Cost Of Living in East Timor

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in East Timor

Whether you're living in East Timor or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,800 USD
average per month
440 USD
Range
3,800 USD

Couple
3,300 USD
average per month
670 USD
Range
5,300 USD

Family
5,300 USD
average per month
1,600 USD
Range
8,000 USD

Student
1,300 USD
average per month
220 USD
Range
2,900 USD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in East Timor is 1,800 USD. Expenses can range from 440 USD at the minimum level to 3,800 USD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in East Timor is 3,300 USD. Expenditure can range from 670 USD to 5,300 USD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in East Timor is 5,300 USD per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,600 USD to 8,000 USD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in East Timor is 1,300 USD. Students spend from 220 USD to 2,900 USD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in East Timor

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.44 USD

0.44 USD
0.44 USD

Fast food
combo meal

4.4 USD

3.2 USD
7.4 USD

Restaurant
meal for one

15 USD

12 USD
18 USD

Fine dining
meal for one

37 USD

25 USD
44 USD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.37 USD

0.37 USD
0.37 USD

Cappuccino
or latte

3.0 USD

1.9 USD
4.4 USD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2.2 USD

1.9 USD
2.5 USD

Loaf of
bread

0.32 USD

0.28 USD
0.37 USD

12
eggs

2.2 USD

1.9 USD
2.8 USD

Fresh whole
chicken

5.2 USD

4.0 USD
6.3 USD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

5.8 USD

4.9 USD
7.4 USD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

3.2 USD

2.8 USD
3.7 USD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.5 USD

1.2 USD
1.9 USD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.6 USD

1.4 USD
1.7 USD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.5 USD

1.3 USD
1.7 USD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2.2 USD

1.9 USD
4.4 USD

Average car
full tank

15 USD

11 USD
30 USD

Average car
1-day rental

15 USD

11 USD
22 USD

Average car
price

11,000 USD

5,500 USD
15,000 USD

Bus ticket
one way

0.55 USD

0.37 USD
1.1 USD

Car
Service

22 USD

15 USD
44 USD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

110 USD

27 USD
230 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

130 USD

33 USD
270 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

210 USD

47 USD
240 USD

Internet
and cable

22 USD

11 USD
30 USD

Mobile phone
charges

15 USD

8.9 USD
44 USD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

7.4 USD

5.5 USD
11 USD

One month gym
membership

22 USD

18 USD
44 USD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

18 USD

13 USD
28 USD

Woman
dress

17 USD

12 USD
55 USD

Woman
shoes

16 USD

12 USD
37 USD

Men
shoes

12 USD

10 USD
25 USD

Men
suit

14 USD

11 USD
74 USD

Regular
t-shirt

7.4 USD

5.5 USD
22 USD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

280 USD

180 USD
740 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

440 USD

280 USD
1,100 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

550 USD

370 USD
1,500 USD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

55,000 USD

37,000 USD
110,000 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

74,000 USD

44,000 USD
280,000 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

220,000 USD

74,000 USD
440,000 USD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

280 USD

220 USD
370 USD

Double
Bed

220 USD

150 USD
280 USD

Single
Bed

170 USD

130 USD
220 USD

Living
Room

320 USD

250 USD
1,100 USD

Dining
Table

150 USD

110 USD
280 USD

Sofa
or Couch

200 USD

150 USD
440 USD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

220 USD

150 USD
440 USD

Fridge
or Freezer

200 USD

130 USD
280 USD

Washing
Machine

250 USD

170 USD
440 USD

Stove
or Cooker

200 USD

160 USD
280 USD

Mobile
Phone

220 USD

180 USD
320 USD

Laptop
or Computer

250 USD

200 USD
440 USD

How do people spend their money in East Timor?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in East Timor

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW160 USD
AVERAGE640 USD
HIGH1,400 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW27 USD
AVERAGE110 USD
HIGH230 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW35 USD
AVERAGE140 USD
HIGH300 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW71 USD
AVERAGE280 USD
HIGH600 USD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW40 USD
AVERAGE160 USD
HIGH340 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW22 USD
AVERAGE89 USD
HIGH190 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW8.9 USD
AVERAGE35 USD
HIGH75 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW80 USD
AVERAGE320 USD
HIGH680 USD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in East Timor

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW220 USD
AVERAGE1,100 USD
HIGH1,800 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW33 USD
AVERAGE130 USD
HIGH270 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW80 USD
AVERAGE400 USD
HIGH640 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW93 USD
AVERAGE470 USD
HIGH740 USD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW73 USD
AVERAGE370 USD
HIGH590 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW40 USD
AVERAGE200 USD
HIGH320 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW13 USD
AVERAGE67 USD
HIGH110 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW110 USD
AVERAGE570 USD
HIGH900 USD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in East Timor

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW500 USD
AVERAGE1,700 USD
HIGH2,600 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW47 USD
AVERAGE210 USD
HIGH240 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW120 USD
AVERAGE430 USD
HIGH640 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW280 USD
AVERAGE960 USD
HIGH1,400 USD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW120 USD
AVERAGE430 USD
HIGH640 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW78 USD
AVERAGE270 USD
HIGH400 USD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW220 USD
AVERAGE740 USD
HIGH1,100 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW190 USD
AVERAGE640 USD
HIGH960 USD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in East Timor

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW53 USD
AVERAGE320 USD
HIGH690 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW8.9 USD
AVERAGE53 USD
HIGH120 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW16 USD
AVERAGE93 USD
HIGH200 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW44 USD
AVERAGE270 USD
HIGH580 USD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW13 USD
AVERAGE80 USD
HIGH170 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW11 USD
AVERAGE67 USD
HIGH140 USD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW42 USD
AVERAGE250 USD
HIGH550 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW33 USD
AVERAGE200 USD
HIGH430 USD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in East Timor typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 940 USD with expenditure ranging from 230 USD and 1,600 USD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in East Timor ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 130 USD with 29 USD and 210 USD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 64 USD to 450 USD on commuting with 260 USD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in East Timor is 490 USD. The cost of groceries can range between 120 USD to 840 USD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in East Timor allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 63 USD to 430 USD with 260 USD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 38 USD to 260 USD with 160 USD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 270 USD per month with 70 USD being the minimum spent amount and 460 USD being the maximum.

©copound