Cost Of Living in Cyprus

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Cyprus

Whether you're living in Cyprus or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,700 EUR
average per month
430 EUR
Range
3,700 EUR

Couple
3,300 EUR
average per month
650 EUR
Range
5,200 EUR

Family
5,200 EUR
average per month
1,500 EUR
Range
7,800 EUR

Student
1,300 EUR
average per month
220 EUR
Range
2,800 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Cyprus is 1,700 EUR. Expenses can range from 430 EUR at the minimum level to 3,700 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Cyprus is 3,300 EUR. Expenditure can range from 650 EUR to 5,200 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Cyprus is 5,200 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,500 EUR to 7,800 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Cyprus is 1,300 EUR. Students spend from 220 EUR to 2,800 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Cyprus

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.43 EUR

0.43 EUR
0.43 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

4.3 EUR

3.1 EUR
7.2 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

14 EUR

11 EUR
18 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

36 EUR

24 EUR
43 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.36 EUR

0.36 EUR
0.36 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

2.9 EUR

1.8 EUR
4.3 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2.2 EUR

1.8 EUR
2.4 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.31 EUR

0.27 EUR
0.36 EUR

12
eggs

2.2 EUR

1.8 EUR
2.7 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

5.1 EUR

4.0 EUR
6.2 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

5.7 EUR

4.8 EUR
7.2 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

3.1 EUR

2.7 EUR
3.6 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.5 EUR

1.2 EUR
1.8 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.6 EUR

1.4 EUR
1.7 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.5 EUR

1.3 EUR
1.7 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2.2 EUR

1.8 EUR
4.3 EUR

Average car
full tank

14 EUR

11 EUR
29 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

14 EUR

11 EUR
22 EUR

Average car
price

11,000 EUR

5,400 EUR
14,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

0.54 EUR

0.36 EUR
1.1 EUR

Car
Service

22 EUR

14 EUR
43 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

100 EUR

26 EUR
220 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

130 EUR

33 EUR
260 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

210 EUR

46 EUR
230 EUR

Internet
and cable

22 EUR

11 EUR
29 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

14 EUR

8.7 EUR
43 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

7.2 EUR

5.4 EUR
11 EUR

One month gym
membership

22 EUR

17 EUR
43 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

18 EUR

13 EUR
27 EUR

Woman
dress

17 EUR

12 EUR
54 EUR

Woman
shoes

16 EUR

11 EUR
36 EUR

Men
shoes

12 EUR

9.9 EUR
24 EUR

Men
suit

14 EUR

11 EUR
72 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

7.2 EUR

5.4 EUR
22 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

270 EUR

180 EUR
720 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

430 EUR

270 EUR
1,100 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

540 EUR

360 EUR
1,400 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

54,000 EUR

36,000 EUR
110,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

72,000 EUR

43,000 EUR
270,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

220,000 EUR

72,000 EUR
430,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

270 EUR

220 EUR
360 EUR

Double
Bed

220 EUR

140 EUR
270 EUR

Single
Bed

170 EUR

130 EUR
220 EUR

Living
Room

310 EUR

240 EUR
1,100 EUR

Dining
Table

140 EUR

110 EUR
270 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

200 EUR

140 EUR
430 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

220 EUR

140 EUR
430 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

200 EUR

130 EUR
270 EUR

Washing
Machine

240 EUR

170 EUR
430 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

200 EUR

160 EUR
270 EUR

Mobile
Phone

220 EUR

180 EUR
310 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

240 EUR

200 EUR
430 EUR

How do people spend their money in Cyprus?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Cyprus

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW160 EUR
AVERAGE630 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW26 EUR
AVERAGE100 EUR
HIGH220 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW35 EUR
AVERAGE140 EUR
HIGH300 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW69 EUR
AVERAGE280 EUR
HIGH590 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW39 EUR
AVERAGE160 EUR
HIGH330 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW22 EUR
AVERAGE87 EUR
HIGH180 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW8.7 EUR
AVERAGE35 EUR
HIGH74 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW78 EUR
AVERAGE310 EUR
HIGH660 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Cyprus

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW210 EUR
AVERAGE1,100 EUR
HIGH1,700 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW33 EUR
AVERAGE130 EUR
HIGH260 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW78 EUR
AVERAGE390 EUR
HIGH630 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW91 EUR
AVERAGE460 EUR
HIGH730 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW72 EUR
AVERAGE360 EUR
HIGH570 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW39 EUR
AVERAGE200 EUR
HIGH310 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW13 EUR
AVERAGE65 EUR
HIGH100 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE550 EUR
HIGH890 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Cyprus

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW490 EUR
AVERAGE1,700 EUR
HIGH2,500 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW46 EUR
AVERAGE210 EUR
HIGH230 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE420 EUR
HIGH630 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW270 EUR
AVERAGE940 EUR
HIGH1,400 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE420 EUR
HIGH630 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW76 EUR
AVERAGE260 EUR
HIGH390 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW210 EUR
AVERAGE730 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW180 EUR
AVERAGE630 EUR
HIGH940 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Cyprus

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW52 EUR
AVERAGE310 EUR
HIGH680 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW8.7 EUR
AVERAGE52 EUR
HIGH110 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW15 EUR
AVERAGE91 EUR
HIGH200 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW43 EUR
AVERAGE260 EUR
HIGH560 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW13 EUR
AVERAGE78 EUR
HIGH170 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW11 EUR
AVERAGE65 EUR
HIGH140 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW41 EUR
AVERAGE250 EUR
HIGH540 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW33 EUR
AVERAGE200 EUR
HIGH420 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Cyprus typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 920 EUR with expenditure ranging from 230 EUR and 1,600 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Cyprus ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 120 EUR with 28 EUR and 210 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 62 EUR to 440 EUR on commuting with 260 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Cyprus is 480 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 120 EUR to 820 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Cyprus allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 61 EUR to 420 EUR with 250 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 37 EUR to 260 EUR with 150 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 270 EUR per month with 69 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 450 EUR being the maximum.

©copound