Cost Of Living in Cook Islands

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Cook Islands

Whether you're living in Cook Islands or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,800 NZD
average per month
950 NZD
Range
8,000 NZD

Couple
7,100 NZD
average per month
1,400 NZD
Range
11,000 NZD

Family
11,000 NZD
average per month
3,300 NZD
Range
17,000 NZD

Student
2,800 NZD
average per month
470 NZD
Range
6,100 NZD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Cook Islands is 3,800 NZD. Expenses can range from 950 NZD at the minimum level to 8,000 NZD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Cook Islands is 7,100 NZD. Expenditure can range from 1,400 NZD to 11,000 NZD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Cook Islands is 11,000 NZD per month. Families spend anywhere from 3,300 NZD to 17,000 NZD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Cook Islands is 2,800 NZD. Students spend from 470 NZD to 6,100 NZD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Cook Islands

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.95 NZD

0.95 NZD
0.95 NZD

Fast food
combo meal

9.5 NZD

6.8 NZD
16 NZD

Restaurant
meal for one

32 NZD

25 NZD
39 NZD

Fine dining
meal for one

79 NZD

53 NZD
95 NZD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.79 NZD

0.79 NZD
0.79 NZD

Cappuccino
or latte

6.3 NZD

3.9 NZD
9.5 NZD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

4.7 NZD

3.9 NZD
5.3 NZD

Loaf of
bread

0.68 NZD

0.59 NZD
0.79 NZD

12
eggs

4.7 NZD

3.9 NZD
5.9 NZD

Fresh whole
chicken

11 NZD

8.6 NZD
14 NZD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

12 NZD

11 NZD
16 NZD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

6.8 NZD

5.9 NZD
7.9 NZD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

3.2 NZD

2.6 NZD
3.9 NZD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

3.4 NZD

3.0 NZD
3.6 NZD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

3.3 NZD

2.9 NZD
3.6 NZD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

4.7 NZD

3.9 NZD
9.5 NZD

Average car
full tank

32 NZD

24 NZD
63 NZD

Average car
1-day rental

32 NZD

24 NZD
47 NZD

Average car
price

24,000 NZD

12,000 NZD
32,000 NZD

Bus ticket
one way

1.2 NZD

0.79 NZD
2.4 NZD

Car
Service

47 NZD

32 NZD
95 NZD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

230 NZD

57 NZD
480 NZD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

280 NZD

71 NZD
570 NZD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

450 NZD

99 NZD
510 NZD

Internet
and cable

47 NZD

24 NZD
63 NZD

Mobile phone
charges

32 NZD

19 NZD
95 NZD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

16 NZD

12 NZD
24 NZD

One month gym
membership

47 NZD

38 NZD
95 NZD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

39 NZD

28 NZD
59 NZD

Woman
dress

36 NZD

26 NZD
120 NZD

Woman
shoes

34 NZD

25 NZD
79 NZD

Men
shoes

26 NZD

21 NZD
53 NZD

Men
suit

30 NZD

24 NZD
160 NZD

Regular
t-shirt

16 NZD

12 NZD
47 NZD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

590 NZD

390 NZD
1,600 NZD

1-bedroom
apartment

950 NZD

590 NZD
2,400 NZD

2-bedroom
apartment

1,200 NZD

790 NZD
3,200 NZD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

120,000 NZD

79,000 NZD
240,000 NZD

1-bedroom
apartment

160,000 NZD

95,000 NZD
590,000 NZD

2-bedroom
apartment

470,000 NZD

160,000 NZD
950,000 NZD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

590 NZD

470 NZD
790 NZD

Double
Bed

470 NZD

320 NZD
590 NZD

Single
Bed

360 NZD

280 NZD
470 NZD

Living
Room

680 NZD

530 NZD
2,400 NZD

Dining
Table

320 NZD

240 NZD
590 NZD

Sofa
or Couch

430 NZD

320 NZD
950 NZD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

470 NZD

320 NZD
950 NZD

Fridge
or Freezer

430 NZD

280 NZD
590 NZD

Washing
Machine

530 NZD

360 NZD
950 NZD

Stove
or Cooker

430 NZD

340 NZD
590 NZD

Mobile
Phone

470 NZD

390 NZD
680 NZD

Laptop
or Computer

530 NZD

430 NZD
950 NZD

How do people spend their money in Cook Islands?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Cook Islands

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW340 NZD
AVERAGE1,400 NZD
HIGH2,900 NZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW57 NZD
AVERAGE230 NZD
HIGH480 NZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW76 NZD
AVERAGE300 NZD
HIGH640 NZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW150 NZD
AVERAGE600 NZD
HIGH1,300 NZD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW85 NZD
AVERAGE340 NZD
HIGH720 NZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW47 NZD
AVERAGE190 NZD
HIGH400 NZD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW19 NZD
AVERAGE76 NZD
HIGH160 NZD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW170 NZD
AVERAGE680 NZD
HIGH1,400 NZD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Cook Islands

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW470 NZD
AVERAGE2,300 NZD
HIGH3,700 NZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW71 NZD
AVERAGE280 NZD
HIGH570 NZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW170 NZD
AVERAGE850 NZD
HIGH1,400 NZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW200 NZD
AVERAGE990 NZD
HIGH1,600 NZD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW160 NZD
AVERAGE780 NZD
HIGH1,200 NZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW85 NZD
AVERAGE430 NZD
HIGH680 NZD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW28 NZD
AVERAGE140 NZD
HIGH230 NZD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW240 NZD
AVERAGE1,200 NZD
HIGH1,900 NZD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Cook Islands

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,100 NZD
AVERAGE3,600 NZD
HIGH5,400 NZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW99 NZD
AVERAGE450 NZD
HIGH510 NZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW260 NZD
AVERAGE910 NZD
HIGH1,400 NZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW600 NZD
AVERAGE2,000 NZD
HIGH3,100 NZD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW260 NZD
AVERAGE910 NZD
HIGH1,400 NZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW170 NZD
AVERAGE570 NZD
HIGH850 NZD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW460 NZD
AVERAGE1,600 NZD
HIGH2,400 NZD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW400 NZD
AVERAGE1,400 NZD
HIGH2,000 NZD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Cook Islands

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW110 NZD
AVERAGE680 NZD
HIGH1,500 NZD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW19 NZD
AVERAGE110 NZD
HIGH250 NZD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW33 NZD
AVERAGE200 NZD
HIGH430 NZD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW95 NZD
AVERAGE570 NZD
HIGH1,200 NZD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW28 NZD
AVERAGE170 NZD
HIGH370 NZD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW24 NZD
AVERAGE140 NZD
HIGH310 NZD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW90 NZD
AVERAGE540 NZD
HIGH1,200 NZD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW71 NZD
AVERAGE430 NZD
HIGH920 NZD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Cook Islands typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,000 NZD with expenditure ranging from 500 NZD and 3,400 NZD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Cook Islands ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 270 NZD with 61 NZD and 450 NZD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 140 NZD to 950 NZD on commuting with 560 NZD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Cook Islands is 1,100 NZD. The cost of groceries can range between 260 NZD to 1,800 NZD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Cook Islands allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 130 NZD to 930 NZD with 550 NZD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 80 NZD to 560 NZD with 330 NZD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 590 NZD per month with 150 NZD being the minimum spent amount and 980 NZD being the maximum.

©copound