Cost Of Living in Chile

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Chile

Whether you're living in Chile or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,500,000 CLP
average per month
380,000 CLP
Range
3,200,000 CLP

Couple
2,800,000 CLP
average per month
560,000 CLP
Range
4,500,000 CLP

Family
4,500,000 CLP
average per month
1,300,000 CLP
Range
6,800,000 CLP

Student
1,100,000 CLP
average per month
190,000 CLP
Range
2,400,000 CLP
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Chile is 1,500,000 CLP. Expenses can range from 380,000 CLP at the minimum level to 3,200,000 CLP at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Chile is 2,800,000 CLP. Expenditure can range from 560,000 CLP to 4,500,000 CLP per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Chile is 4,500,000 CLP per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,300,000 CLP to 6,800,000 CLP.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Chile is 1,100,000 CLP. Students spend from 190,000 CLP to 2,400,000 CLP per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Chile

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

380 CLP

380 CLP
380 CLP

Fast food
combo meal

3,800 CLP

2,700 CLP
6,300 CLP

Restaurant
meal for one

13,000 CLP

9,900 CLP
16,000 CLP

Fine dining
meal for one

31,000 CLP

21,000 CLP
38,000 CLP

Soda
Soft Drink

310 CLP

310 CLP
310 CLP

Cappuccino
or latte

2,500 CLP

1,600 CLP
3,800 CLP

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1,900 CLP

1,600 CLP
2,100 CLP

Loaf of
bread

270 CLP

230 CLP
310 CLP

12
eggs

1,900 CLP

1,600 CLP
2,300 CLP

Fresh whole
chicken

4,400 CLP

3,400 CLP
5,400 CLP

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

4,900 CLP

4,200 CLP
6,300 CLP

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2,700 CLP

2,300 CLP
3,100 CLP

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1,300 CLP

1,000 CLP
1,600 CLP

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1,300 CLP

1,200 CLP
1,400 CLP

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1,300 CLP

1,100 CLP
1,400 CLP

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1,900 CLP

1,600 CLP
3,800 CLP

Average car
full tank

13,000 CLP

9,400 CLP
25,000 CLP

Average car
1-day rental

13,000 CLP

9,400 CLP
19,000 CLP

Average car
price

9,400,000 CLP

4,700,000 CLP
13,000,000 CLP

Bus ticket
one way

470 CLP

310 CLP
940 CLP

Car
Service

19,000 CLP

13,000 CLP
38,000 CLP

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

90,000 CLP

23,000 CLP
190,000 CLP

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

110,000 CLP

28,000 CLP
230,000 CLP

Electricity
and water bill
Family

180,000 CLP

39,000 CLP
200,000 CLP

Internet
and cable

19,000 CLP

9,400 CLP
25,000 CLP

Mobile phone
charges

13,000 CLP

7,500 CLP
38,000 CLP

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

6,300 CLP

4,700 CLP
9,400 CLP

One month gym
membership

19,000 CLP

15,000 CLP
38,000 CLP

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

16,000 CLP

11,000 CLP
23,000 CLP

Woman
dress

14,000 CLP

10,000 CLP
47,000 CLP

Woman
shoes

13,000 CLP

9,900 CLP
31,000 CLP

Men
shoes

10,000 CLP

8,500 CLP
21,000 CLP

Men
suit

12,000 CLP

9,400 CLP
63,000 CLP

Regular
t-shirt

6,300 CLP

4,700 CLP
19,000 CLP

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

230,000 CLP

160,000 CLP
630,000 CLP

1-bedroom
apartment

380,000 CLP

230,000 CLP
940,000 CLP

2-bedroom
apartment

470,000 CLP

310,000 CLP
1,300,000 CLP

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

47,000,000 CLP

31,000,000 CLP
94,000,000 CLP

1-bedroom
apartment

63,000,000 CLP

38,000,000 CLP
230,000,000 CLP

2-bedroom
apartment

190,000,000 CLP

63,000,000 CLP
380,000,000 CLP

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

230,000 CLP

190,000 CLP
310,000 CLP

Double
Bed

190,000 CLP

130,000 CLP
230,000 CLP

Single
Bed

140,000 CLP

110,000 CLP
190,000 CLP

Living
Room

270,000 CLP

210,000 CLP
940,000 CLP

Dining
Table

130,000 CLP

94,000 CLP
230,000 CLP

Sofa
or Couch

170,000 CLP

130,000 CLP
380,000 CLP

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

190,000 CLP

130,000 CLP
380,000 CLP

Fridge
or Freezer

170,000 CLP

110,000 CLP
230,000 CLP

Washing
Machine

210,000 CLP

140,000 CLP
380,000 CLP

Stove
or Cooker

170,000 CLP

130,000 CLP
230,000 CLP

Mobile
Phone

190,000 CLP

160,000 CLP
270,000 CLP

Laptop
or Computer

210,000 CLP

170,000 CLP
380,000 CLP

How do people spend their money in Chile?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Chile

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW140,000 CLP
AVERAGE540,000 CLP
HIGH1,100,000 CLP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW23,000 CLP
AVERAGE90,000 CLP
HIGH190,000 CLP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW30,000 CLP
AVERAGE120,000 CLP
HIGH260,000 CLP
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW60,000 CLP
AVERAGE240,000 CLP
HIGH510,000 CLP
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW34,000 CLP
AVERAGE140,000 CLP
HIGH290,000 CLP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW19,000 CLP
AVERAGE75,000 CLP
HIGH160,000 CLP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW7,500 CLP
AVERAGE30,000 CLP
HIGH64,000 CLP
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW68,000 CLP
AVERAGE270,000 CLP
HIGH570,000 CLP
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Chile

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW190,000 CLP
AVERAGE930,000 CLP
HIGH1,500,000 CLP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW28,000 CLP
AVERAGE110,000 CLP
HIGH230,000 CLP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW68,000 CLP
AVERAGE340,000 CLP
HIGH540,000 CLP
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW79,000 CLP
AVERAGE390,000 CLP
HIGH630,000 CLP
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW62,000 CLP
AVERAGE310,000 CLP
HIGH500,000 CLP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW34,000 CLP
AVERAGE170,000 CLP
HIGH270,000 CLP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW11,000 CLP
AVERAGE56,000 CLP
HIGH90,000 CLP
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW96,000 CLP
AVERAGE480,000 CLP
HIGH770,000 CLP
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Chile

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW420,000 CLP
AVERAGE1,400,000 CLP
HIGH2,200,000 CLP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW39,000 CLP
AVERAGE180,000 CLP
HIGH200,000 CLP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW110,000 CLP
AVERAGE360,000 CLP
HIGH540,000 CLP
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW240,000 CLP
AVERAGE810,000 CLP
HIGH1,200,000 CLP
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW110,000 CLP
AVERAGE360,000 CLP
HIGH540,000 CLP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW66,000 CLP
AVERAGE230,000 CLP
HIGH340,000 CLP
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW180,000 CLP
AVERAGE630,000 CLP
HIGH950,000 CLP
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW160,000 CLP
AVERAGE540,000 CLP
HIGH810,000 CLP
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Chile

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW45,000 CLP
AVERAGE270,000 CLP
HIGH590,000 CLP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW7,500 CLP
AVERAGE45,000 CLP
HIGH98,000 CLP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW13,000 CLP
AVERAGE79,000 CLP
HIGH170,000 CLP
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW38,000 CLP
AVERAGE230,000 CLP
HIGH490,000 CLP
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW11,000 CLP
AVERAGE68,000 CLP
HIGH150,000 CLP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW9,400 CLP
AVERAGE56,000 CLP
HIGH120,000 CLP
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW36,000 CLP
AVERAGE210,000 CLP
HIGH460,000 CLP
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW28,000 CLP
AVERAGE170,000 CLP
HIGH370,000 CLP
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Chile typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 790,000 CLP with expenditure ranging from 200,000 CLP and 1,300,000 CLP. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Chile ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 110,000 CLP with 24,000 CLP and 180,000 CLP being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 54,000 CLP to 380,000 CLP on commuting with 220,000 CLP being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Chile is 420,000 CLP. The cost of groceries can range between 100,000 CLP to 710,000 CLP. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Chile allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 53,000 CLP to 370,000 CLP with 220,000 CLP being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 32,000 CLP to 220,000 CLP with 130,000 CLP being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 230,000 CLP per month with 60,000 CLP being the minimum spent amount and 390,000 CLP being the maximum.

©copound