Cost Of Living in Ecuador

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Ecuador

Whether you're living in Ecuador or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,100 USD
average per month
270 USD
Range
2,300 USD

Couple
2,100 USD
average per month
410 USD
Range
3,300 USD

Family
3,300 USD
average per month
960 USD
Range
4,900 USD

Student
820 USD
average per month
140 USD
Range
1,800 USD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Ecuador is 1,100 USD. Expenses can range from 270 USD at the minimum level to 2,300 USD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Ecuador is 2,100 USD. Expenditure can range from 410 USD to 3,300 USD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Ecuador is 3,300 USD per month. Families spend anywhere from 960 USD to 4,900 USD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Ecuador is 820 USD. Students spend from 140 USD to 1,800 USD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Ecuador

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.27 USD

0.27 USD
0.27 USD

Fast food
combo meal

2.7 USD

2.0 USD
4.6 USD

Restaurant
meal for one

9.1 USD

7.2 USD
11 USD

Fine dining
meal for one

23 USD

15 USD
27 USD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.23 USD

0.23 USD
0.23 USD

Cappuccino
or latte

1.8 USD

1.1 USD
2.7 USD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1.4 USD

1.1 USD
1.5 USD

Loaf of
bread

0.20 USD

0.17 USD
0.23 USD

12
eggs

1.4 USD

1.1 USD
1.7 USD

Fresh whole
chicken

3.2 USD

2.5 USD
3.9 USD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

3.6 USD

3.0 USD
4.6 USD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2.0 USD

1.7 USD
2.3 USD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

0.91 USD

0.76 USD
1.1 USD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

0.98 USD

0.85 USD
1.1 USD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

0.94 USD

0.83 USD
1.1 USD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1.4 USD

1.1 USD
2.7 USD

Average car
full tank

9.1 USD

6.8 USD
18 USD

Average car
1-day rental

9.1 USD

6.8 USD
14 USD

Average car
price

6,800 USD

3,400 USD
9,100 USD

Bus ticket
one way

0.34 USD

0.23 USD
0.68 USD

Car
Service

14 USD

9.1 USD
27 USD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

66 USD

16 USD
140 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

82 USD

21 USD
160 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

130 USD

29 USD
150 USD

Internet
and cable

14 USD

6.8 USD
18 USD

Mobile phone
charges

9.1 USD

5.5 USD
27 USD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

4.6 USD

3.4 USD
6.8 USD

One month gym
membership

14 USD

11 USD
27 USD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

11 USD

8.0 USD
17 USD

Woman
dress

11 USD

7.6 USD
34 USD

Woman
shoes

9.8 USD

7.2 USD
23 USD

Men
shoes

7.6 USD

6.2 USD
15 USD

Men
suit

8.5 USD

6.8 USD
46 USD

Regular
t-shirt

4.6 USD

3.4 USD
14 USD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

170 USD

110 USD
460 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

270 USD

170 USD
680 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

340 USD

230 USD
910 USD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

34,000 USD

23,000 USD
68,000 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

46,000 USD

27,000 USD
170,000 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

140,000 USD

46,000 USD
270,000 USD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

170 USD

140 USD
230 USD

Double
Bed

140 USD

91 USD
170 USD

Single
Bed

110 USD

80 USD
140 USD

Living
Room

200 USD

150 USD
680 USD

Dining
Table

91 USD

68 USD
170 USD

Sofa
or Couch

120 USD

91 USD
270 USD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

140 USD

91 USD
270 USD

Fridge
or Freezer

120 USD

80 USD
170 USD

Washing
Machine

150 USD

110 USD
270 USD

Stove
or Cooker

120 USD

98 USD
170 USD

Mobile
Phone

140 USD

110 USD
200 USD

Laptop
or Computer

150 USD

120 USD
270 USD

How do people spend their money in Ecuador?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Ecuador

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW98 USD
AVERAGE390 USD
HIGH840 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW16 USD
AVERAGE66 USD
HIGH140 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW22 USD
AVERAGE87 USD
HIGH190 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW44 USD
AVERAGE170 USD
HIGH370 USD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW25 USD
AVERAGE98 USD
HIGH210 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW14 USD
AVERAGE55 USD
HIGH120 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW5.5 USD
AVERAGE22 USD
HIGH46 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW49 USD
AVERAGE200 USD
HIGH420 USD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Ecuador

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW140 USD
AVERAGE680 USD
HIGH1,100 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW21 USD
AVERAGE82 USD
HIGH160 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW49 USD
AVERAGE250 USD
HIGH390 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW57 USD
AVERAGE290 USD
HIGH460 USD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW45 USD
AVERAGE230 USD
HIGH360 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW25 USD
AVERAGE120 USD
HIGH200 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW8.2 USD
AVERAGE41 USD
HIGH66 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW70 USD
AVERAGE350 USD
HIGH560 USD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Ecuador

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW310 USD
AVERAGE1,000 USD
HIGH1,600 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW29 USD
AVERAGE130 USD
HIGH150 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW77 USD
AVERAGE260 USD
HIGH390 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW170 USD
AVERAGE590 USD
HIGH890 USD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW77 USD
AVERAGE260 USD
HIGH390 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW48 USD
AVERAGE160 USD
HIGH250 USD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW130 USD
AVERAGE460 USD
HIGH690 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW110 USD
AVERAGE390 USD
HIGH590 USD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Ecuador

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW33 USD
AVERAGE200 USD
HIGH430 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW5.5 USD
AVERAGE33 USD
HIGH71 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW9.6 USD
AVERAGE57 USD
HIGH120 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW27 USD
AVERAGE160 USD
HIGH360 USD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW8.2 USD
AVERAGE49 USD
HIGH110 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW6.8 USD
AVERAGE41 USD
HIGH89 USD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW26 USD
AVERAGE160 USD
HIGH340 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW21 USD
AVERAGE120 USD
HIGH270 USD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Ecuador typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 580 USD with expenditure ranging from 140 USD and 980 USD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Ecuador ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 78 USD with 18 USD and 130 USD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 39 USD to 270 USD on commuting with 160 USD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Ecuador is 300 USD. The cost of groceries can range between 75 USD to 520 USD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Ecuador allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 39 USD to 270 USD with 160 USD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 23 USD to 160 USD with 96 USD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 170 USD per month with 43 USD being the minimum spent amount and 280 USD being the maximum.

©copound