Cost Of Living in Cayman Islands

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Cayman Islands

Whether you're living in Cayman Islands or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,600 KYD
average per month
650 KYD
Range
5,500 KYD

Couple
4,900 KYD
average per month
980 KYD
Range
7,800 KYD

Family
7,800 KYD
average per month
2,300 KYD
Range
12,000 KYD

Student
2,000 KYD
average per month
330 KYD
Range
4,200 KYD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Cayman Islands is 2,600 KYD. Expenses can range from 650 KYD at the minimum level to 5,500 KYD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Cayman Islands is 4,900 KYD. Expenditure can range from 980 KYD to 7,800 KYD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Cayman Islands is 7,800 KYD per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,300 KYD to 12,000 KYD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Cayman Islands is 2,000 KYD. Students spend from 330 KYD to 4,200 KYD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Cayman Islands

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.65 KYD

0.65 KYD
0.65 KYD

Fast food
combo meal

6.5 KYD

4.7 KYD
11 KYD

Restaurant
meal for one

22 KYD

17 KYD
27 KYD

Fine dining
meal for one

54 KYD

36 KYD
65 KYD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.54 KYD

0.54 KYD
0.54 KYD

Cappuccino
or latte

4.3 KYD

2.7 KYD
6.5 KYD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.3 KYD

2.7 KYD
3.6 KYD

Loaf of
bread

0.46 KYD

0.41 KYD
0.54 KYD

12
eggs

3.3 KYD

2.7 KYD
4.1 KYD

Fresh whole
chicken

7.6 KYD

5.9 KYD
9.3 KYD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

8.6 KYD

7.2 KYD
11 KYD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

4.7 KYD

4.1 KYD
5.4 KYD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.2 KYD

1.8 KYD
2.7 KYD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.3 KYD

2.0 KYD
2.5 KYD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.2 KYD

2.0 KYD
2.5 KYD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.3 KYD

2.7 KYD
6.5 KYD

Average car
full tank

22 KYD

16 KYD
43 KYD

Average car
1-day rental

22 KYD

16 KYD
33 KYD

Average car
price

16,000 KYD

8,100 KYD
22,000 KYD

Bus ticket
one way

0.81 KYD

0.54 KYD
1.6 KYD

Car
Service

33 KYD

22 KYD
65 KYD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

160 KYD

39 KYD
330 KYD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

200 KYD

49 KYD
390 KYD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

310 KYD

68 KYD
350 KYD

Internet
and cable

33 KYD

16 KYD
43 KYD

Mobile phone
charges

22 KYD

13 KYD
65 KYD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

11 KYD

8.1 KYD
16 KYD

One month gym
membership

33 KYD

26 KYD
65 KYD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

27 KYD

19 KYD
41 KYD

Woman
dress

25 KYD

18 KYD
81 KYD

Woman
shoes

23 KYD

17 KYD
54 KYD

Men
shoes

18 KYD

15 KYD
36 KYD

Men
suit

20 KYD

16 KYD
110 KYD

Regular
t-shirt

11 KYD

8.1 KYD
33 KYD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

410 KYD

270 KYD
1,100 KYD

1-bedroom
apartment

650 KYD

410 KYD
1,600 KYD

2-bedroom
apartment

810 KYD

540 KYD
2,200 KYD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

81,000 KYD

54,000 KYD
160,000 KYD

1-bedroom
apartment

110,000 KYD

65,000 KYD
410,000 KYD

2-bedroom
apartment

330,000 KYD

110,000 KYD
650,000 KYD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

410 KYD

330 KYD
540 KYD

Double
Bed

330 KYD

220 KYD
410 KYD

Single
Bed

250 KYD

190 KYD
330 KYD

Living
Room

460 KYD

360 KYD
1,600 KYD

Dining
Table

220 KYD

160 KYD
410 KYD

Sofa
or Couch

300 KYD

220 KYD
650 KYD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

330 KYD

220 KYD
650 KYD

Fridge
or Freezer

300 KYD

190 KYD
410 KYD

Washing
Machine

360 KYD

250 KYD
650 KYD

Stove
or Cooker

300 KYD

230 KYD
410 KYD

Mobile
Phone

330 KYD

270 KYD
460 KYD

Laptop
or Computer

360 KYD

300 KYD
650 KYD

How do people spend their money in Cayman Islands?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Cayman Islands

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW230 KYD
AVERAGE940 KYD
HIGH2,000 KYD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW39 KYD
AVERAGE160 KYD
HIGH330 KYD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW52 KYD
AVERAGE210 KYD
HIGH440 KYD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW100 KYD
AVERAGE420 KYD
HIGH890 KYD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW59 KYD
AVERAGE230 KYD
HIGH500 KYD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW33 KYD
AVERAGE130 KYD
HIGH280 KYD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW13 KYD
AVERAGE52 KYD
HIGH110 KYD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW120 KYD
AVERAGE470 KYD
HIGH1,000 KYD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Cayman Islands

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW320 KYD
AVERAGE1,600 KYD
HIGH2,600 KYD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW49 KYD
AVERAGE200 KYD
HIGH390 KYD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW120 KYD
AVERAGE590 KYD
HIGH940 KYD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW140 KYD
AVERAGE680 KYD
HIGH1,100 KYD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW110 KYD
AVERAGE540 KYD
HIGH860 KYD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW59 KYD
AVERAGE290 KYD
HIGH470 KYD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW20 KYD
AVERAGE98 KYD
HIGH160 KYD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW170 KYD
AVERAGE830 KYD
HIGH1,300 KYD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Cayman Islands

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW730 KYD
AVERAGE2,500 KYD
HIGH3,700 KYD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW68 KYD
AVERAGE310 KYD
HIGH350 KYD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW180 KYD
AVERAGE620 KYD
HIGH940 KYD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW410 KYD
AVERAGE1,400 KYD
HIGH2,100 KYD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW180 KYD
AVERAGE620 KYD
HIGH940 KYD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW110 KYD
AVERAGE390 KYD
HIGH590 KYD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW320 KYD
AVERAGE1,100 KYD
HIGH1,600 KYD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW270 KYD
AVERAGE940 KYD
HIGH1,400 KYD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Cayman Islands

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW78 KYD
AVERAGE470 KYD
HIGH1,000 KYD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW13 KYD
AVERAGE78 KYD
HIGH170 KYD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW23 KYD
AVERAGE140 KYD
HIGH300 KYD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW65 KYD
AVERAGE390 KYD
HIGH850 KYD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW20 KYD
AVERAGE120 KYD
HIGH250 KYD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW16 KYD
AVERAGE98 KYD
HIGH210 KYD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW62 KYD
AVERAGE370 KYD
HIGH800 KYD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW49 KYD
AVERAGE290 KYD
HIGH630 KYD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Cayman Islands typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,400 KYD with expenditure ranging from 340 KYD and 2,300 KYD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Cayman Islands ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 190 KYD with 42 KYD and 310 KYD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 94 KYD to 650 KYD on commuting with 390 KYD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Cayman Islands is 720 KYD. The cost of groceries can range between 180 KYD to 1,200 KYD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Cayman Islands allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 92 KYD to 640 KYD with 380 KYD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 55 KYD to 390 KYD with 230 KYD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 400 KYD per month with 100 KYD being the minimum spent amount and 680 KYD being the maximum.

©copound