Cost Of Living in Eritrea

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Eritrea

Whether you're living in Eritrea or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
5,500 ERN
average per month
1,400 ERN
Range
12,000 ERN

Couple
10,000 ERN
average per month
2,100 ERN
Range
16,000 ERN

Family
16,000 ERN
average per month
4,800 ERN
Range
25,000 ERN

Student
4,100 ERN
average per month
690 ERN
Range
8,900 ERN
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Eritrea is 5,500 ERN. Expenses can range from 1,400 ERN at the minimum level to 12,000 ERN at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Eritrea is 10,000 ERN. Expenditure can range from 2,100 ERN to 16,000 ERN per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Eritrea is 16,000 ERN per month. Families spend anywhere from 4,800 ERN to 25,000 ERN.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Eritrea is 4,100 ERN. Students spend from 690 ERN to 8,900 ERN per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Eritrea

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.4 ERN

1.4 ERN
1.4 ERN

Fast food
combo meal

14 ERN

9.8 ERN
23 ERN

Restaurant
meal for one

46 ERN

36 ERN
57 ERN

Fine dining
meal for one

110 ERN

76 ERN
140 ERN

Soda
Soft Drink

1.1 ERN

1.1 ERN
1.1 ERN

Cappuccino
or latte

9.2 ERN

5.7 ERN
14 ERN

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

6.9 ERN

5.7 ERN
7.6 ERN

Loaf of
bread

0.98 ERN

0.86 ERN
1.1 ERN

12
eggs

6.9 ERN

5.7 ERN
8.6 ERN

Fresh whole
chicken

16 ERN

12 ERN
20 ERN

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

18 ERN

15 ERN
23 ERN

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

9.8 ERN

8.6 ERN
11 ERN

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

4.6 ERN

3.8 ERN
5.7 ERN

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

4.9 ERN

4.3 ERN
5.3 ERN

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

4.7 ERN

4.2 ERN
5.3 ERN

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

6.9 ERN

5.7 ERN
14 ERN

Average car
full tank

46 ERN

34 ERN
91 ERN

Average car
1-day rental

46 ERN

34 ERN
69 ERN

Average car
price

34,000 ERN

17,000 ERN
46,000 ERN

Bus ticket
one way

1.7 ERN

1.1 ERN
3.4 ERN

Car
Service

69 ERN

46 ERN
140 ERN

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

330 ERN

82 ERN
700 ERN

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

410 ERN

100 ERN
820 ERN

Electricity
and water bill
Family

660 ERN

140 ERN
740 ERN

Internet
and cable

69 ERN

34 ERN
91 ERN

Mobile phone
charges

46 ERN

27 ERN
140 ERN

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

23 ERN

17 ERN
34 ERN

One month gym
membership

69 ERN

55 ERN
140 ERN

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

57 ERN

40 ERN
86 ERN

Woman
dress

53 ERN

38 ERN
170 ERN

Woman
shoes

49 ERN

36 ERN
110 ERN

Men
shoes

38 ERN

31 ERN
76 ERN

Men
suit

43 ERN

34 ERN
230 ERN

Regular
t-shirt

23 ERN

17 ERN
69 ERN

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

860 ERN

570 ERN
2,300 ERN

1-bedroom
apartment

1,400 ERN

860 ERN
3,400 ERN

2-bedroom
apartment

1,700 ERN

1,100 ERN
4,600 ERN

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

170,000 ERN

110,000 ERN
340,000 ERN

1-bedroom
apartment

230,000 ERN

140,000 ERN
860,000 ERN

2-bedroom
apartment

690,000 ERN

230,000 ERN
1,400,000 ERN

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

860 ERN

690 ERN
1,100 ERN

Double
Bed

690 ERN

460 ERN
860 ERN

Single
Bed

530 ERN

400 ERN
690 ERN

Living
Room

980 ERN

760 ERN
3,400 ERN

Dining
Table

460 ERN

340 ERN
860 ERN

Sofa
or Couch

620 ERN

460 ERN
1,400 ERN

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

690 ERN

460 ERN
1,400 ERN

Fridge
or Freezer

620 ERN

400 ERN
860 ERN

Washing
Machine

760 ERN

530 ERN
1,400 ERN

Stove
or Cooker

620 ERN

490 ERN
860 ERN

Mobile
Phone

690 ERN

570 ERN
980 ERN

Laptop
or Computer

760 ERN

620 ERN
1,400 ERN

How do people spend their money in Eritrea?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Eritrea

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW490 ERN
AVERAGE2,000 ERN
HIGH4,200 ERN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW82 ERN
AVERAGE330 ERN
HIGH700 ERN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW110 ERN
AVERAGE440 ERN
HIGH930 ERN
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW220 ERN
AVERAGE880 ERN
HIGH1,900 ERN
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW120 ERN
AVERAGE490 ERN
HIGH1,000 ERN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW69 ERN
AVERAGE270 ERN
HIGH580 ERN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW27 ERN
AVERAGE110 ERN
HIGH230 ERN
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW250 ERN
AVERAGE990 ERN
HIGH2,100 ERN
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Eritrea

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW680 ERN
AVERAGE3,400 ERN
HIGH5,400 ERN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW100 ERN
AVERAGE410 ERN
HIGH820 ERN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW250 ERN
AVERAGE1,200 ERN
HIGH2,000 ERN
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW290 ERN
AVERAGE1,400 ERN
HIGH2,300 ERN
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW230 ERN
AVERAGE1,100 ERN
HIGH1,800 ERN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW120 ERN
AVERAGE620 ERN
HIGH990 ERN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW41 ERN
AVERAGE210 ERN
HIGH330 ERN
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW350 ERN
AVERAGE1,700 ERN
HIGH2,800 ERN
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Eritrea

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,500 ERN
AVERAGE5,300 ERN
HIGH7,900 ERN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW140 ERN
AVERAGE660 ERN
HIGH740 ERN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW380 ERN
AVERAGE1,300 ERN
HIGH2,000 ERN
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW860 ERN
AVERAGE3,000 ERN
HIGH4,400 ERN
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW380 ERN
AVERAGE1,300 ERN
HIGH2,000 ERN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW240 ERN
AVERAGE820 ERN
HIGH1,200 ERN
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW670 ERN
AVERAGE2,300 ERN
HIGH3,500 ERN
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW580 ERN
AVERAGE2,000 ERN
HIGH3,000 ERN
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Eritrea

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW160 ERN
AVERAGE990 ERN
HIGH2,100 ERN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW27 ERN
AVERAGE160 ERN
HIGH360 ERN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW48 ERN
AVERAGE290 ERN
HIGH620 ERN
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW140 ERN
AVERAGE820 ERN
HIGH1,800 ERN
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW41 ERN
AVERAGE250 ERN
HIGH540 ERN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW34 ERN
AVERAGE210 ERN
HIGH450 ERN
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW130 ERN
AVERAGE780 ERN
HIGH1,700 ERN
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW100 ERN
AVERAGE620 ERN
HIGH1,300 ERN
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Eritrea typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,900 ERN with expenditure ranging from 720 ERN and 4,900 ERN. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Eritrea ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 390 ERN with 89 ERN and 660 ERN being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 200 ERN to 1,400 ERN on commuting with 820 ERN being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Eritrea is 1,500 ERN. The cost of groceries can range between 380 ERN to 2,600 ERN. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Eritrea allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 190 ERN to 1,300 ERN with 800 ERN being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 120 ERN to 810 ERN with 480 ERN being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 850 ERN per month with 220 ERN being the minimum spent amount and 1,400 ERN being the maximum.

©copound