 XAF
9,200 XAF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

22,000 XAF

5,500 XAF
47,000 XAF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

28,000 XAF

6,900 XAF
55,000 XAF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

44,000 XAF

9,700 XAF
50,000 XAF

Internet
and cable

4,600 XAF

2,300 XAF
6,200 XAF

Mobile phone
charges

3,100 XAF

1,800 XAF
9,200 XAF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

1,500 XAF

1,200 XAF
2,300 XAF

One month gym
membership

4,600 XAF

3,700 XAF
9,200 XAF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

3,800 XAF

2,700 XAF
5,800 XAF

Woman
dress

3,600 XAF

2,600 XAF
12,000 XAF

Woman
shoes

3,300 XAF

2,400 XAF
7,700 XAF

Men
shoes

2,600 XAF

2,100 XAF
5,100 XAF

Men
suit

2,900 XAF

2,300 XAF
15,000 XAF

Regular
t-shirt

1,500 XAF

1,200 XAF
4,600 XAF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

58,000 XAF

38,000 XAF
150,000 XAF

1-bedroom
apartment

92,000 XAF

58,000 XAF
230,000 XAF

2-bedroom
apartment

120,000 XAF

77,000 XAF
310,000 XAF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

12,000,000 XAF

7,700,000 XAF
23,000,000 XAF

1-bedroom
apartment

15,000,000 XAF

9,200,000 XAF
58,000,000 XAF

2-bedroom
apartment

46,000,000 XAF

15,000,000 XAF
92,000,000 XAF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

58,000 XAF

46,000 XAF
77,000 XAF

Double
Bed

46,000 XAF

31,000 XAF
58,000 XAF

Single
Bed

36,000 XAF

27,000 XAF
46,000 XAF

Living
Room

66,000 XAF

51,000 XAF
230,000 XAF

Dining
Table

31,000 XAF

23,000 XAF
58,000 XAF

Sofa
or Couch

42,000 XAF

31,000 XAF
92,000 XAF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

46,000 XAF

31,000 XAF
92,000 XAF

Fridge
or Freezer

42,000 XAF

27,000 XAF
58,000 XAF

Washing
Machine

51,000 XAF

36,000 XAF
92,000 XAF

Stove
or Cooker

42,000 XAF

33,000 XAF
58,000 XAF

Mobile
Phone

46,000 XAF

38,000 XAF
66,000 XAF

Laptop
or Computer

51,000 XAF

42,000 XAF
92,000 XAF

How do people spend their money in Cameroon?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Cameroon

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW33,000 XAF
AVERAGE130,000 XAF
HIGH280,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW5,500 XAF
AVERAGE22,000 XAF
HIGH47,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW7,400 XAF
AVERAGE30,000 XAF
HIGH63,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW15,000 XAF
AVERAGE59,000 XAF
HIGH130,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW8,300 XAF
AVERAGE33,000 XAF
HIGH71,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW4,600 XAF
AVERAGE18,000 XAF
HIGH39,000 XAF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,800 XAF
AVERAGE7,400 XAF
HIGH16,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW17,000 XAF
AVERAGE66,000 XAF
HIGH140,000 XAF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Cameroon

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW46,000 XAF
AVERAGE230,000 XAF
HIGH370,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW6,900 XAF
AVERAGE28,000 XAF
HIGH55,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW17,000 XAF
AVERAGE83,000 XAF
HIGH130,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW19,000 XAF
AVERAGE97,000 XAF
HIGH160,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW15,000 XAF
AVERAGE76,000 XAF
HIGH120,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW8,300 XAF
AVERAGE42,000 XAF
HIGH66,000 XAF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,800 XAF
AVERAGE14,000 XAF
HIGH22,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW24,000 XAF
AVERAGE120,000 XAF
HIGH190,000 XAF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Cameroon

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW100,000 XAF
AVERAGE350,000 XAF
HIGH530,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW9,700 XAF
AVERAGE44,000 XAF
HIGH50,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW26,000 XAF
AVERAGE89,000 XAF
HIGH130,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW58,000 XAF
AVERAGE200,000 XAF
HIGH300,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW26,000 XAF
AVERAGE89,000 XAF
HIGH130,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW16,000 XAF
AVERAGE55,000 XAF
HIGH83,000 XAF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW45,000 XAF
AVERAGE160,000 XAF
HIGH230,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW39,000 XAF
AVERAGE130,000 XAF
HIGH200,000 XAF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Cameroon

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW11,000 XAF
AVERAGE66,000 XAF
HIGH140,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW1,800 XAF
AVERAGE11,000 XAF
HIGH24,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW3,200 XAF
AVERAGE19,000 XAF
HIGH42,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW9,200 XAF
AVERAGE55,000 XAF
HIGH120,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW2,800 XAF
AVERAGE17,000 XAF
HIGH36,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,300 XAF
AVERAGE14,000 XAF
HIGH30,000 XAF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW8,800 XAF
AVERAGE53,000 XAF
HIGH110,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW6,900 XAF
AVERAGE42,000 XAF
HIGH90,000 XAF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Cameroon typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 200,000 XAF with expenditure ranging from 48,000 XAF and 330,000 XAF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Cameroon ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 26,000 XAF with 6,000 XAF and 44,000 XAF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 13,000 XAF to 93,000 XAF on commuting with 55,000 XAF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Cameroon is 100,000 XAF. The cost of groceries can range between 25,000 XAF to 170,000 XAF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Cameroon allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 13,000 XAF to 90,000 XAF with 54,000 XAF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 7,800 XAF to 55,000 XAF with 32,000 XAF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 57,000 XAF per month with 15,000 XAF being the minimum spent amount and 96,000 XAF being the maximum.

©copound