Cost Of Living in Congo Democratic Republic

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Congo Democratic Republic

Whether you're living in Congo Democratic Republic or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
380,000 CDF
average per month
95,000 CDF
Range
810,000 CDF

Couple
710,000 CDF
average per month
140,000 CDF
Range
1,100,000 CDF

Family
1,100,000 CDF
average per month
330,000 CDF
Range
1,700,000 CDF

Student
290,000 CDF
average per month
48,000 CDF
Range
620,000 CDF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Congo Democratic Republic is 380,000 CDF. Expenses can range from 95,000 CDF at the minimum level to 810,000 CDF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Congo Democratic Republic is 710,000 CDF. Expenditure can range from 140,000 CDF to 1,100,000 CDF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Congo Democratic Republic is 1,100,000 CDF per month. Families spend anywhere from 330,000 CDF to 1,700,000 CDF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Congo Democratic Republic is 290,000 CDF. Students spend from 48,000 CDF to 620,000 CDF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Congo Democratic Republic

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

95 CDF

95 CDF
95 CDF

Fast food
combo meal

950 CDF

680 CDF
1,600 CDF

Restaurant
meal for one

3,200 CDF

2,500 CDF
4,000 CDF

Fine dining
meal for one

7,900 CDF

5,300 CDF
9,500 CDF

Soda
Soft Drink

79 CDF

79 CDF
79 CDF

Cappuccino
or latte

630 CDF

400 CDF
950 CDF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

480 CDF

400 CDF
530 CDF

Loaf of
bread

68 CDF

60 CDF
79 CDF

12
eggs

480 CDF

400 CDF
600 CDF

Fresh whole
chicken

1,100 CDF

870 CDF
1,400 CDF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

1,300 CDF

1,100 CDF
1,600 CDF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

680 CDF

600 CDF
790 CDF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

320 CDF

260 CDF
400 CDF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

340 CDF

300 CDF
370 CDF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

330 CDF

290 CDF
370 CDF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

480 CDF

400 CDF
950 CDF

Average car
full tank

3,200 CDF

2,400 CDF
6,300 CDF

Average car
1-day rental

3,200 CDF

2,400 CDF
4,800 CDF

Average car
price

2,400,000 CDF

1,200,000 CDF
3,200,000 CDF

Bus ticket
one way

120 CDF

79 CDF
240 CDF

Car
Service

4,800 CDF

3,200 CDF
9,500 CDF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

23,000 CDF

5,700 CDF
49,000 CDF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

29,000 CDF

7,100 CDF
57,000 CDF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

46,000 CDF

10,000 CDF
51,000 CDF

Internet
and cable

4,800 CDF

2,400 CDF
6,300 CDF

Mobile phone
charges

3,200 CDF

1,900 CDF
9,500 CDF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

1,600 CDF

1,200 CDF
2,400 CDF

One month gym
membership

4,800 CDF

3,800 CDF
9,500 CDF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

4,000 CDF

2,800 CDF
6,000 CDF

Woman
dress

3,700 CDF

2,600 CDF
12,000 CDF

Woman
shoes

3,400 CDF

2,500 CDF
7,900 CDF

Men
shoes

2,600 CDF

2,200 CDF
5,300 CDF

Men
suit

3,000 CDF

2,400 CDF
16,000 CDF

Regular
t-shirt

1,600 CDF

1,200 CDF
4,800 CDF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

60,000 CDF

40,000 CDF
160,000 CDF

1-bedroom
apartment

95,000 CDF

60,000 CDF
240,000 CDF

2-bedroom
apartment

120,000 CDF

79,000 CDF
320,000 CDF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

12,000,000 CDF

7,900,000 CDF
24,000,000 CDF

1-bedroom
apartment

16,000,000 CDF

9,500,000 CDF
60,000,000 CDF

2-bedroom
apartment

48,000,000 CDF

16,000,000 CDF
95,000,000 CDF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

60,000 CDF

48,000 CDF
79,000 CDF

Double
Bed

48,000 CDF

32,000 CDF
60,000 CDF

Single
Bed

37,000 CDF

28,000 CDF
48,000 CDF

Living
Room

68,000 CDF

53,000 CDF
240,000 CDF

Dining
Table

32,000 CDF

24,000 CDF
60,000 CDF

Sofa
or Couch

43,000 CDF

32,000 CDF
95,000 CDF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

48,000 CDF

32,000 CDF
95,000 CDF

Fridge
or Freezer

43,000 CDF

28,000 CDF
60,000 CDF

Washing
Machine

53,000 CDF

37,000 CDF
95,000 CDF

Stove
or Cooker

43,000 CDF

34,000 CDF
60,000 CDF

Mobile
Phone

48,000 CDF

40,000 CDF
68,000 CDF

Laptop
or Computer

53,000 CDF

43,000 CDF
95,000 CDF

How do people spend their money in Congo Democratic Republic?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Congo Democratic Republic

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW34,000 CDF
AVERAGE140,000 CDF
HIGH290,000 CDF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW5,700 CDF
AVERAGE23,000 CDF
HIGH49,000 CDF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW7,600 CDF
AVERAGE30,000 CDF
HIGH65,000 CDF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW15,000 CDF
AVERAGE61,000 CDF
HIGH130,000 CDF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW8,600 CDF
AVERAGE34,000 CDF
HIGH73,000 CDF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW4,800 CDF
AVERAGE19,000 CDF
HIGH40,000 CDF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,900 CDF
AVERAGE7,600 CDF
HIGH16,000 CDF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW17,000 CDF
AVERAGE69,000 CDF
HIGH150,000 CDF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Congo Democratic Republic

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW47,000 CDF
AVERAGE240,000 CDF
HIGH380,000 CDF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW7,100 CDF
AVERAGE29,000 CDF
HIGH57,000 CDF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW17,000 CDF
AVERAGE86,000 CDF
HIGH140,000 CDF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW20,000 CDF
AVERAGE100,000 CDF
HIGH160,000 CDF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW16,000 CDF
AVERAGE79,000 CDF
HIGH130,000 CDF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW8,600 CDF
AVERAGE43,000 CDF
HIGH69,000 CDF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,900 CDF
AVERAGE14,000 CDF
HIGH23,000 CDF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW24,000 CDF
AVERAGE120,000 CDF
HIGH190,000 CDF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Congo Democratic Republic

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW110,000 CDF
AVERAGE370,000 CDF
HIGH550,000 CDF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW10,000 CDF
AVERAGE46,000 CDF
HIGH51,000 CDF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW27,000 CDF
AVERAGE91,000 CDF
HIGH140,000 CDF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW60,000 CDF
AVERAGE210,000 CDF
HIGH310,000 CDF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW27,000 CDF
AVERAGE91,000 CDF
HIGH140,000 CDF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW17,000 CDF
AVERAGE57,000 CDF
HIGH86,000 CDF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW47,000 CDF
AVERAGE160,000 CDF
HIGH240,000 CDF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW40,000 CDF
AVERAGE140,000 CDF
HIGH210,000 CDF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Congo Democratic Republic

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW11,000 CDF
AVERAGE69,000 CDF
HIGH150,000 CDF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW1,900 CDF
AVERAGE11,000 CDF
HIGH25,000 CDF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW3,300 CDF
AVERAGE20,000 CDF
HIGH43,000 CDF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW9,500 CDF
AVERAGE57,000 CDF
HIGH120,000 CDF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW2,900 CDF
AVERAGE17,000 CDF
HIGH37,000 CDF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,400 CDF
AVERAGE14,000 CDF
HIGH31,000 CDF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW9,000 CDF
AVERAGE54,000 CDF
HIGH120,000 CDF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW7,100 CDF
AVERAGE43,000 CDF
HIGH93,000 CDF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Congo Democratic Republic typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 200,000 CDF with expenditure ranging from 50,000 CDF and 340,000 CDF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Congo Democratic Republic ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 27,000 CDF with 6,200 CDF and 45,000 CDF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 14,000 CDF to 96,000 CDF on commuting with 57,000 CDF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Congo Democratic Republic is 110,000 CDF. The cost of groceries can range between 26,000 CDF to 180,000 CDF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Congo Democratic Republic allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 13,000 CDF to 93,000 CDF with 55,000 CDF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 8,100 CDF to 56,000 CDF with 33,000 CDF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 59,000 CDF per month with 15,000 CDF being the minimum spent amount and 99,000 CDF being the maximum.

©copound