Cost Of Living in Cuba

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Cuba

Whether you're living in Cuba or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
18,000 CUP
average per month
4,400 CUP
Range
37,000 CUP

Couple
33,000 CUP
average per month
6,600 CUP
Range
53,000 CUP

Family
53,000 CUP
average per month
15,000 CUP
Range
79,000 CUP

Student
13,000 CUP
average per month
2,200 CUP
Range
29,000 CUP
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Cuba is 18,000 CUP. Expenses can range from 4,400 CUP at the minimum level to 37,000 CUP at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Cuba is 33,000 CUP. Expenditure can range from 6,600 CUP to 53,000 CUP per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Cuba is 53,000 CUP per month. Families spend anywhere from 15,000 CUP to 79,000 CUP.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Cuba is 13,000 CUP. Students spend from 2,200 CUP to 29,000 CUP per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Cuba

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

4.4 CUP

4.4 CUP
4.4 CUP

Fast food
combo meal

44 CUP

31 CUP
73 CUP

Restaurant
meal for one

150 CUP

120 CUP
180 CUP

Fine dining
meal for one

370 CUP

240 CUP
440 CUP

Soda
Soft Drink

3.7 CUP

3.7 CUP
3.7 CUP

Cappuccino
or latte

29 CUP

18 CUP
44 CUP

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

22 CUP

18 CUP
24 CUP

Loaf of
bread

3.2 CUP

2.8 CUP
3.7 CUP

12
eggs

22 CUP

18 CUP
28 CUP

Fresh whole
chicken

51 CUP

40 CUP
63 CUP

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

58 CUP

49 CUP
73 CUP

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

31 CUP

28 CUP
37 CUP

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

15 CUP

12 CUP
18 CUP

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

16 CUP

14 CUP
17 CUP

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

15 CUP

13 CUP
17 CUP

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

22 CUP

18 CUP
44 CUP

Average car
full tank

150 CUP

110 CUP
290 CUP

Average car
1-day rental

150 CUP

110 CUP
220 CUP

Average car
price

110,000 CUP

55,000 CUP
150,000 CUP

Bus ticket
one way

5.5 CUP

3.7 CUP
11 CUP

Car
Service

220 CUP

150 CUP
440 CUP

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,100 CUP

260 CUP
2,200 CUP

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,300 CUP

330 CUP
2,600 CUP

Electricity
and water bill
Family

2,100 CUP

460 CUP
2,400 CUP

Internet
and cable

220 CUP

110 CUP
290 CUP

Mobile phone
charges

150 CUP

88 CUP
440 CUP

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

73 CUP

55 CUP
110 CUP

One month gym
membership

220 CUP

180 CUP
440 CUP

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

180 CUP

130 CUP
280 CUP

Woman
dress

170 CUP

120 CUP
550 CUP

Woman
shoes

160 CUP

120 CUP
370 CUP

Men
shoes

120 CUP

100 CUP
240 CUP

Men
suit

140 CUP

110 CUP
730 CUP

Regular
t-shirt

73 CUP

55 CUP
220 CUP

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

2,800 CUP

1,800 CUP
7,300 CUP

1-bedroom
apartment

4,400 CUP

2,800 CUP
11,000 CUP

2-bedroom
apartment

5,500 CUP

3,700 CUP
15,000 CUP

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

550,000 CUP

370,000 CUP
1,100,000 CUP

1-bedroom
apartment

730,000 CUP

440,000 CUP
2,800,000 CUP

2-bedroom
apartment

2,200,000 CUP

730,000 CUP
4,400,000 CUP

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

2,800 CUP

2,200 CUP
3,700 CUP

Double
Bed

2,200 CUP

1,500 CUP
2,800 CUP

Single
Bed

1,700 CUP

1,300 CUP
2,200 CUP

Living
Room

3,100 CUP

2,400 CUP
11,000 CUP

Dining
Table

1,500 CUP

1,100 CUP
2,800 CUP

Sofa
or Couch

2,000 CUP

1,500 CUP
4,400 CUP

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

2,200 CUP

1,500 CUP
4,400 CUP

Fridge
or Freezer

2,000 CUP

1,300 CUP
2,800 CUP

Washing
Machine

2,400 CUP

1,700 CUP
4,400 CUP

Stove
or Cooker

2,000 CUP

1,600 CUP
2,800 CUP

Mobile
Phone

2,200 CUP

1,800 CUP
3,100 CUP

Laptop
or Computer

2,400 CUP

2,000 CUP
4,400 CUP

How do people spend their money in Cuba?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Cuba

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,600 CUP
AVERAGE6,300 CUP
HIGH13,000 CUP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW260 CUP
AVERAGE1,100 CUP
HIGH2,200 CUP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW350 CUP
AVERAGE1,400 CUP
HIGH3,000 CUP
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW700 CUP
AVERAGE2,800 CUP
HIGH6,000 CUP
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW400 CUP
AVERAGE1,600 CUP
HIGH3,400 CUP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW220 CUP
AVERAGE880 CUP
HIGH1,900 CUP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW88 CUP
AVERAGE350 CUP
HIGH750 CUP
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW790 CUP
AVERAGE3,200 CUP
HIGH6,700 CUP
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Cuba

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW2,200 CUP
AVERAGE11,000 CUP
HIGH17,000 CUP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW330 CUP
AVERAGE1,300 CUP
HIGH2,600 CUP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW790 CUP
AVERAGE4,000 CUP
HIGH6,300 CUP
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW920 CUP
AVERAGE4,600 CUP
HIGH7,400 CUP
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW730 CUP
AVERAGE3,600 CUP
HIGH5,800 CUP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW400 CUP
AVERAGE2,000 CUP
HIGH3,200 CUP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW130 CUP
AVERAGE660 CUP
HIGH1,100 CUP
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,100 CUP
AVERAGE5,600 CUP
HIGH9,000 CUP
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Cuba

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW4,900 CUP
AVERAGE17,000 CUP
HIGH25,000 CUP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW460 CUP
AVERAGE2,100 CUP
HIGH2,400 CUP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,200 CUP
AVERAGE4,200 CUP
HIGH6,300 CUP
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW2,800 CUP
AVERAGE9,500 CUP
HIGH14,000 CUP
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,200 CUP
AVERAGE4,200 CUP
HIGH6,300 CUP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW770 CUP
AVERAGE2,600 CUP
HIGH4,000 CUP
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW2,200 CUP
AVERAGE7,400 CUP
HIGH11,000 CUP
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,800 CUP
AVERAGE6,300 CUP
HIGH9,500 CUP
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Cuba

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW530 CUP
AVERAGE3,200 CUP
HIGH6,900 CUP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW88 CUP
AVERAGE530 CUP
HIGH1,100 CUP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW150 CUP
AVERAGE920 CUP
HIGH2,000 CUP
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW440 CUP
AVERAGE2,600 CUP
HIGH5,700 CUP
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW130 CUP
AVERAGE790 CUP
HIGH1,700 CUP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW110 CUP
AVERAGE660 CUP
HIGH1,400 CUP
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW420 CUP
AVERAGE2,500 CUP
HIGH5,400 CUP
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW330 CUP
AVERAGE2,000 CUP
HIGH4,300 CUP
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Cuba typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 9,300 CUP with expenditure ranging from 2,300 CUP and 16,000 CUP. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Cuba ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,300 CUP with 290 CUP and 2,100 CUP being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 630 CUP to 4,400 CUP on commuting with 2,600 CUP being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Cuba is 4,900 CUP. The cost of groceries can range between 1,200 CUP to 8,300 CUP. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Cuba allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 620 CUP to 4,300 CUP with 2,600 CUP being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 370 CUP to 2,600 CUP with 1,500 CUP being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 2,700 CUP per month with 700 CUP being the minimum spent amount and 4,600 CUP being the maximum.

©copound