Cost Of Living in Dominican Republic

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Dominican Republic

Whether you're living in Dominican Republic or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
16,000 DOP
average per month
4,000 DOP
Range
34,000 DOP

Couple
30,000 DOP
average per month
6,000 DOP
Range
48,000 DOP

Family
48,000 DOP
average per month
14,000 DOP
Range
72,000 DOP

Student
12,000 DOP
average per month
2,000 DOP
Range
26,000 DOP
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Dominican Republic is 16,000 DOP. Expenses can range from 4,000 DOP at the minimum level to 34,000 DOP at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Dominican Republic is 30,000 DOP. Expenditure can range from 6,000 DOP to 48,000 DOP per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Dominican Republic is 48,000 DOP per month. Families spend anywhere from 14,000 DOP to 72,000 DOP.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Dominican Republic is 12,000 DOP. Students spend from 2,000 DOP to 26,000 DOP per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Dominican Republic

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

4.0 DOP

4.0 DOP
4.0 DOP

Fast food
combo meal

40 DOP

28 DOP
66 DOP

Restaurant
meal for one

130 DOP

100 DOP
170 DOP

Fine dining
meal for one

330 DOP

220 DOP
400 DOP

Soda
Soft Drink

3.3 DOP

3.3 DOP
3.3 DOP

Cappuccino
or latte

27 DOP

17 DOP
40 DOP

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

20 DOP

17 DOP
22 DOP

Loaf of
bread

2.9 DOP

2.5 DOP
3.3 DOP

12
eggs

20 DOP

17 DOP
25 DOP

Fresh whole
chicken

46 DOP

36 DOP
57 DOP

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

52 DOP

44 DOP
66 DOP

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

28 DOP

25 DOP
33 DOP

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

13 DOP

11 DOP
17 DOP

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

14 DOP

12 DOP
15 DOP

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

14 DOP

12 DOP
15 DOP

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

20 DOP

17 DOP
40 DOP

Average car
full tank

130 DOP

100 DOP
270 DOP

Average car
1-day rental

130 DOP

100 DOP
200 DOP

Average car
price

100,000 DOP

50,000 DOP
130,000 DOP

Bus ticket
one way

5.0 DOP

3.3 DOP
10.0 DOP

Car
Service

200 DOP

130 DOP
400 DOP

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

960 DOP

240 DOP
2,000 DOP

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,200 DOP

300 DOP
2,400 DOP

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,900 DOP

420 DOP
2,200 DOP

Internet
and cable

200 DOP

100 DOP
270 DOP

Mobile phone
charges

130 DOP

80 DOP
400 DOP

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

66 DOP

50 DOP
100 DOP

One month gym
membership

200 DOP

160 DOP
400 DOP

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

170 DOP

120 DOP
250 DOP

Woman
dress

150 DOP

110 DOP
500 DOP

Woman
shoes

140 DOP

100 DOP
330 DOP

Men
shoes

110 DOP

91 DOP
220 DOP

Men
suit

120 DOP

100 DOP
660 DOP

Regular
t-shirt

66 DOP

50 DOP
200 DOP

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

2,500 DOP

1,700 DOP
6,600 DOP

1-bedroom
apartment

4,000 DOP

2,500 DOP
10,000 DOP

2-bedroom
apartment

5,000 DOP

3,300 DOP
13,000 DOP

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

500,000 DOP

330,000 DOP
1,000,000 DOP

1-bedroom
apartment

660,000 DOP

400,000 DOP
2,500,000 DOP

2-bedroom
apartment

2,000,000 DOP

660,000 DOP
4,000,000 DOP

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

2,500 DOP

2,000 DOP
3,300 DOP

Double
Bed

2,000 DOP

1,300 DOP
2,500 DOP

Single
Bed

1,500 DOP

1,200 DOP
2,000 DOP

Living
Room

2,800 DOP

2,200 DOP
10,000 DOP

Dining
Table

1,300 DOP

1,000 DOP
2,500 DOP

Sofa
or Couch

1,800 DOP

1,300 DOP
4,000 DOP

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

2,000 DOP

1,300 DOP
4,000 DOP

Fridge
or Freezer

1,800 DOP

1,200 DOP
2,500 DOP

Washing
Machine

2,200 DOP

1,500 DOP
4,000 DOP

Stove
or Cooker

1,800 DOP

1,400 DOP
2,500 DOP

Mobile
Phone

2,000 DOP

1,700 DOP
2,800 DOP

Laptop
or Computer

2,200 DOP

1,800 DOP
4,000 DOP

How do people spend their money in Dominican Republic?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Dominican Republic

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,400 DOP
AVERAGE5,700 DOP
HIGH12,000 DOP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW240 DOP
AVERAGE960 DOP
HIGH2,000 DOP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW320 DOP
AVERAGE1,300 DOP
HIGH2,700 DOP
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW640 DOP
AVERAGE2,600 DOP
HIGH5,400 DOP
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW360 DOP
AVERAGE1,400 DOP
HIGH3,100 DOP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW200 DOP
AVERAGE800 DOP
HIGH1,700 DOP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW80 DOP
AVERAGE320 DOP
HIGH680 DOP
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW720 DOP
AVERAGE2,900 DOP
HIGH6,100 DOP
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Dominican Republic

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW2,000 DOP
AVERAGE9,900 DOP
HIGH16,000 DOP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW300 DOP
AVERAGE1,200 DOP
HIGH2,400 DOP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW720 DOP
AVERAGE3,600 DOP
HIGH5,700 DOP
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW840 DOP
AVERAGE4,200 DOP
HIGH6,700 DOP
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW660 DOP
AVERAGE3,300 DOP
HIGH5,300 DOP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW360 DOP
AVERAGE1,800 DOP
HIGH2,900 DOP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW120 DOP
AVERAGE600 DOP
HIGH960 DOP
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,000 DOP
AVERAGE5,100 DOP
HIGH8,100 DOP
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Dominican Republic

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW4,500 DOP
AVERAGE15,000 DOP
HIGH23,000 DOP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW420 DOP
AVERAGE1,900 DOP
HIGH2,200 DOP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,100 DOP
AVERAGE3,800 DOP
HIGH5,700 DOP
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW2,500 DOP
AVERAGE8,600 DOP
HIGH13,000 DOP
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,100 DOP
AVERAGE3,800 DOP
HIGH5,700 DOP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW700 DOP
AVERAGE2,400 DOP
HIGH3,600 DOP
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW2,000 DOP
AVERAGE6,700 DOP
HIGH10,000 DOP
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,700 DOP
AVERAGE5,700 DOP
HIGH8,600 DOP
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Dominican Republic

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW480 DOP
AVERAGE2,900 DOP
HIGH6,200 DOP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW80 DOP
AVERAGE480 DOP
HIGH1,000 DOP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW140 DOP
AVERAGE840 DOP
HIGH1,800 DOP
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW400 DOP
AVERAGE2,400 DOP
HIGH5,200 DOP
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW120 DOP
AVERAGE720 DOP
HIGH1,600 DOP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW100 DOP
AVERAGE600 DOP
HIGH1,300 DOP
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW380 DOP
AVERAGE2,300 DOP
HIGH4,900 DOP
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW300 DOP
AVERAGE1,800 DOP
HIGH3,900 DOP
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Dominican Republic typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 8,400 DOP with expenditure ranging from 2,100 DOP and 14,000 DOP. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Dominican Republic ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,100 DOP with 260 DOP and 1,900 DOP being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 570 DOP to 4,000 DOP on commuting with 2,400 DOP being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Dominican Republic is 4,400 DOP. The cost of groceries can range between 1,100 DOP to 7,600 DOP. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Dominican Republic allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 560 DOP to 3,900 DOP with 2,300 DOP being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 340 DOP to 2,400 DOP with 1,400 DOP being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 2,500 DOP per month with 630 DOP being the minimum spent amount and 4,200 DOP being the maximum.

©copound