Cost Of Living in Central African Republic

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Central African Republic

Whether you're living in Central African Republic or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
350,000 XAF
average per month
87,000 XAF
Range
740,000 XAF

Couple
650,000 XAF
average per month
130,000 XAF
Range
1,000,000 XAF

Family
1,000,000 XAF
average per month
300,000 XAF
Range
1,600,000 XAF

Student
260,000 XAF
average per month
43,000 XAF
Range
560,000 XAF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Central African Republic is 350,000 XAF. Expenses can range from 87,000 XAF at the minimum level to 740,000 XAF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Central African Republic is 650,000 XAF. Expenditure can range from 130,000 XAF to 1,000,000 XAF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Central African Republic is 1,000,000 XAF per month. Families spend anywhere from 300,000 XAF to 1,600,000 XAF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Central African Republic is 260,000 XAF. Students spend from 43,000 XAF to 560,000 XAF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Central African Republic

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

87 XAF

87 XAF
87 XAF

Fast food
combo meal

870 XAF

620 XAF
1,400 XAF

Restaurant
meal for one

2,900 XAF

2,300 XAF
3,600 XAF

Fine dining
meal for one

7,200 XAF

4,800 XAF
8,700 XAF

Soda
Soft Drink

72 XAF

72 XAF
72 XAF

Cappuccino
or latte

580 XAF

360 XAF
870 XAF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

430 XAF

360 XAF
480 XAF

Loaf of
bread

62 XAF

54 XAF
72 XAF

12
eggs

430 XAF

360 XAF
540 XAF

Fresh whole
chicken

1,000 XAF

790 XAF
1,200 XAF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

1,100 XAF

970 XAF
1,400 XAF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

620 XAF

540 XAF
720 XAF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

290 XAF

240 XAF
360 XAF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

310 XAF

270 XAF
330 XAF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

300 XAF

260 XAF
330 XAF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

430 XAF

360 XAF
870 XAF

Average car
full tank

2,900 XAF

2,200 XAF
5,800 XAF

Average car
1-day rental

2,900 XAF

2,200 XAF
4,300 XAF

Average car
price

2,200,000 XAF

1,100,000 XAF
2,900,000 XAF

Bus ticket
one way

110 XAF

72 XAF
220 XAF

Car
Service

4,300 XAF

2,900 XAF
8,700 XAF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

21,000 XAF

5,200 XAF
44,000 XAF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

26,000 XAF

6,500 XAF
52,000 XAF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

42,000 XAF

9,100 XAF
47,000 XAF

Internet
and cable

4,300 XAF

2,200 XAF
5,800 XAF

Mobile phone
charges

2,900 XAF

1,700 XAF
8,700 XAF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

1,400 XAF

1,100 XAF
2,200 XAF

One month gym
membership

4,300 XAF

3,500 XAF
8,700 XAF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

3,600 XAF

2,600 XAF
5,400 XAF

Woman
dress

3,300 XAF

2,400 XAF
11,000 XAF

Woman
shoes

3,100 XAF

2,300 XAF
7,200 XAF

Men
shoes

2,400 XAF

2,000 XAF
4,800 XAF

Men
suit

2,700 XAF

2,200 XAF
14,000 XAF

Regular
t-shirt

1,400 XAF

1,100 XAF
4,300 XAF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

54,000 XAF

36,000 XAF
140,000 XAF

1-bedroom
apartment

87,000 XAF

54,000 XAF
220,000 XAF

2-bedroom
apartment

110,000 XAF

72,000 XAF
290,000 XAF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

11,000,000 XAF

7,200,000 XAF
22,000,000 XAF

1-bedroom
apartment

14,000,000 XAF

8,700,000 XAF
54,000,000 XAF

2-bedroom
apartment

43,000,000 XAF

14,000,000 XAF
87,000,000 XAF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

54,000 XAF

43,000 XAF
72,000 XAF

Double
Bed

43,000 XAF

29,000 XAF
54,000 XAF

Single
Bed

33,000 XAF

26,000 XAF
43,000 XAF

Living
Room

62,000 XAF

48,000 XAF
220,000 XAF

Dining
Table

29,000 XAF

22,000 XAF
54,000 XAF

Sofa
or Couch

39,000 XAF

29,000 XAF
87,000 XAF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

43,000 XAF

29,000 XAF
87,000 XAF

Fridge
or Freezer

39,000 XAF

26,000 XAF
54,000 XAF

Washing
Machine

48,000 XAF

33,000 XAF
87,000 XAF

Stove
or Cooker

39,000 XAF

31,000 XAF
54,000 XAF

Mobile
Phone

43,000 XAF

36,000 XAF
62,000 XAF

Laptop
or Computer

48,000 XAF

39,000 XAF
87,000 XAF

How do people spend their money in Central African Republic?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Central African Republic

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW31,000 XAF
AVERAGE130,000 XAF
HIGH270,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW5,200 XAF
AVERAGE21,000 XAF
HIGH44,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW6,900 XAF
AVERAGE28,000 XAF
HIGH59,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW14,000 XAF
AVERAGE56,000 XAF
HIGH120,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW7,800 XAF
AVERAGE31,000 XAF
HIGH66,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW4,300 XAF
AVERAGE17,000 XAF
HIGH37,000 XAF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,700 XAF
AVERAGE6,900 XAF
HIGH15,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW16,000 XAF
AVERAGE63,000 XAF
HIGH130,000 XAF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Central African Republic

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW43,000 XAF
AVERAGE210,000 XAF
HIGH340,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW6,500 XAF
AVERAGE26,000 XAF
HIGH52,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW16,000 XAF
AVERAGE78,000 XAF
HIGH130,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW18,000 XAF
AVERAGE91,000 XAF
HIGH150,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW14,000 XAF
AVERAGE72,000 XAF
HIGH110,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW7,800 XAF
AVERAGE39,000 XAF
HIGH63,000 XAF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,600 XAF
AVERAGE13,000 XAF
HIGH21,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW22,000 XAF
AVERAGE110,000 XAF
HIGH180,000 XAF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Central African Republic

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW97,000 XAF
AVERAGE330,000 XAF
HIGH500,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW9,100 XAF
AVERAGE42,000 XAF
HIGH47,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW24,000 XAF
AVERAGE83,000 XAF
HIGH130,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW55,000 XAF
AVERAGE190,000 XAF
HIGH280,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW24,000 XAF
AVERAGE83,000 XAF
HIGH130,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW15,000 XAF
AVERAGE52,000 XAF
HIGH78,000 XAF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW43,000 XAF
AVERAGE150,000 XAF
HIGH220,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW36,000 XAF
AVERAGE130,000 XAF
HIGH190,000 XAF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Central African Republic

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW10,000 XAF
AVERAGE63,000 XAF
HIGH140,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW1,700 XAF
AVERAGE10,000 XAF
HIGH23,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW3,000 XAF
AVERAGE18,000 XAF
HIGH40,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW8,700 XAF
AVERAGE52,000 XAF
HIGH110,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW2,600 XAF
AVERAGE16,000 XAF
HIGH34,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,200 XAF
AVERAGE13,000 XAF
HIGH28,000 XAF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW8,300 XAF
AVERAGE50,000 XAF
HIGH110,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW6,500 XAF
AVERAGE39,000 XAF
HIGH85,000 XAF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Central African Republic typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 180,000 XAF with expenditure ranging from 45,000 XAF and 310,000 XAF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Central African Republic ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 25,000 XAF with 5,600 XAF and 41,000 XAF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 12,000 XAF to 87,000 XAF on commuting with 52,000 XAF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Central African Republic is 97,000 XAF. The cost of groceries can range between 24,000 XAF to 160,000 XAF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Central African Republic allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 12,000 XAF to 85,000 XAF with 50,000 XAF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 7,400 XAF to 51,000 XAF with 30,000 XAF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 54,000 XAF per month with 14,000 XAF being the minimum spent amount and 90,000 XAF being the maximum.

©copound