Cost Of Living in China

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in China

Whether you're living in China or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
24,000 CNY
average per month
5,900 CNY
Range
50,000 CNY

Couple
44,000 CNY
average per month
8,800 CNY
Range
71,000 CNY

Family
71,000 CNY
average per month
21,000 CNY
Range
110,000 CNY

Student
18,000 CNY
average per month
2,900 CNY
Range
38,000 CNY
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in China is 24,000 CNY. Expenses can range from 5,900 CNY at the minimum level to 50,000 CNY at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in China is 44,000 CNY. Expenditure can range from 8,800 CNY to 71,000 CNY per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in China is 71,000 CNY per month. Families spend anywhere from 21,000 CNY to 110,000 CNY.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in China is 18,000 CNY. Students spend from 2,900 CNY to 38,000 CNY per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in China

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

5.9 CNY

5.9 CNY
5.9 CNY

Fast food
combo meal

59 CNY

42 CNY
98 CNY

Restaurant
meal for one

200 CNY

150 CNY
250 CNY

Fine dining
meal for one

490 CNY

330 CNY
590 CNY

Soda
Soft Drink

4.9 CNY

4.9 CNY
4.9 CNY

Cappuccino
or latte

39 CNY

25 CNY
59 CNY

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

29 CNY

25 CNY
33 CNY

Loaf of
bread

4.2 CNY

3.7 CNY
4.9 CNY

12
eggs

29 CNY

25 CNY
37 CNY

Fresh whole
chicken

68 CNY

53 CNY
84 CNY

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

77 CNY

65 CNY
98 CNY

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

42 CNY

37 CNY
49 CNY

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

20 CNY

16 CNY
25 CNY

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

21 CNY

18 CNY
23 CNY

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

20 CNY

18 CNY
23 CNY

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

29 CNY

25 CNY
59 CNY

Average car
full tank

200 CNY

150 CNY
390 CNY

Average car
1-day rental

200 CNY

150 CNY
290 CNY

Average car
price

150,000 CNY

74,000 CNY
200,000 CNY

Bus ticket
one way

7.4 CNY

4.9 CNY
15 CNY

Car
Service

290 CNY

200 CNY
590 CNY

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,400 CNY

350 CNY
3,000 CNY

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,800 CNY

440 CNY
3,500 CNY

Electricity
and water bill
Family

2,800 CNY

620 CNY
3,200 CNY

Internet
and cable

290 CNY

150 CNY
390 CNY

Mobile phone
charges

200 CNY

120 CNY
590 CNY

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

98 CNY

74 CNY
150 CNY

One month gym
membership

290 CNY

240 CNY
590 CNY

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

250 CNY

170 CNY
370 CNY

Woman
dress

230 CNY

160 CNY
740 CNY

Woman
shoes

210 CNY

150 CNY
490 CNY

Men
shoes

160 CNY

130 CNY
330 CNY

Men
suit

180 CNY

150 CNY
980 CNY

Regular
t-shirt

98 CNY

74 CNY
290 CNY

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

3,700 CNY

2,500 CNY
9,800 CNY

1-bedroom
apartment

5,900 CNY

3,700 CNY
15,000 CNY

2-bedroom
apartment

7,400 CNY

4,900 CNY
20,000 CNY

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

740,000 CNY

490,000 CNY
1,500,000 CNY

1-bedroom
apartment

980,000 CNY

590,000 CNY
3,700,000 CNY

2-bedroom
apartment

2,900,000 CNY

980,000 CNY
5,900,000 CNY

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

3,700 CNY

2,900 CNY
4,900 CNY

Double
Bed

2,900 CNY

2,000 CNY
3,700 CNY

Single
Bed

2,300 CNY

1,700 CNY
2,900 CNY

Living
Room

4,200 CNY

3,300 CNY
15,000 CNY

Dining
Table

2,000 CNY

1,500 CNY
3,700 CNY

Sofa
or Couch

2,700 CNY

2,000 CNY
5,900 CNY

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

2,900 CNY

2,000 CNY
5,900 CNY

Fridge
or Freezer

2,700 CNY

1,700 CNY
3,700 CNY

Washing
Machine

3,300 CNY

2,300 CNY
5,900 CNY

Stove
or Cooker

2,700 CNY

2,100 CNY
3,700 CNY

Mobile
Phone

2,900 CNY

2,500 CNY
4,200 CNY

Laptop
or Computer

3,300 CNY

2,700 CNY
5,900 CNY

How do people spend their money in China?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in China

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW2,100 CNY
AVERAGE8,500 CNY
HIGH18,000 CNY
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW350 CNY
AVERAGE1,400 CNY
HIGH3,000 CNY
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW470 CNY
AVERAGE1,900 CNY
HIGH4,000 CNY
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW940 CNY
AVERAGE3,800 CNY
HIGH8,000 CNY
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW530 CNY
AVERAGE2,100 CNY
HIGH4,500 CNY
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW290 CNY
AVERAGE1,200 CNY
HIGH2,500 CNY
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW120 CNY
AVERAGE470 CNY
HIGH1,000 CNY
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,100 CNY
AVERAGE4,200 CNY
HIGH9,000 CNY
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in China

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW2,900 CNY
AVERAGE15,000 CNY
HIGH23,000 CNY
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW440 CNY
AVERAGE1,800 CNY
HIGH3,500 CNY
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,100 CNY
AVERAGE5,300 CNY
HIGH8,500 CNY
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,200 CNY
AVERAGE6,200 CNY
HIGH9,900 CNY
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW970 CNY
AVERAGE4,900 CNY
HIGH7,800 CNY
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW530 CNY
AVERAGE2,600 CNY
HIGH4,200 CNY
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW180 CNY
AVERAGE880 CNY
HIGH1,400 CNY
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,500 CNY
AVERAGE7,500 CNY
HIGH12,000 CNY
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in China

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW6,600 CNY
AVERAGE23,000 CNY
HIGH34,000 CNY
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW620 CNY
AVERAGE2,800 CNY
HIGH3,200 CNY
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,600 CNY
AVERAGE5,600 CNY
HIGH8,500 CNY
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW3,700 CNY
AVERAGE13,000 CNY
HIGH19,000 CNY
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,600 CNY
AVERAGE5,600 CNY
HIGH8,500 CNY
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,000 CNY
AVERAGE3,500 CNY
HIGH5,300 CNY
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW2,900 CNY
AVERAGE9,900 CNY
HIGH15,000 CNY
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW2,500 CNY
AVERAGE8,500 CNY
HIGH13,000 CNY
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in China

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW710 CNY
AVERAGE4,200 CNY
HIGH9,200 CNY
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW120 CNY
AVERAGE710 CNY
HIGH1,500 CNY
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW210 CNY
AVERAGE1,200 CNY
HIGH2,700 CNY
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW590 CNY
AVERAGE3,500 CNY
HIGH7,600 CNY
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW180 CNY
AVERAGE1,100 CNY
HIGH2,300 CNY
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW150 CNY
AVERAGE880 CNY
HIGH1,900 CNY
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW560 CNY
AVERAGE3,400 CNY
HIGH7,300 CNY
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW440 CNY
AVERAGE2,600 CNY
HIGH5,700 CNY
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in China typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 12,000 CNY with expenditure ranging from 3,100 CNY and 21,000 CNY. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in China ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,700 CNY with 380 CNY and 2,800 CNY being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 850 CNY to 5,900 CNY on commuting with 3,500 CNY being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in China is 6,500 CNY. The cost of groceries can range between 1,600 CNY to 11,000 CNY. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in China allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 830 CNY to 5,800 CNY with 3,400 CNY being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 500 CNY to 3,500 CNY with 2,100 CNY being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 3,600 CNY per month with 930 CNY being the minimum spent amount and 6,100 CNY being the maximum.

©copound