Cost Of Living in Equatorial Guinea

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Equatorial Guinea

Whether you're living in Equatorial Guinea or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
380,000 XAF
average per month
96,000 XAF
Range
820,000 XAF

Couple
720,000 XAF
average per month
140,000 XAF
Range
1,200,000 XAF

Family
1,200,000 XAF
average per month
340,000 XAF
Range
1,700,000 XAF

Student
290,000 XAF
average per month
48,000 XAF
Range
620,000 XAF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Equatorial Guinea is 380,000 XAF. Expenses can range from 96,000 XAF at the minimum level to 820,000 XAF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Equatorial Guinea is 720,000 XAF. Expenditure can range from 140,000 XAF to 1,200,000 XAF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Equatorial Guinea is 1,200,000 XAF per month. Families spend anywhere from 340,000 XAF to 1,700,000 XAF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Equatorial Guinea is 290,000 XAF. Students spend from 48,000 XAF to 620,000 XAF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Equatorial Guinea

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

96 XAF

96 XAF
96 XAF

Fast food
combo meal

960 XAF

690 XAF
1,600 XAF

Restaurant
meal for one

3,200 XAF

2,500 XAF
4,000 XAF

Fine dining
meal for one

8,000 XAF

5,300 XAF
9,600 XAF

Soda
Soft Drink

80 XAF

80 XAF
80 XAF

Cappuccino
or latte

640 XAF

400 XAF
960 XAF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

480 XAF

400 XAF
530 XAF

Loaf of
bread

69 XAF

60 XAF
80 XAF

12
eggs

480 XAF

400 XAF
600 XAF

Fresh whole
chicken

1,100 XAF

870 XAF
1,400 XAF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

1,300 XAF

1,100 XAF
1,600 XAF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

690 XAF

600 XAF
800 XAF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

320 XAF

270 XAF
400 XAF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

340 XAF

300 XAF
370 XAF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

330 XAF

290 XAF
370 XAF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

480 XAF

400 XAF
960 XAF

Average car
full tank

3,200 XAF

2,400 XAF
6,400 XAF

Average car
1-day rental

3,200 XAF

2,400 XAF
4,800 XAF

Average car
price

2,400,000 XAF

1,200,000 XAF
3,200,000 XAF

Bus ticket
one way

120 XAF

80 XAF
240 XAF

Car
Service

4,800 XAF

3,200 XAF
9,600 XAF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

23,000 XAF

5,800 XAF
49,000 XAF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

29,000 XAF

7,200 XAF
58,000 XAF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

46,000 XAF

10,000 XAF
52,000 XAF

Internet
and cable

4,800 XAF

2,400 XAF
6,400 XAF

Mobile phone
charges

3,200 XAF

1,900 XAF
9,600 XAF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

1,600 XAF

1,200 XAF
2,400 XAF

One month gym
membership

4,800 XAF

3,800 XAF
9,600 XAF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

4,000 XAF

2,800 XAF
6,000 XAF

Woman
dress

3,700 XAF

2,700 XAF
12,000 XAF

Woman
shoes

3,400 XAF

2,500 XAF
8,000 XAF

Men
shoes

2,700 XAF

2,200 XAF
5,300 XAF

Men
suit

3,000 XAF

2,400 XAF
16,000 XAF

Regular
t-shirt

1,600 XAF

1,200 XAF
4,800 XAF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

60,000 XAF

40,000 XAF
160,000 XAF

1-bedroom
apartment

96,000 XAF

60,000 XAF
240,000 XAF

2-bedroom
apartment

120,000 XAF

80,000 XAF
320,000 XAF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

12,000,000 XAF

8,000,000 XAF
24,000,000 XAF

1-bedroom
apartment

16,000,000 XAF

9,600,000 XAF
60,000,000 XAF

2-bedroom
apartment

48,000,000 XAF

16,000,000 XAF
96,000,000 XAF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

60,000 XAF

48,000 XAF
80,000 XAF

Double
Bed

48,000 XAF

32,000 XAF
60,000 XAF

Single
Bed

37,000 XAF

28,000 XAF
48,000 XAF

Living
Room

69,000 XAF

53,000 XAF
240,000 XAF

Dining
Table

32,000 XAF

24,000 XAF
60,000 XAF

Sofa
or Couch

44,000 XAF

32,000 XAF
96,000 XAF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

48,000 XAF

32,000 XAF
96,000 XAF

Fridge
or Freezer

44,000 XAF

28,000 XAF
60,000 XAF

Washing
Machine

53,000 XAF

37,000 XAF
96,000 XAF

Stove
or Cooker

44,000 XAF

34,000 XAF
60,000 XAF

Mobile
Phone

48,000 XAF

40,000 XAF
69,000 XAF

Laptop
or Computer

53,000 XAF

44,000 XAF
96,000 XAF

How do people spend their money in Equatorial Guinea?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Equatorial Guinea

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW35,000 XAF
AVERAGE140,000 XAF
HIGH290,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW5,800 XAF
AVERAGE23,000 XAF
HIGH49,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW7,700 XAF
AVERAGE31,000 XAF
HIGH65,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW15,000 XAF
AVERAGE61,000 XAF
HIGH130,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW8,600 XAF
AVERAGE35,000 XAF
HIGH73,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW4,800 XAF
AVERAGE19,000 XAF
HIGH41,000 XAF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,900 XAF
AVERAGE7,700 XAF
HIGH16,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW17,000 XAF
AVERAGE69,000 XAF
HIGH150,000 XAF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Equatorial Guinea

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW47,000 XAF
AVERAGE240,000 XAF
HIGH380,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW7,200 XAF
AVERAGE29,000 XAF
HIGH58,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW17,000 XAF
AVERAGE86,000 XAF
HIGH140,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW20,000 XAF
AVERAGE100,000 XAF
HIGH160,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW16,000 XAF
AVERAGE79,000 XAF
HIGH130,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW8,600 XAF
AVERAGE43,000 XAF
HIGH69,000 XAF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,900 XAF
AVERAGE14,000 XAF
HIGH23,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW24,000 XAF
AVERAGE120,000 XAF
HIGH200,000 XAF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Equatorial Guinea

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW110,000 XAF
AVERAGE370,000 XAF
HIGH550,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW10,000 XAF
AVERAGE46,000 XAF
HIGH52,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW27,000 XAF
AVERAGE92,000 XAF
HIGH140,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW60,000 XAF
AVERAGE210,000 XAF
HIGH310,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW27,000 XAF
AVERAGE92,000 XAF
HIGH140,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW17,000 XAF
AVERAGE58,000 XAF
HIGH86,000 XAF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW47,000 XAF
AVERAGE160,000 XAF
HIGH240,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW40,000 XAF
AVERAGE140,000 XAF
HIGH210,000 XAF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Equatorial Guinea

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW12,000 XAF
AVERAGE69,000 XAF
HIGH150,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW1,900 XAF
AVERAGE12,000 XAF
HIGH25,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW3,400 XAF
AVERAGE20,000 XAF
HIGH44,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW9,600 XAF
AVERAGE58,000 XAF
HIGH120,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW2,900 XAF
AVERAGE17,000 XAF
HIGH37,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,400 XAF
AVERAGE14,000 XAF
HIGH31,000 XAF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW9,100 XAF
AVERAGE55,000 XAF
HIGH120,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW7,200 XAF
AVERAGE43,000 XAF
HIGH94,000 XAF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Equatorial Guinea typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 200,000 XAF with expenditure ranging from 50,000 XAF and 340,000 XAF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Equatorial Guinea ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 27,000 XAF with 6,200 XAF and 46,000 XAF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 14,000 XAF to 96,000 XAF on commuting with 57,000 XAF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Equatorial Guinea is 110,000 XAF. The cost of groceries can range between 26,000 XAF to 180,000 XAF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Equatorial Guinea allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 14,000 XAF to 94,000 XAF with 56,000 XAF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 8,200 XAF to 57,000 XAF with 34,000 XAF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 59,000 XAF per month with 15,000 XAF being the minimum spent amount and 100,000 XAF being the maximum.

©copound