Cost Of Living in Denmark

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Denmark

Whether you're living in Denmark or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
33,000 DKK
average per month
8,200 DKK
Range
69,000 DKK

Couple
61,000 DKK
average per month
12,000 DKK
Range
98,000 DKK

Family
98,000 DKK
average per month
29,000 DKK
Range
150,000 DKK

Student
24,000 DKK
average per month
4,100 DKK
Range
53,000 DKK
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Denmark is 33,000 DKK. Expenses can range from 8,200 DKK at the minimum level to 69,000 DKK at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Denmark is 61,000 DKK. Expenditure can range from 12,000 DKK to 98,000 DKK per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Denmark is 98,000 DKK per month. Families spend anywhere from 29,000 DKK to 150,000 DKK.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Denmark is 24,000 DKK. Students spend from 4,100 DKK to 53,000 DKK per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Denmark

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

8.2 DKK

8.2 DKK
8.2 DKK

Fast food
combo meal

82 DKK

58 DKK
140 DKK

Restaurant
meal for one

270 DKK

210 DKK
340 DKK

Fine dining
meal for one

680 DKK

450 DKK
820 DKK

Soda
Soft Drink

6.8 DKK

6.8 DKK
6.8 DKK

Cappuccino
or latte

54 DKK

34 DKK
82 DKK

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

41 DKK

34 DKK
45 DKK

Loaf of
bread

5.8 DKK

5.1 DKK
6.8 DKK

12
eggs

41 DKK

34 DKK
51 DKK

Fresh whole
chicken

95 DKK

74 DKK
120 DKK

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

110 DKK

91 DKK
140 DKK

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

58 DKK

51 DKK
68 DKK

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

27 DKK

23 DKK
34 DKK

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

29 DKK

26 DKK
31 DKK

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

28 DKK

25 DKK
31 DKK

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

41 DKK

34 DKK
82 DKK

Average car
full tank

270 DKK

200 DKK
540 DKK

Average car
1-day rental

270 DKK

200 DKK
410 DKK

Average car
price

200,000 DKK

100,000 DKK
270,000 DKK

Bus ticket
one way

10 DKK

6.8 DKK
20 DKK

Car
Service

410 DKK

270 DKK
820 DKK

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

2,000 DKK

490 DKK
4,200 DKK

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

2,400 DKK

610 DKK
4,900 DKK

Electricity
and water bill
Family

3,900 DKK

860 DKK
4,400 DKK

Internet
and cable

410 DKK

200 DKK
540 DKK

Mobile phone
charges

270 DKK

160 DKK
820 DKK

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

140 DKK

100 DKK
200 DKK

One month gym
membership

410 DKK

330 DKK
820 DKK

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

340 DKK

240 DKK
510 DKK

Woman
dress

310 DKK

230 DKK
1,000 DKK

Woman
shoes

290 DKK

210 DKK
680 DKK

Men
shoes

230 DKK

190 DKK
450 DKK

Men
suit

250 DKK

200 DKK
1,400 DKK

Regular
t-shirt

140 DKK

100 DKK
410 DKK

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

5,100 DKK

3,400 DKK
14,000 DKK

1-bedroom
apartment

8,200 DKK

5,100 DKK
20,000 DKK

2-bedroom
apartment

10,000 DKK

6,800 DKK
27,000 DKK

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

1,000,000 DKK

680,000 DKK
2,000,000 DKK

1-bedroom
apartment

1,400,000 DKK

820,000 DKK
5,100,000 DKK

2-bedroom
apartment

4,100,000 DKK

1,400,000 DKK
8,200,000 DKK

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

5,100 DKK

4,100 DKK
6,800 DKK

Double
Bed

4,100 DKK

2,700 DKK
5,100 DKK

Single
Bed

3,100 DKK

2,400 DKK
4,100 DKK

Living
Room

5,800 DKK

4,500 DKK
20,000 DKK

Dining
Table

2,700 DKK

2,000 DKK
5,100 DKK

Sofa
or Couch

3,700 DKK

2,700 DKK
8,200 DKK

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

4,100 DKK

2,700 DKK
8,200 DKK

Fridge
or Freezer

3,700 DKK

2,400 DKK
5,100 DKK

Washing
Machine

4,500 DKK

3,100 DKK
8,200 DKK

Stove
or Cooker

3,700 DKK

2,900 DKK
5,100 DKK

Mobile
Phone

4,100 DKK

3,400 DKK
5,800 DKK

Laptop
or Computer

4,500 DKK

3,700 DKK
8,200 DKK

How do people spend their money in Denmark?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Denmark

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW2,900 DKK
AVERAGE12,000 DKK
HIGH25,000 DKK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW490 DKK
AVERAGE2,000 DKK
HIGH4,200 DKK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW650 DKK
AVERAGE2,600 DKK
HIGH5,500 DKK
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,300 DKK
AVERAGE5,200 DKK
HIGH11,000 DKK
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW730 DKK
AVERAGE2,900 DKK
HIGH6,200 DKK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW410 DKK
AVERAGE1,600 DKK
HIGH3,500 DKK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW160 DKK
AVERAGE650 DKK
HIGH1,400 DKK
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,500 DKK
AVERAGE5,900 DKK
HIGH12,000 DKK
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Denmark

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW4,000 DKK
AVERAGE20,000 DKK
HIGH32,000 DKK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW610 DKK
AVERAGE2,400 DKK
HIGH4,900 DKK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,500 DKK
AVERAGE7,300 DKK
HIGH12,000 DKK
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,700 DKK
AVERAGE8,600 DKK
HIGH14,000 DKK
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,300 DKK
AVERAGE6,700 DKK
HIGH11,000 DKK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW730 DKK
AVERAGE3,700 DKK
HIGH5,900 DKK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW240 DKK
AVERAGE1,200 DKK
HIGH2,000 DKK
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW2,100 DKK
AVERAGE10,000 DKK
HIGH17,000 DKK
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Denmark

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW9,100 DKK
AVERAGE31,000 DKK
HIGH47,000 DKK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW860 DKK
AVERAGE3,900 DKK
HIGH4,400 DKK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW2,300 DKK
AVERAGE7,800 DKK
HIGH12,000 DKK
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW5,100 DKK
AVERAGE18,000 DKK
HIGH26,000 DKK
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW2,300 DKK
AVERAGE7,800 DKK
HIGH12,000 DKK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,400 DKK
AVERAGE4,900 DKK
HIGH7,300 DKK
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW4,000 DKK
AVERAGE14,000 DKK
HIGH21,000 DKK
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW3,400 DKK
AVERAGE12,000 DKK
HIGH18,000 DKK
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Denmark

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW980 DKK
AVERAGE5,900 DKK
HIGH13,000 DKK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW160 DKK
AVERAGE980 DKK
HIGH2,100 DKK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW290 DKK
AVERAGE1,700 DKK
HIGH3,700 DKK
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW820 DKK
AVERAGE4,900 DKK
HIGH11,000 DKK
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW240 DKK
AVERAGE1,500 DKK
HIGH3,200 DKK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW200 DKK
AVERAGE1,200 DKK
HIGH2,700 DKK
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW780 DKK
AVERAGE4,700 DKK
HIGH10,000 DKK
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW610 DKK
AVERAGE3,700 DKK
HIGH8,000 DKK
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Denmark typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 17,000 DKK with expenditure ranging from 4,300 DKK and 29,000 DKK. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Denmark ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 2,300 DKK with 530 DKK and 3,900 DKK being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 1,200 DKK to 8,200 DKK on commuting with 4,900 DKK being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Denmark is 9,100 DKK. The cost of groceries can range between 2,200 DKK to 15,000 DKK. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Denmark allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 1,200 DKK to 8,000 DKK with 4,700 DKK being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 690 DKK to 4,800 DKK with 2,900 DKK being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 5,100 DKK per month with 1,300 DKK being the minimum spent amount and 8,500 DKK being the maximum.

©copound