Cost Of Living in Cape Verde

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Cape Verde

Whether you're living in Cape Verde or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
160,000 CVE
average per month
41,000 CVE
Range
350,000 CVE

Couple
310,000 CVE
average per month
61,000 CVE
Range
490,000 CVE

Family
490,000 CVE
average per month
140,000 CVE
Range
740,000 CVE

Student
120,000 CVE
average per month
20,000 CVE
Range
270,000 CVE
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Cape Verde is 160,000 CVE. Expenses can range from 41,000 CVE at the minimum level to 350,000 CVE at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Cape Verde is 310,000 CVE. Expenditure can range from 61,000 CVE to 490,000 CVE per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Cape Verde is 490,000 CVE per month. Families spend anywhere from 140,000 CVE to 740,000 CVE.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Cape Verde is 120,000 CVE. Students spend from 20,000 CVE to 270,000 CVE per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Cape Verde

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

41 CVE

41 CVE
41 CVE

Fast food
combo meal

410 CVE

290 CVE
680 CVE

Restaurant
meal for one

1,400 CVE

1,100 CVE
1,700 CVE

Fine dining
meal for one

3,400 CVE

2,300 CVE
4,100 CVE

Soda
Soft Drink

34 CVE

34 CVE
34 CVE

Cappuccino
or latte

270 CVE

170 CVE
410 CVE

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

200 CVE

170 CVE
230 CVE

Loaf of
bread

29 CVE

26 CVE
34 CVE

12
eggs

200 CVE

170 CVE
260 CVE

Fresh whole
chicken

480 CVE

370 CVE
590 CVE

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

540 CVE

460 CVE
680 CVE

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

290 CVE

260 CVE
340 CVE

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

140 CVE

110 CVE
170 CVE

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

150 CVE

130 CVE
160 CVE

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

140 CVE

120 CVE
160 CVE

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

200 CVE

170 CVE
410 CVE

Average car
full tank

1,400 CVE

1,000 CVE
2,700 CVE

Average car
1-day rental

1,400 CVE

1,000 CVE
2,000 CVE

Average car
price

1,000,000 CVE

510,000 CVE
1,400,000 CVE

Bus ticket
one way

51 CVE

34 CVE
100 CVE

Car
Service

2,000 CVE

1,400 CVE
4,100 CVE

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

9,800 CVE

2,500 CVE
21,000 CVE

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

12,000 CVE

3,100 CVE
25,000 CVE

Electricity
and water bill
Family

20,000 CVE

4,300 CVE
22,000 CVE

Internet
and cable

2,000 CVE

1,000 CVE
2,700 CVE

Mobile phone
charges

1,400 CVE

820 CVE
4,100 CVE

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

680 CVE

510 CVE
1,000 CVE

One month gym
membership

2,000 CVE

1,600 CVE
4,100 CVE

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

1,700 CVE

1,200 CVE
2,600 CVE

Woman
dress

1,600 CVE

1,100 CVE
5,100 CVE

Woman
shoes

1,500 CVE

1,100 CVE
3,400 CVE

Men
shoes

1,100 CVE

930 CVE
2,300 CVE

Men
suit

1,300 CVE

1,000 CVE
6,800 CVE

Regular
t-shirt

680 CVE

510 CVE
2,000 CVE

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

26,000 CVE

17,000 CVE
68,000 CVE

1-bedroom
apartment

41,000 CVE

26,000 CVE
100,000 CVE

2-bedroom
apartment

51,000 CVE

34,000 CVE
140,000 CVE

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

5,100,000 CVE

3,400,000 CVE
10,000,000 CVE

1-bedroom
apartment

6,800,000 CVE

4,100,000 CVE
26,000,000 CVE

2-bedroom
apartment

20,000,000 CVE

6,800,000 CVE
41,000,000 CVE

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

26,000 CVE

20,000 CVE
34,000 CVE

Double
Bed

20,000 CVE

14,000 CVE
26,000 CVE

Single
Bed

16,000 CVE

12,000 CVE
20,000 CVE

Living
Room

29,000 CVE

23,000 CVE
100,000 CVE

Dining
Table

14,000 CVE

10,000 CVE
26,000 CVE

Sofa
or Couch

19,000 CVE

14,000 CVE
41,000 CVE

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

20,000 CVE

14,000 CVE
41,000 CVE

Fridge
or Freezer

19,000 CVE

12,000 CVE
26,000 CVE

Washing
Machine

23,000 CVE

16,000 CVE
41,000 CVE

Stove
or Cooker

19,000 CVE

15,000 CVE
26,000 CVE

Mobile
Phone

20,000 CVE

17,000 CVE
29,000 CVE

Laptop
or Computer

23,000 CVE

19,000 CVE
41,000 CVE

How do people spend their money in Cape Verde?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Cape Verde

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW15,000 CVE
AVERAGE59,000 CVE
HIGH130,000 CVE
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,500 CVE
AVERAGE9,800 CVE
HIGH21,000 CVE
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW3,300 CVE
AVERAGE13,000 CVE
HIGH28,000 CVE
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW6,600 CVE
AVERAGE26,000 CVE
HIGH56,000 CVE
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW3,700 CVE
AVERAGE15,000 CVE
HIGH31,000 CVE
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,000 CVE
AVERAGE8,200 CVE
HIGH17,000 CVE
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW820 CVE
AVERAGE3,300 CVE
HIGH7,000 CVE
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW7,400 CVE
AVERAGE30,000 CVE
HIGH63,000 CVE
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Cape Verde

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW20,000 CVE
AVERAGE100,000 CVE
HIGH160,000 CVE
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW3,100 CVE
AVERAGE12,000 CVE
HIGH25,000 CVE
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW7,400 CVE
AVERAGE37,000 CVE
HIGH59,000 CVE
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW8,600 CVE
AVERAGE43,000 CVE
HIGH69,000 CVE
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW6,800 CVE
AVERAGE34,000 CVE
HIGH54,000 CVE
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW3,700 CVE
AVERAGE18,000 CVE
HIGH30,000 CVE
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,200 CVE
AVERAGE6,100 CVE
HIGH9,800 CVE
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW10,000 CVE
AVERAGE52,000 CVE
HIGH84,000 CVE
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Cape Verde

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW46,000 CVE
AVERAGE160,000 CVE
HIGH240,000 CVE
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW4,300 CVE
AVERAGE20,000 CVE
HIGH22,000 CVE
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW11,000 CVE
AVERAGE39,000 CVE
HIGH59,000 CVE
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW26,000 CVE
AVERAGE89,000 CVE
HIGH130,000 CVE
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW11,000 CVE
AVERAGE39,000 CVE
HIGH59,000 CVE
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW7,200 CVE
AVERAGE25,000 CVE
HIGH37,000 CVE
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW20,000 CVE
AVERAGE69,000 CVE
HIGH100,000 CVE
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW17,000 CVE
AVERAGE59,000 CVE
HIGH89,000 CVE
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Cape Verde

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW4,900 CVE
AVERAGE30,000 CVE
HIGH64,000 CVE
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW820 CVE
AVERAGE4,900 CVE
HIGH11,000 CVE
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW1,400 CVE
AVERAGE8,600 CVE
HIGH19,000 CVE
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW4,100 CVE
AVERAGE25,000 CVE
HIGH53,000 CVE
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW1,200 CVE
AVERAGE7,400 CVE
HIGH16,000 CVE
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,000 CVE
AVERAGE6,100 CVE
HIGH13,000 CVE
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW3,900 CVE
AVERAGE23,000 CVE
HIGH51,000 CVE
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW3,100 CVE
AVERAGE18,000 CVE
HIGH40,000 CVE
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Cape Verde typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 87,000 CVE with expenditure ranging from 21,000 CVE and 150,000 CVE. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Cape Verde ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 12,000 CVE with 2,700 CVE and 20,000 CVE being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 5,900 CVE to 41,000 CVE on commuting with 24,000 CVE being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Cape Verde is 46,000 CVE. The cost of groceries can range between 11,000 CVE to 78,000 CVE. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Cape Verde allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 5,800 CVE to 40,000 CVE with 24,000 CVE being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 3,500 CVE to 24,000 CVE with 14,000 CVE being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 25,000 CVE per month with 6,500 CVE being the minimum spent amount and 43,000 CVE being the maximum.

©copound