Cost Of Living in Chad

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Chad

Whether you're living in Chad or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
390,000 XAF
average per month
98,000 XAF
Range
830,000 XAF

Couple
730,000 XAF
average per month
150,000 XAF
Range
1,200,000 XAF

Family
1,200,000 XAF
average per month
340,000 XAF
Range
1,800,000 XAF

Student
290,000 XAF
average per month
49,000 XAF
Range
640,000 XAF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Chad is 390,000 XAF. Expenses can range from 98,000 XAF at the minimum level to 830,000 XAF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Chad is 730,000 XAF. Expenditure can range from 150,000 XAF to 1,200,000 XAF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Chad is 1,200,000 XAF per month. Families spend anywhere from 340,000 XAF to 1,800,000 XAF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Chad is 290,000 XAF. Students spend from 49,000 XAF to 640,000 XAF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Chad

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

98 XAF

98 XAF
98 XAF

Fast food
combo meal

980 XAF

700 XAF
1,600 XAF

Restaurant
meal for one

3,300 XAF

2,600 XAF
4,100 XAF

Fine dining
meal for one

8,200 XAF

5,400 XAF
9,800 XAF

Soda
Soft Drink

82 XAF

82 XAF
82 XAF

Cappuccino
or latte

650 XAF

410 XAF
980 XAF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

490 XAF

410 XAF
540 XAF

Loaf of
bread

70 XAF

61 XAF
82 XAF

12
eggs

490 XAF

410 XAF
610 XAF

Fresh whole
chicken

1,100 XAF

890 XAF
1,400 XAF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

1,300 XAF

1,100 XAF
1,600 XAF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

700 XAF

610 XAF
820 XAF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

330 XAF

270 XAF
410 XAF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

350 XAF

310 XAF
380 XAF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

340 XAF

300 XAF
380 XAF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

490 XAF

410 XAF
980 XAF

Average car
full tank

3,300 XAF

2,400 XAF
6,500 XAF

Average car
1-day rental

3,300 XAF

2,400 XAF
4,900 XAF

Average car
price

2,400,000 XAF

1,200,000 XAF
3,300,000 XAF

Bus ticket
one way

120 XAF

82 XAF
240 XAF

Car
Service

4,900 XAF

3,300 XAF
9,800 XAF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

23,000 XAF

5,900 XAF
50,000 XAF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

29,000 XAF

7,300 XAF
59,000 XAF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

47,000 XAF

10,000 XAF
53,000 XAF

Internet
and cable

4,900 XAF

2,400 XAF
6,500 XAF

Mobile phone
charges

3,300 XAF

2,000 XAF
9,800 XAF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

1,600 XAF

1,200 XAF
2,400 XAF

One month gym
membership

4,900 XAF

3,900 XAF
9,800 XAF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

4,100 XAF

2,900 XAF
6,100 XAF

Woman
dress

3,800 XAF

2,700 XAF
12,000 XAF

Woman
shoes

3,500 XAF

2,600 XAF
8,200 XAF

Men
shoes

2,700 XAF

2,200 XAF
5,400 XAF

Men
suit

3,100 XAF

2,400 XAF
16,000 XAF

Regular
t-shirt

1,600 XAF

1,200 XAF
4,900 XAF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

61,000 XAF

41,000 XAF
160,000 XAF

1-bedroom
apartment

98,000 XAF

61,000 XAF
240,000 XAF

2-bedroom
apartment

120,000 XAF

82,000 XAF
330,000 XAF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

12,000,000 XAF

8,200,000 XAF
24,000,000 XAF

1-bedroom
apartment

16,000,000 XAF

9,800,000 XAF
61,000,000 XAF

2-bedroom
apartment

49,000,000 XAF

16,000,000 XAF
98,000,000 XAF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

61,000 XAF

49,000 XAF
82,000 XAF

Double
Bed

49,000 XAF

33,000 XAF
61,000 XAF

Single
Bed

38,000 XAF

29,000 XAF
49,000 XAF

Living
Room

70,000 XAF

54,000 XAF
240,000 XAF

Dining
Table

33,000 XAF

24,000 XAF
61,000 XAF

Sofa
or Couch

44,000 XAF

33,000 XAF
98,000 XAF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

49,000 XAF

33,000 XAF
98,000 XAF

Fridge
or Freezer

44,000 XAF

29,000 XAF
61,000 XAF

Washing
Machine

54,000 XAF

38,000 XAF
98,000 XAF

Stove
or Cooker

44,000 XAF

35,000 XAF
61,000 XAF

Mobile
Phone

49,000 XAF

41,000 XAF
70,000 XAF

Laptop
or Computer

54,000 XAF

44,000 XAF
98,000 XAF

How do people spend their money in Chad?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Chad

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW35,000 XAF
AVERAGE140,000 XAF
HIGH300,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW5,900 XAF
AVERAGE23,000 XAF
HIGH50,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW7,800 XAF
AVERAGE31,000 XAF
HIGH67,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW16,000 XAF
AVERAGE63,000 XAF
HIGH130,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW8,800 XAF
AVERAGE35,000 XAF
HIGH75,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW4,900 XAF
AVERAGE20,000 XAF
HIGH42,000 XAF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,000 XAF
AVERAGE7,800 XAF
HIGH17,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW18,000 XAF
AVERAGE70,000 XAF
HIGH150,000 XAF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Chad

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW48,000 XAF
AVERAGE240,000 XAF
HIGH390,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW7,300 XAF
AVERAGE29,000 XAF
HIGH59,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW18,000 XAF
AVERAGE88,000 XAF
HIGH140,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW21,000 XAF
AVERAGE100,000 XAF
HIGH160,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW16,000 XAF
AVERAGE81,000 XAF
HIGH130,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW8,800 XAF
AVERAGE44,000 XAF
HIGH70,000 XAF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,900 XAF
AVERAGE15,000 XAF
HIGH23,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW25,000 XAF
AVERAGE120,000 XAF
HIGH200,000 XAF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Chad

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW110,000 XAF
AVERAGE380,000 XAF
HIGH560,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW10,000 XAF
AVERAGE47,000 XAF
HIGH53,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW27,000 XAF
AVERAGE94,000 XAF
HIGH140,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW62,000 XAF
AVERAGE210,000 XAF
HIGH320,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW27,000 XAF
AVERAGE94,000 XAF
HIGH140,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW17,000 XAF
AVERAGE59,000 XAF
HIGH88,000 XAF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW48,000 XAF
AVERAGE160,000 XAF
HIGH250,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW41,000 XAF
AVERAGE140,000 XAF
HIGH210,000 XAF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Chad

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW12,000 XAF
AVERAGE70,000 XAF
HIGH150,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW2,000 XAF
AVERAGE12,000 XAF
HIGH25,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW3,400 XAF
AVERAGE21,000 XAF
HIGH45,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW9,800 XAF
AVERAGE59,000 XAF
HIGH130,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW2,900 XAF
AVERAGE18,000 XAF
HIGH38,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,400 XAF
AVERAGE15,000 XAF
HIGH32,000 XAF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW9,300 XAF
AVERAGE56,000 XAF
HIGH120,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW7,300 XAF
AVERAGE44,000 XAF
HIGH95,000 XAF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Chad typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 210,000 XAF with expenditure ranging from 51,000 XAF and 350,000 XAF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Chad ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 28,000 XAF with 6,400 XAF and 47,000 XAF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 14,000 XAF to 98,000 XAF on commuting with 58,000 XAF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Chad is 110,000 XAF. The cost of groceries can range between 27,000 XAF to 190,000 XAF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Chad allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 14,000 XAF to 96,000 XAF with 57,000 XAF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 8,300 XAF to 58,000 XAF with 34,000 XAF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 61,000 XAF per month with 16,000 XAF being the minimum spent amount and 100,000 XAF being the maximum.

©copound