Cost Of Living in Croatia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Croatia

Whether you're living in Croatia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
12,000 HRK
average per month
3,000 HRK
Range
25,000 HRK

Couple
22,000 HRK
average per month
4,500 HRK
Range
36,000 HRK

Family
36,000 HRK
average per month
10,000 HRK
Range
54,000 HRK

Student
8,900 HRK
average per month
1,500 HRK
Range
19,000 HRK
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Croatia is 12,000 HRK. Expenses can range from 3,000 HRK at the minimum level to 25,000 HRK at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Croatia is 22,000 HRK. Expenditure can range from 4,500 HRK to 36,000 HRK per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Croatia is 36,000 HRK per month. Families spend anywhere from 10,000 HRK to 54,000 HRK.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Croatia is 8,900 HRK. Students spend from 1,500 HRK to 19,000 HRK per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Croatia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

3.0 HRK

3.0 HRK
3.0 HRK

Fast food
combo meal

30 HRK

21 HRK
50 HRK

Restaurant
meal for one

99 HRK

78 HRK
120 HRK

Fine dining
meal for one

250 HRK

170 HRK
300 HRK

Soda
Soft Drink

2.5 HRK

2.5 HRK
2.5 HRK

Cappuccino
or latte

20 HRK

12 HRK
30 HRK

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

15 HRK

12 HRK
17 HRK

Loaf of
bread

2.1 HRK

1.9 HRK
2.5 HRK

12
eggs

15 HRK

12 HRK
19 HRK

Fresh whole
chicken

35 HRK

27 HRK
43 HRK

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

39 HRK

33 HRK
50 HRK

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

21 HRK

19 HRK
25 HRK

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

9.9 HRK

8.3 HRK
12 HRK

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

11 HRK

9.3 HRK
11 HRK

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

10 HRK

9.0 HRK
11 HRK

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

15 HRK

12 HRK
30 HRK

Average car
full tank

99 HRK

75 HRK
200 HRK

Average car
1-day rental

99 HRK

75 HRK
150 HRK

Average car
price

74,000 HRK

37,000 HRK
99,000 HRK

Bus ticket
one way

3.7 HRK

2.5 HRK
7.5 HRK

Car
Service

150 HRK

99 HRK
300 HRK

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

720 HRK

180 HRK
1,500 HRK

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

890 HRK

220 HRK
1,800 HRK

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,400 HRK

310 HRK
1,600 HRK

Internet
and cable

150 HRK

75 HRK
200 HRK

Mobile phone
charges

99 HRK

60 HRK
300 HRK

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

50 HRK

37 HRK
75 HRK

One month gym
membership

150 HRK

120 HRK
300 HRK

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

120 HRK

88 HRK
190 HRK

Woman
dress

110 HRK

83 HRK
370 HRK

Woman
shoes

110 HRK

78 HRK
250 HRK

Men
shoes

83 HRK

68 HRK
170 HRK

Men
suit

93 HRK

75 HRK
500 HRK

Regular
t-shirt

50 HRK

37 HRK
150 HRK

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,900 HRK

1,200 HRK
5,000 HRK

1-bedroom
apartment

3,000 HRK

1,900 HRK
7,400 HRK

2-bedroom
apartment

3,700 HRK

2,500 HRK
9,900 HRK

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

370,000 HRK

250,000 HRK
740,000 HRK

1-bedroom
apartment

500,000 HRK

300,000 HRK
1,900,000 HRK

2-bedroom
apartment

1,500,000 HRK

500,000 HRK
3,000,000 HRK

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,900 HRK

1,500 HRK
2,500 HRK

Double
Bed

1,500 HRK

990 HRK
1,900 HRK

Single
Bed

1,100 HRK

880 HRK
1,500 HRK

Living
Room

2,100 HRK

1,700 HRK
7,400 HRK

Dining
Table

990 HRK

740 HRK
1,900 HRK

Sofa
or Couch

1,400 HRK

990 HRK
3,000 HRK

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,500 HRK

990 HRK
3,000 HRK

Fridge
or Freezer

1,400 HRK

880 HRK
1,900 HRK

Washing
Machine

1,700 HRK

1,100 HRK
3,000 HRK

Stove
or Cooker

1,400 HRK

1,100 HRK
1,900 HRK

Mobile
Phone

1,500 HRK

1,200 HRK
2,100 HRK

Laptop
or Computer

1,700 HRK

1,400 HRK
3,000 HRK

How do people spend their money in Croatia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Croatia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,100 HRK
AVERAGE4,300 HRK
HIGH9,100 HRK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW180 HRK
AVERAGE720 HRK
HIGH1,500 HRK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW240 HRK
AVERAGE950 HRK
HIGH2,000 HRK
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW480 HRK
AVERAGE1,900 HRK
HIGH4,100 HRK
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW270 HRK
AVERAGE1,100 HRK
HIGH2,300 HRK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW150 HRK
AVERAGE600 HRK
HIGH1,300 HRK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW60 HRK
AVERAGE240 HRK
HIGH510 HRK
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW540 HRK
AVERAGE2,100 HRK
HIGH4,600 HRK
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Croatia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,500 HRK
AVERAGE7,400 HRK
HIGH12,000 HRK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW220 HRK
AVERAGE890 HRK
HIGH1,800 HRK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW540 HRK
AVERAGE2,700 HRK
HIGH4,300 HRK
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW630 HRK
AVERAGE3,100 HRK
HIGH5,000 HRK
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW490 HRK
AVERAGE2,500 HRK
HIGH3,900 HRK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW270 HRK
AVERAGE1,300 HRK
HIGH2,100 HRK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW89 HRK
AVERAGE450 HRK
HIGH720 HRK
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW760 HRK
AVERAGE3,800 HRK
HIGH6,100 HRK
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Croatia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW3,300 HRK
AVERAGE11,000 HRK
HIGH17,000 HRK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW310 HRK
AVERAGE1,400 HRK
HIGH1,600 HRK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW830 HRK
AVERAGE2,900 HRK
HIGH4,300 HRK
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,900 HRK
AVERAGE6,400 HRK
HIGH9,700 HRK
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW830 HRK
AVERAGE2,900 HRK
HIGH4,300 HRK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW520 HRK
AVERAGE1,800 HRK
HIGH2,700 HRK
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,500 HRK
AVERAGE5,000 HRK
HIGH7,500 HRK
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,300 HRK
AVERAGE4,300 HRK
HIGH6,400 HRK
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Croatia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW360 HRK
AVERAGE2,100 HRK
HIGH4,600 HRK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW60 HRK
AVERAGE360 HRK
HIGH770 HRK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW100 HRK
AVERAGE630 HRK
HIGH1,400 HRK
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW300 HRK
AVERAGE1,800 HRK
HIGH3,900 HRK
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW89 HRK
AVERAGE540 HRK
HIGH1,200 HRK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW75 HRK
AVERAGE450 HRK
HIGH970 HRK
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW280 HRK
AVERAGE1,700 HRK
HIGH3,700 HRK
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW220 HRK
AVERAGE1,300 HRK
HIGH2,900 HRK
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Croatia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 6,300 HRK with expenditure ranging from 1,600 HRK and 11,000 HRK. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Croatia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 850 HRK with 190 HRK and 1,400 HRK being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 430 HRK to 3,000 HRK on commuting with 1,800 HRK being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Croatia is 3,300 HRK. The cost of groceries can range between 820 HRK to 5,600 HRK. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Croatia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 420 HRK to 2,900 HRK with 1,700 HRK being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 250 HRK to 1,800 HRK with 1,000 HRK being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,800 HRK per month with 470 HRK being the minimum spent amount and 3,100 HRK being the maximum.

Zagreb   Zadar  
©copound