Cost Of Living in Ethiopia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Ethiopia

Whether you're living in Ethiopia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
7,100 ETB
average per month
1,800 ETB
Range
15,000 ETB

Couple
13,000 ETB
average per month
2,700 ETB
Range
21,000 ETB

Family
21,000 ETB
average per month
6,300 ETB
Range
32,000 ETB

Student
5,400 ETB
average per month
890 ETB
Range
12,000 ETB
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Ethiopia is 7,100 ETB. Expenses can range from 1,800 ETB at the minimum level to 15,000 ETB at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Ethiopia is 13,000 ETB. Expenditure can range from 2,700 ETB to 21,000 ETB per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Ethiopia is 21,000 ETB per month. Families spend anywhere from 6,300 ETB to 32,000 ETB.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Ethiopia is 5,400 ETB. Students spend from 890 ETB to 12,000 ETB per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Ethiopia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.8 ETB

1.8 ETB
1.8 ETB

Fast food
combo meal

18 ETB

13 ETB
30 ETB

Restaurant
meal for one

60 ETB

47 ETB
74 ETB

Fine dining
meal for one

150 ETB

99 ETB
180 ETB

Soda
Soft Drink

1.5 ETB

1.5 ETB
1.5 ETB

Cappuccino
or latte

12 ETB

7.4 ETB
18 ETB

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

8.9 ETB

7.4 ETB
9.9 ETB

Loaf of
bread

1.3 ETB

1.1 ETB
1.5 ETB

12
eggs

8.9 ETB

7.4 ETB
11 ETB

Fresh whole
chicken

21 ETB

16 ETB
26 ETB

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

24 ETB

20 ETB
30 ETB

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

13 ETB

11 ETB
15 ETB

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

6.0 ETB

5.0 ETB
7.4 ETB

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

6.4 ETB

5.6 ETB
6.9 ETB

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

6.2 ETB

5.4 ETB
6.9 ETB

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

8.9 ETB

7.4 ETB
18 ETB

Average car
full tank

60 ETB

45 ETB
120 ETB

Average car
1-day rental

60 ETB

45 ETB
89 ETB

Average car
price

45,000 ETB

22,000 ETB
60,000 ETB

Bus ticket
one way

2.2 ETB

1.5 ETB
4.5 ETB

Car
Service

89 ETB

60 ETB
180 ETB

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

430 ETB

110 ETB
910 ETB

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

540 ETB

130 ETB
1,100 ETB

Electricity
and water bill
Family

860 ETB

190 ETB
960 ETB

Internet
and cable

89 ETB

45 ETB
120 ETB

Mobile phone
charges

60 ETB

36 ETB
180 ETB

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

30 ETB

22 ETB
45 ETB

One month gym
membership

89 ETB

71 ETB
180 ETB

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

74 ETB

53 ETB
110 ETB

Woman
dress

69 ETB

50 ETB
220 ETB

Woman
shoes

64 ETB

47 ETB
150 ETB

Men
shoes

50 ETB

41 ETB
99 ETB

Men
suit

56 ETB

45 ETB
300 ETB

Regular
t-shirt

30 ETB

22 ETB
89 ETB

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,100 ETB

740 ETB
3,000 ETB

1-bedroom
apartment

1,800 ETB

1,100 ETB
4,500 ETB

2-bedroom
apartment

2,200 ETB

1,500 ETB
6,000 ETB

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

220,000 ETB

150,000 ETB
450,000 ETB

1-bedroom
apartment

300,000 ETB

180,000 ETB
1,100,000 ETB

2-bedroom
apartment

890,000 ETB

300,000 ETB
1,800,000 ETB

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,100 ETB

890 ETB
1,500 ETB

Double
Bed

890 ETB

600 ETB
1,100 ETB

Single
Bed

690 ETB

530 ETB
890 ETB

Living
Room

1,300 ETB

990 ETB
4,500 ETB

Dining
Table

600 ETB

450 ETB
1,100 ETB

Sofa
or Couch

810 ETB

600 ETB
1,800 ETB

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

890 ETB

600 ETB
1,800 ETB

Fridge
or Freezer

810 ETB

530 ETB
1,100 ETB

Washing
Machine

990 ETB

690 ETB
1,800 ETB

Stove
or Cooker

810 ETB

640 ETB
1,100 ETB

Mobile
Phone

890 ETB

740 ETB
1,300 ETB

Laptop
or Computer

990 ETB

810 ETB
1,800 ETB

How do people spend their money in Ethiopia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Ethiopia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW640 ETB
AVERAGE2,600 ETB
HIGH5,500 ETB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW110 ETB
AVERAGE430 ETB
HIGH910 ETB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW140 ETB
AVERAGE570 ETB
HIGH1,200 ETB
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW290 ETB
AVERAGE1,100 ETB
HIGH2,400 ETB
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW160 ETB
AVERAGE640 ETB
HIGH1,400 ETB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW89 ETB
AVERAGE360 ETB
HIGH760 ETB
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW36 ETB
AVERAGE140 ETB
HIGH300 ETB
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW320 ETB
AVERAGE1,300 ETB
HIGH2,700 ETB
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Ethiopia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW880 ETB
AVERAGE4,400 ETB
HIGH7,100 ETB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW130 ETB
AVERAGE540 ETB
HIGH1,100 ETB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW320 ETB
AVERAGE1,600 ETB
HIGH2,600 ETB
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW380 ETB
AVERAGE1,900 ETB
HIGH3,000 ETB
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW290 ETB
AVERAGE1,500 ETB
HIGH2,400 ETB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW160 ETB
AVERAGE800 ETB
HIGH1,300 ETB
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW54 ETB
AVERAGE270 ETB
HIGH430 ETB
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW460 ETB
AVERAGE2,300 ETB
HIGH3,600 ETB
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Ethiopia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW2,000 ETB
AVERAGE6,900 ETB
HIGH10,000 ETB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW190 ETB
AVERAGE860 ETB
HIGH960 ETB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW500 ETB
AVERAGE1,700 ETB
HIGH2,600 ETB
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,100 ETB
AVERAGE3,900 ETB
HIGH5,800 ETB
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW500 ETB
AVERAGE1,700 ETB
HIGH2,600 ETB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW310 ETB
AVERAGE1,100 ETB
HIGH1,600 ETB
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW880 ETB
AVERAGE3,000 ETB
HIGH4,500 ETB
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW750 ETB
AVERAGE2,600 ETB
HIGH3,900 ETB
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Ethiopia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW210 ETB
AVERAGE1,300 ETB
HIGH2,800 ETB
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW36 ETB
AVERAGE210 ETB
HIGH460 ETB
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW63 ETB
AVERAGE380 ETB
HIGH810 ETB
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW180 ETB
AVERAGE1,100 ETB
HIGH2,300 ETB
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW54 ETB
AVERAGE320 ETB
HIGH700 ETB
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW45 ETB
AVERAGE270 ETB
HIGH580 ETB
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW170 ETB
AVERAGE1,000 ETB
HIGH2,200 ETB
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW130 ETB
AVERAGE800 ETB
HIGH1,700 ETB
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Ethiopia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,800 ETB with expenditure ranging from 940 ETB and 6,400 ETB. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Ethiopia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 510 ETB with 120 ETB and 850 ETB being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 260 ETB to 1,800 ETB on commuting with 1,100 ETB being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Ethiopia is 2,000 ETB. The cost of groceries can range between 490 ETB to 3,400 ETB. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Ethiopia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 250 ETB to 1,700 ETB with 1,000 ETB being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 150 ETB to 1,100 ETB with 630 ETB being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,100 ETB per month with 280 ETB being the minimum spent amount and 1,900 ETB being the maximum.

©copound