Cost Of Living in Congo

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Congo

Whether you're living in Congo or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
600,000 XAF
average per month
150,000 XAF
Range
1,300,000 XAF

Couple
1,100,000 XAF
average per month
220,000 XAF
Range
1,800,000 XAF

Family
1,800,000 XAF
average per month
520,000 XAF
Range
2,700,000 XAF

Student
450,000 XAF
average per month
75,000 XAF
Range
970,000 XAF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Congo is 600,000 XAF. Expenses can range from 150,000 XAF at the minimum level to 1,300,000 XAF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Congo is 1,100,000 XAF. Expenditure can range from 220,000 XAF to 1,800,000 XAF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Congo is 1,800,000 XAF per month. Families spend anywhere from 520,000 XAF to 2,700,000 XAF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Congo is 450,000 XAF. Students spend from 75,000 XAF to 970,000 XAF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Congo

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

150 XAF

150 XAF
150 XAF

Fast food
combo meal

1,500 XAF

1,100 XAF
2,500 XAF

Restaurant
meal for one

5,000 XAF

3,900 XAF
6,200 XAF

Fine dining
meal for one

12,000 XAF

8,300 XAF
15,000 XAF

Soda
Soft Drink

120 XAF

120 XAF
120 XAF

Cappuccino
or latte

1,000 XAF

620 XAF
1,500 XAF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

750 XAF

620 XAF
830 XAF

Loaf of
bread

110 XAF

93 XAF
120 XAF

12
eggs

750 XAF

620 XAF
930 XAF

Fresh whole
chicken

1,700 XAF

1,400 XAF
2,100 XAF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

2,000 XAF

1,700 XAF
2,500 XAF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

1,100 XAF

930 XAF
1,200 XAF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

500 XAF

420 XAF
620 XAF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

530 XAF

470 XAF
580 XAF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

520 XAF

450 XAF
580 XAF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

750 XAF

620 XAF
1,500 XAF

Average car
full tank

5,000 XAF

3,700 XAF
10,000 XAF

Average car
1-day rental

5,000 XAF

3,700 XAF
7,500 XAF

Average car
price

3,700,000 XAF

1,900,000 XAF
5,000,000 XAF

Bus ticket
one way

190 XAF

120 XAF
370 XAF

Car
Service

7,500 XAF

5,000 XAF
15,000 XAF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

36,000 XAF

9,000 XAF
76,000 XAF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

45,000 XAF

11,000 XAF
90,000 XAF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

72,000 XAF

16,000 XAF
81,000 XAF

Internet
and cable

7,500 XAF

3,700 XAF
10,000 XAF

Mobile phone
charges

5,000 XAF

3,000 XAF
15,000 XAF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

2,500 XAF

1,900 XAF
3,700 XAF

One month gym
membership

7,500 XAF

6,000 XAF
15,000 XAF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

6,200 XAF

4,400 XAF
9,300 XAF

Woman
dress

5,800 XAF

4,200 XAF
19,000 XAF

Woman
shoes

5,300 XAF

3,900 XAF
12,000 XAF

Men
shoes

4,200 XAF

3,400 XAF
8,300 XAF

Men
suit

4,700 XAF

3,700 XAF
25,000 XAF

Regular
t-shirt

2,500 XAF

1,900 XAF
7,500 XAF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

93,000 XAF

62,000 XAF
250,000 XAF

1-bedroom
apartment

150,000 XAF

93,000 XAF
370,000 XAF

2-bedroom
apartment

190,000 XAF

120,000 XAF
500,000 XAF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

19,000,000 XAF

12,000,000 XAF
37,000,000 XAF

1-bedroom
apartment

25,000,000 XAF

15,000,000 XAF
93,000,000 XAF

2-bedroom
apartment

75,000,000 XAF

25,000,000 XAF
150,000,000 XAF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

93,000 XAF

75,000 XAF
120,000 XAF

Double
Bed

75,000 XAF

50,000 XAF
93,000 XAF

Single
Bed

58,000 XAF

44,000 XAF
75,000 XAF

Living
Room

110,000 XAF

83,000 XAF
370,000 XAF

Dining
Table

50,000 XAF

37,000 XAF
93,000 XAF

Sofa
or Couch

68,000 XAF

50,000 XAF
150,000 XAF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

75,000 XAF

50,000 XAF
150,000 XAF

Fridge
or Freezer

68,000 XAF

44,000 XAF
93,000 XAF

Washing
Machine

83,000 XAF

58,000 XAF
150,000 XAF

Stove
or Cooker

68,000 XAF

53,000 XAF
93,000 XAF

Mobile
Phone

75,000 XAF

62,000 XAF
110,000 XAF

Laptop
or Computer

83,000 XAF

68,000 XAF
150,000 XAF

How do people spend their money in Congo?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Congo

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW54,000 XAF
AVERAGE220,000 XAF
HIGH460,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW9,000 XAF
AVERAGE36,000 XAF
HIGH76,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW12,000 XAF
AVERAGE48,000 XAF
HIGH100,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW24,000 XAF
AVERAGE96,000 XAF
HIGH200,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW13,000 XAF
AVERAGE54,000 XAF
HIGH110,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW7,500 XAF
AVERAGE30,000 XAF
HIGH64,000 XAF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW3,000 XAF
AVERAGE12,000 XAF
HIGH25,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW27,000 XAF
AVERAGE110,000 XAF
HIGH230,000 XAF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Congo

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW74,000 XAF
AVERAGE370,000 XAF
HIGH590,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW11,000 XAF
AVERAGE45,000 XAF
HIGH90,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW27,000 XAF
AVERAGE130,000 XAF
HIGH220,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW31,000 XAF
AVERAGE160,000 XAF
HIGH250,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW25,000 XAF
AVERAGE120,000 XAF
HIGH200,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW13,000 XAF
AVERAGE67,000 XAF
HIGH110,000 XAF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW4,500 XAF
AVERAGE22,000 XAF
HIGH36,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW38,000 XAF
AVERAGE190,000 XAF
HIGH310,000 XAF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Congo

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW170,000 XAF
AVERAGE570,000 XAF
HIGH860,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW16,000 XAF
AVERAGE72,000 XAF
HIGH81,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW42,000 XAF
AVERAGE140,000 XAF
HIGH220,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW94,000 XAF
AVERAGE320,000 XAF
HIGH480,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW42,000 XAF
AVERAGE140,000 XAF
HIGH220,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW26,000 XAF
AVERAGE90,000 XAF
HIGH130,000 XAF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW73,000 XAF
AVERAGE250,000 XAF
HIGH380,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW63,000 XAF
AVERAGE220,000 XAF
HIGH320,000 XAF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Congo

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW18,000 XAF
AVERAGE110,000 XAF
HIGH230,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW3,000 XAF
AVERAGE18,000 XAF
HIGH39,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW5,200 XAF
AVERAGE31,000 XAF
HIGH68,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW15,000 XAF
AVERAGE90,000 XAF
HIGH190,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW4,500 XAF
AVERAGE27,000 XAF
HIGH58,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,700 XAF
AVERAGE22,000 XAF
HIGH49,000 XAF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW14,000 XAF
AVERAGE85,000 XAF
HIGH180,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW11,000 XAF
AVERAGE67,000 XAF
HIGH150,000 XAF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Congo typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 320,000 XAF with expenditure ranging from 78,000 XAF and 540,000 XAF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Congo ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 43,000 XAF with 9,700 XAF and 71,000 XAF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 21,000 XAF to 150,000 XAF on commuting with 89,000 XAF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Congo is 170,000 XAF. The cost of groceries can range between 41,000 XAF to 280,000 XAF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Congo allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 21,000 XAF to 150,000 XAF with 87,000 XAF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 13,000 XAF to 89,000 XAF with 52,000 XAF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 93,000 XAF per month with 24,000 XAF being the minimum spent amount and 160,000 XAF being the maximum.

©copound