Cost Of Living in Djibouti

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Djibouti

Whether you're living in Djibouti or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
220,000 DJF
average per month
55,000 DJF
Range
470,000 DJF

Couple
410,000 DJF
average per month
83,000 DJF
Range
660,000 DJF

Family
660,000 DJF
average per month
190,000 DJF
Range
990,000 DJF

Student
170,000 DJF
average per month
28,000 DJF
Range
360,000 DJF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Djibouti is 220,000 DJF. Expenses can range from 55,000 DJF at the minimum level to 470,000 DJF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Djibouti is 410,000 DJF. Expenditure can range from 83,000 DJF to 660,000 DJF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Djibouti is 660,000 DJF per month. Families spend anywhere from 190,000 DJF to 990,000 DJF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Djibouti is 170,000 DJF. Students spend from 28,000 DJF to 360,000 DJF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Djibouti

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

55 DJF

55 DJF
55 DJF

Fast food
combo meal

550 DJF

390 DJF
920 DJF

Restaurant
meal for one

1,800 DJF

1,500 DJF
2,300 DJF

Fine dining
meal for one

4,600 DJF

3,100 DJF
5,500 DJF

Soda
Soft Drink

46 DJF

46 DJF
46 DJF

Cappuccino
or latte

370 DJF

230 DJF
550 DJF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

280 DJF

230 DJF
310 DJF

Loaf of
bread

39 DJF

35 DJF
46 DJF

12
eggs

280 DJF

230 DJF
350 DJF

Fresh whole
chicken

640 DJF

500 DJF
790 DJF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

730 DJF

610 DJF
920 DJF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

390 DJF

350 DJF
460 DJF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

180 DJF

150 DJF
230 DJF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

200 DJF

170 DJF
210 DJF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

190 DJF

170 DJF
210 DJF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

280 DJF

230 DJF
550 DJF

Average car
full tank

1,800 DJF

1,400 DJF
3,700 DJF

Average car
1-day rental

1,800 DJF

1,400 DJF
2,800 DJF

Average car
price

1,400,000 DJF

690,000 DJF
1,800,000 DJF

Bus ticket
one way

69 DJF

46 DJF
140 DJF

Car
Service

2,800 DJF

1,800 DJF
5,500 DJF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

13,000 DJF

3,300 DJF
28,000 DJF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

17,000 DJF

4,100 DJF
33,000 DJF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

27,000 DJF

5,800 DJF
30,000 DJF

Internet
and cable

2,800 DJF

1,400 DJF
3,700 DJF

Mobile phone
charges

1,800 DJF

1,100 DJF
5,500 DJF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

920 DJF

690 DJF
1,400 DJF

One month gym
membership

2,800 DJF

2,200 DJF
5,500 DJF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

2,300 DJF

1,600 DJF
3,500 DJF

Woman
dress

2,100 DJF

1,500 DJF
6,900 DJF

Woman
shoes

2,000 DJF

1,500 DJF
4,600 DJF

Men
shoes

1,500 DJF

1,300 DJF
3,100 DJF

Men
suit

1,700 DJF

1,400 DJF
9,200 DJF

Regular
t-shirt

920 DJF

690 DJF
2,800 DJF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

35,000 DJF

23,000 DJF
92,000 DJF

1-bedroom
apartment

55,000 DJF

35,000 DJF
140,000 DJF

2-bedroom
apartment

69,000 DJF

46,000 DJF
180,000 DJF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

6,900,000 DJF

4,600,000 DJF
14,000,000 DJF

1-bedroom
apartment

9,200,000 DJF

5,500,000 DJF
35,000,000 DJF

2-bedroom
apartment

28,000,000 DJF

9,200,000 DJF
55,000,000 DJF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

35,000 DJF

28,000 DJF
46,000 DJF

Double
Bed

28,000 DJF

18,000 DJF
35,000 DJF

Single
Bed

21,000 DJF

16,000 DJF
28,000 DJF

Living
Room

39,000 DJF

31,000 DJF
140,000 DJF

Dining
Table

18,000 DJF

14,000 DJF
35,000 DJF

Sofa
or Couch

25,000 DJF

18,000 DJF
55,000 DJF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

28,000 DJF

18,000 DJF
55,000 DJF

Fridge
or Freezer

25,000 DJF

16,000 DJF
35,000 DJF

Washing
Machine

31,000 DJF

21,000 DJF
55,000 DJF

Stove
or Cooker

25,000 DJF

20,000 DJF
35,000 DJF

Mobile
Phone

28,000 DJF

23,000 DJF
39,000 DJF

Laptop
or Computer

31,000 DJF

25,000 DJF
55,000 DJF

How do people spend their money in Djibouti?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Djibouti

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW20,000 DJF
AVERAGE80,000 DJF
HIGH170,000 DJF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,300 DJF
AVERAGE13,000 DJF
HIGH28,000 DJF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW4,400 DJF
AVERAGE18,000 DJF
HIGH38,000 DJF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW8,800 DJF
AVERAGE35,000 DJF
HIGH75,000 DJF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW5,000 DJF
AVERAGE20,000 DJF
HIGH42,000 DJF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,800 DJF
AVERAGE11,000 DJF
HIGH23,000 DJF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,100 DJF
AVERAGE4,400 DJF
HIGH9,400 DJF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW9,900 DJF
AVERAGE40,000 DJF
HIGH85,000 DJF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Djibouti

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW27,000 DJF
AVERAGE140,000 DJF
HIGH220,000 DJF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW4,100 DJF
AVERAGE17,000 DJF
HIGH33,000 DJF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW9,900 DJF
AVERAGE50,000 DJF
HIGH80,000 DJF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW12,000 DJF
AVERAGE58,000 DJF
HIGH93,000 DJF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW9,100 DJF
AVERAGE46,000 DJF
HIGH73,000 DJF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW5,000 DJF
AVERAGE25,000 DJF
HIGH40,000 DJF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,700 DJF
AVERAGE8,300 DJF
HIGH13,000 DJF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW14,000 DJF
AVERAGE70,000 DJF
HIGH110,000 DJF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Djibouti

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW62,000 DJF
AVERAGE210,000 DJF
HIGH320,000 DJF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW5,800 DJF
AVERAGE27,000 DJF
HIGH30,000 DJF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW15,000 DJF
AVERAGE53,000 DJF
HIGH80,000 DJF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW35,000 DJF
AVERAGE120,000 DJF
HIGH180,000 DJF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW15,000 DJF
AVERAGE53,000 DJF
HIGH80,000 DJF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW9,700 DJF
AVERAGE33,000 DJF
HIGH50,000 DJF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW27,000 DJF
AVERAGE93,000 DJF
HIGH140,000 DJF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW23,000 DJF
AVERAGE80,000 DJF
HIGH120,000 DJF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Djibouti

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW6,600 DJF
AVERAGE40,000 DJF
HIGH86,000 DJF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW1,100 DJF
AVERAGE6,600 DJF
HIGH14,000 DJF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW1,900 DJF
AVERAGE12,000 DJF
HIGH25,000 DJF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW5,500 DJF
AVERAGE33,000 DJF
HIGH72,000 DJF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW1,700 DJF
AVERAGE9,900 DJF
HIGH22,000 DJF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,400 DJF
AVERAGE8,300 DJF
HIGH18,000 DJF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW5,300 DJF
AVERAGE32,000 DJF
HIGH68,000 DJF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW4,100 DJF
AVERAGE25,000 DJF
HIGH54,000 DJF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Djibouti typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 120,000 DJF with expenditure ranging from 29,000 DJF and 200,000 DJF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Djibouti ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 16,000 DJF with 3,600 DJF and 26,000 DJF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 7,900 DJF to 55,000 DJF on commuting with 33,000 DJF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Djibouti is 61,000 DJF. The cost of groceries can range between 15,000 DJF to 100,000 DJF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Djibouti allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 7,800 DJF to 54,000 DJF with 32,000 DJF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 4,700 DJF to 33,000 DJF with 19,000 DJF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 34,000 DJF per month with 8,800 DJF being the minimum spent amount and 58,000 DJF being the maximum.

©copound