Cost Of Living in Dominica

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Dominica

Whether you're living in Dominica or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,200 XCD
average per month
300 XCD
Range
2,500 XCD

Couple
2,200 XCD
average per month
450 XCD
Range
3,600 XCD

Family
3,600 XCD
average per month
1,000 XCD
Range
5,400 XCD

Student
900 XCD
average per month
150 XCD
Range
1,900 XCD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Dominica is 1,200 XCD. Expenses can range from 300 XCD at the minimum level to 2,500 XCD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Dominica is 2,200 XCD. Expenditure can range from 450 XCD to 3,600 XCD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Dominica is 3,600 XCD per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,000 XCD to 5,400 XCD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Dominica is 900 XCD. Students spend from 150 XCD to 1,900 XCD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Dominica

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.30 XCD

0.30 XCD
0.30 XCD

Fast food
combo meal

3.0 XCD

2.1 XCD
5.0 XCD

Restaurant
meal for one

10.0 XCD

7.9 XCD
12 XCD

Fine dining
meal for one

25 XCD

17 XCD
30 XCD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.25 XCD

0.25 XCD
0.25 XCD

Cappuccino
or latte

2.0 XCD

1.3 XCD
3.0 XCD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1.5 XCD

1.3 XCD
1.7 XCD

Loaf of
bread

0.21 XCD

0.19 XCD
0.25 XCD

12
eggs

1.5 XCD

1.3 XCD
1.9 XCD

Fresh whole
chicken

3.5 XCD

2.7 XCD
4.3 XCD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

3.9 XCD

3.3 XCD
5.0 XCD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2.1 XCD

1.9 XCD
2.5 XCD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.0 XCD

0.83 XCD
1.3 XCD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.1 XCD

0.94 XCD
1.2 XCD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.0 XCD

0.91 XCD
1.2 XCD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1.5 XCD

1.3 XCD
3.0 XCD

Average car
full tank

10.0 XCD

7.5 XCD
20 XCD

Average car
1-day rental

10.0 XCD

7.5 XCD
15 XCD

Average car
price

7,500 XCD

3,700 XCD
10,000 XCD

Bus ticket
one way

0.37 XCD

0.25 XCD
0.75 XCD

Car
Service

15 XCD

10.0 XCD
30 XCD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

72 XCD

18 XCD
150 XCD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

90 XCD

22 XCD
180 XCD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

140 XCD

31 XCD
160 XCD

Internet
and cable

15 XCD

7.5 XCD
20 XCD

Mobile phone
charges

10.0 XCD

6.0 XCD
30 XCD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

5.0 XCD

3.8 XCD
7.5 XCD

One month gym
membership

15 XCD

12 XCD
30 XCD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

12 XCD

8.8 XCD
19 XCD

Woman
dress

12 XCD

8.3 XCD
37 XCD

Woman
shoes

11 XCD

7.9 XCD
25 XCD

Men
shoes

8.3 XCD

6.8 XCD
17 XCD

Men
suit

9.4 XCD

7.5 XCD
50 XCD

Regular
t-shirt

5.0 XCD

3.8 XCD
15 XCD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

190 XCD

120 XCD
500 XCD

1-bedroom
apartment

300 XCD

190 XCD
750 XCD

2-bedroom
apartment

370 XCD

250 XCD
1,000 XCD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

37,000 XCD

25,000 XCD
75,000 XCD

1-bedroom
apartment

50,000 XCD

30,000 XCD
190,000 XCD

2-bedroom
apartment

150,000 XCD

50,000 XCD
300,000 XCD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

190 XCD

150 XCD
250 XCD

Double
Bed

150 XCD

100 XCD
190 XCD

Single
Bed

120 XCD

88 XCD
150 XCD

Living
Room

210 XCD

170 XCD
750 XCD

Dining
Table

100 XCD

75 XCD
190 XCD

Sofa
or Couch

140 XCD

100 XCD
300 XCD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

150 XCD

100 XCD
300 XCD

Fridge
or Freezer

140 XCD

88 XCD
190 XCD

Washing
Machine

170 XCD

120 XCD
300 XCD

Stove
or Cooker

140 XCD

110 XCD
190 XCD

Mobile
Phone

150 XCD

120 XCD
210 XCD

Laptop
or Computer

170 XCD

140 XCD
300 XCD

How do people spend their money in Dominica?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Dominica

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW110 XCD
AVERAGE430 XCD
HIGH920 XCD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW18 XCD
AVERAGE72 XCD
HIGH150 XCD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW24 XCD
AVERAGE96 XCD
HIGH200 XCD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW48 XCD
AVERAGE190 XCD
HIGH410 XCD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW27 XCD
AVERAGE110 XCD
HIGH230 XCD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW15 XCD
AVERAGE60 XCD
HIGH130 XCD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW6.0 XCD
AVERAGE24 XCD
HIGH51 XCD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW54 XCD
AVERAGE220 XCD
HIGH460 XCD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Dominica

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW150 XCD
AVERAGE740 XCD
HIGH1,200 XCD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW22 XCD
AVERAGE90 XCD
HIGH180 XCD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW54 XCD
AVERAGE270 XCD
HIGH430 XCD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW63 XCD
AVERAGE310 XCD
HIGH500 XCD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW49 XCD
AVERAGE250 XCD
HIGH400 XCD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW27 XCD
AVERAGE130 XCD
HIGH220 XCD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW9.0 XCD
AVERAGE45 XCD
HIGH72 XCD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW76 XCD
AVERAGE380 XCD
HIGH610 XCD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Dominica

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW340 XCD
AVERAGE1,200 XCD
HIGH1,700 XCD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW31 XCD
AVERAGE140 XCD
HIGH160 XCD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW84 XCD
AVERAGE290 XCD
HIGH430 XCD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW190 XCD
AVERAGE650 XCD
HIGH970 XCD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW84 XCD
AVERAGE290 XCD
HIGH430 XCD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW52 XCD
AVERAGE180 XCD
HIGH270 XCD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW150 XCD
AVERAGE500 XCD
HIGH760 XCD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW130 XCD
AVERAGE430 XCD
HIGH650 XCD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Dominica

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW36 XCD
AVERAGE220 XCD
HIGH470 XCD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW6.0 XCD
AVERAGE36 XCD
HIGH78 XCD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW10 XCD
AVERAGE63 XCD
HIGH140 XCD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW30 XCD
AVERAGE180 XCD
HIGH390 XCD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW9.0 XCD
AVERAGE54 XCD
HIGH120 XCD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW7.5 XCD
AVERAGE45 XCD
HIGH97 XCD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW28 XCD
AVERAGE170 XCD
HIGH370 XCD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW22 XCD
AVERAGE130 XCD
HIGH290 XCD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Dominica typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 640 XCD with expenditure ranging from 160 XCD and 1,100 XCD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Dominica ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 85 XCD with 19 XCD and 140 XCD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 43 XCD to 300 XCD on commuting with 180 XCD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Dominica is 330 XCD. The cost of groceries can range between 82 XCD to 570 XCD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Dominica allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 42 XCD to 290 XCD with 170 XCD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 25 XCD to 180 XCD with 100 XCD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 190 XCD per month with 48 XCD being the minimum spent amount and 310 XCD being the maximum.

©copound