Cost Of Living in Colombia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Colombia

Whether you're living in Colombia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,800,000 COP
average per month
940,000 COP
Range
8,000,000 COP

Couple
7,100,000 COP
average per month
1,400,000 COP
Range
11,000,000 COP

Family
11,000,000 COP
average per month
3,300,000 COP
Range
17,000,000 COP

Student
2,800,000 COP
average per month
470,000 COP
Range
6,100,000 COP
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Colombia is 3,800,000 COP. Expenses can range from 940,000 COP at the minimum level to 8,000,000 COP at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Colombia is 7,100,000 COP. Expenditure can range from 1,400,000 COP to 11,000,000 COP per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Colombia is 11,000,000 COP per month. Families spend anywhere from 3,300,000 COP to 17,000,000 COP.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Colombia is 2,800,000 COP. Students spend from 470,000 COP to 6,100,000 COP per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Colombia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

940 COP

940 COP
940 COP

Fast food
combo meal

9,400 COP

6,700 COP
16,000 COP

Restaurant
meal for one

31,000 COP

25,000 COP
39,000 COP

Fine dining
meal for one

78,000 COP

52,000 COP
94,000 COP

Soda
Soft Drink

780 COP

780 COP
780 COP

Cappuccino
or latte

6,300 COP

3,900 COP
9,400 COP

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

4,700 COP

3,900 COP
5,200 COP

Loaf of
bread

670 COP

590 COP
780 COP

12
eggs

4,700 COP

3,900 COP
5,900 COP

Fresh whole
chicken

11,000 COP

8,600 COP
13,000 COP

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

12,000 COP

10,000 COP
16,000 COP

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

6,700 COP

5,900 COP
7,800 COP

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

3,100 COP

2,600 COP
3,900 COP

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

3,400 COP

2,900 COP
3,600 COP

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

3,200 COP

2,900 COP
3,600 COP

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

4,700 COP

3,900 COP
9,400 COP

Average car
full tank

31,000 COP

24,000 COP
63,000 COP

Average car
1-day rental

31,000 COP

24,000 COP
47,000 COP

Average car
price

24,000,000 COP

12,000,000 COP
31,000,000 COP

Bus ticket
one way

1,200 COP

780 COP
2,400 COP

Car
Service

47,000 COP

31,000 COP
94,000 COP

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

230,000 COP

56,000 COP
480,000 COP

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

280,000 COP

71,000 COP
560,000 COP

Electricity
and water bill
Family

450,000 COP

99,000 COP
510,000 COP

Internet
and cable

47,000 COP

24,000 COP
63,000 COP

Mobile phone
charges

31,000 COP

19,000 COP
94,000 COP

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

16,000 COP

12,000 COP
24,000 COP

One month gym
membership

47,000 COP

38,000 COP
94,000 COP

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

39,000 COP

28,000 COP
59,000 COP

Woman
dress

36,000 COP

26,000 COP
120,000 COP

Woman
shoes

34,000 COP

25,000 COP
78,000 COP

Men
shoes

26,000 COP

21,000 COP
52,000 COP

Men
suit

29,000 COP

24,000 COP
160,000 COP

Regular
t-shirt

16,000 COP

12,000 COP
47,000 COP

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

590,000 COP

390,000 COP
1,600,000 COP

1-bedroom
apartment

940,000 COP

590,000 COP
2,400,000 COP

2-bedroom
apartment

1,200,000 COP

780,000 COP
3,100,000 COP

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

120,000,000 COP

78,000,000 COP
240,000,000 COP

1-bedroom
apartment

160,000,000 COP

94,000,000 COP
590,000,000 COP

2-bedroom
apartment

470,000,000 COP

160,000,000 COP
940,000,000 COP

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

590,000 COP

470,000 COP
780,000 COP

Double
Bed

470,000 COP

310,000 COP
590,000 COP

Single
Bed

360,000 COP

280,000 COP
470,000 COP

Living
Room

670,000 COP

520,000 COP
2,400,000 COP

Dining
Table

310,000 COP

240,000 COP
590,000 COP

Sofa
or Couch

430,000 COP

310,000 COP
940,000 COP

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

470,000 COP

310,000 COP
940,000 COP

Fridge
or Freezer

430,000 COP

280,000 COP
590,000 COP

Washing
Machine

520,000 COP

360,000 COP
940,000 COP

Stove
or Cooker

430,000 COP

340,000 COP
590,000 COP

Mobile
Phone

470,000 COP

390,000 COP
670,000 COP

Laptop
or Computer

520,000 COP

430,000 COP
940,000 COP

How do people spend their money in Colombia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Colombia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW340,000 COP
AVERAGE1,400,000 COP
HIGH2,900,000 COP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW56,000 COP
AVERAGE230,000 COP
HIGH480,000 COP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW75,000 COP
AVERAGE300,000 COP
HIGH640,000 COP
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW150,000 COP
AVERAGE600,000 COP
HIGH1,300,000 COP
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW85,000 COP
AVERAGE340,000 COP
HIGH720,000 COP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW47,000 COP
AVERAGE190,000 COP
HIGH400,000 COP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW19,000 COP
AVERAGE75,000 COP
HIGH160,000 COP
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW170,000 COP
AVERAGE680,000 COP
HIGH1,400,000 COP
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Colombia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW470,000 COP
AVERAGE2,300,000 COP
HIGH3,700,000 COP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW71,000 COP
AVERAGE280,000 COP
HIGH560,000 COP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW170,000 COP
AVERAGE850,000 COP
HIGH1,400,000 COP
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW200,000 COP
AVERAGE990,000 COP
HIGH1,600,000 COP
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW160,000 COP
AVERAGE780,000 COP
HIGH1,200,000 COP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW85,000 COP
AVERAGE420,000 COP
HIGH680,000 COP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW28,000 COP
AVERAGE140,000 COP
HIGH230,000 COP
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW240,000 COP
AVERAGE1,200,000 COP
HIGH1,900,000 COP
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Colombia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,100,000 COP
AVERAGE3,600,000 COP
HIGH5,400,000 COP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW99,000 COP
AVERAGE450,000 COP
HIGH510,000 COP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW260,000 COP
AVERAGE900,000 COP
HIGH1,400,000 COP
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW590,000 COP
AVERAGE2,000,000 COP
HIGH3,100,000 COP
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW260,000 COP
AVERAGE900,000 COP
HIGH1,400,000 COP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW160,000 COP
AVERAGE560,000 COP
HIGH850,000 COP
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW460,000 COP
AVERAGE1,600,000 COP
HIGH2,400,000 COP
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW400,000 COP
AVERAGE1,400,000 COP
HIGH2,000,000 COP
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Colombia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW110,000 COP
AVERAGE680,000 COP
HIGH1,500,000 COP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW19,000 COP
AVERAGE110,000 COP
HIGH240,000 COP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW33,000 COP
AVERAGE200,000 COP
HIGH430,000 COP
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW94,000 COP
AVERAGE560,000 COP
HIGH1,200,000 COP
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW28,000 COP
AVERAGE170,000 COP
HIGH370,000 COP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW24,000 COP
AVERAGE140,000 COP
HIGH310,000 COP
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW89,000 COP
AVERAGE540,000 COP
HIGH1,200,000 COP
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW71,000 COP
AVERAGE420,000 COP
HIGH920,000 COP
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Colombia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,000,000 COP with expenditure ranging from 490,000 COP and 3,400,000 COP. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Colombia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 270,000 COP with 61,000 COP and 450,000 COP being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 140,000 COP to 950,000 COP on commuting with 560,000 COP being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Colombia is 1,000,000 COP. The cost of groceries can range between 260,000 COP to 1,800,000 COP. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Colombia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 130,000 COP to 920,000 COP with 550,000 COP being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 80,000 COP to 560,000 COP with 330,000 COP being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 580,000 COP per month with 150,000 COP being the minimum spent amount and 980,000 COP being the maximum.

©copound