Cost Of Living in Fiji

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Fiji

Whether you're living in Fiji or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,900 FJD
average per month
970 FJD
Range
8,200 FJD

Couple
7,200 FJD
average per month
1,400 FJD
Range
12,000 FJD

Family
12,000 FJD
average per month
3,400 FJD
Range
17,000 FJD

Student
2,900 FJD
average per month
480 FJD
Range
6,300 FJD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Fiji is 3,900 FJD. Expenses can range from 970 FJD at the minimum level to 8,200 FJD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Fiji is 7,200 FJD. Expenditure can range from 1,400 FJD to 12,000 FJD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Fiji is 12,000 FJD per month. Families spend anywhere from 3,400 FJD to 17,000 FJD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Fiji is 2,900 FJD. Students spend from 480 FJD to 6,300 FJD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Fiji

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.97 FJD

0.97 FJD
0.97 FJD

Fast food
combo meal

9.7 FJD

6.9 FJD
16 FJD

Restaurant
meal for one

32 FJD

25 FJD
40 FJD

Fine dining
meal for one

80 FJD

54 FJD
97 FJD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.80 FJD

0.80 FJD
0.80 FJD

Cappuccino
or latte

6.4 FJD

4.0 FJD
9.7 FJD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

4.8 FJD

4.0 FJD
5.4 FJD

Loaf of
bread

0.69 FJD

0.60 FJD
0.80 FJD

12
eggs

4.8 FJD

4.0 FJD
6.0 FJD

Fresh whole
chicken

11 FJD

8.8 FJD
14 FJD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

13 FJD

11 FJD
16 FJD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

6.9 FJD

6.0 FJD
8.0 FJD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

3.2 FJD

2.7 FJD
4.0 FJD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

3.5 FJD

3.0 FJD
3.7 FJD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

3.3 FJD

2.9 FJD
3.7 FJD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

4.8 FJD

4.0 FJD
9.7 FJD

Average car
full tank

32 FJD

24 FJD
64 FJD

Average car
1-day rental

32 FJD

24 FJD
48 FJD

Average car
price

24,000 FJD

12,000 FJD
32,000 FJD

Bus ticket
one way

1.2 FJD

0.80 FJD
2.4 FJD

Car
Service

48 FJD

32 FJD
97 FJD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

230 FJD

58 FJD
490 FJD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

290 FJD

72 FJD
580 FJD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

460 FJD

100 FJD
520 FJD

Internet
and cable

48 FJD

24 FJD
64 FJD

Mobile phone
charges

32 FJD

19 FJD
97 FJD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

16 FJD

12 FJD
24 FJD

One month gym
membership

48 FJD

39 FJD
97 FJD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

40 FJD

28 FJD
60 FJD

Woman
dress

37 FJD

27 FJD
120 FJD

Woman
shoes

34 FJD

25 FJD
80 FJD

Men
shoes

27 FJD

22 FJD
54 FJD

Men
suit

30 FJD

24 FJD
160 FJD

Regular
t-shirt

16 FJD

12 FJD
48 FJD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

600 FJD

400 FJD
1,600 FJD

1-bedroom
apartment

970 FJD

600 FJD
2,400 FJD

2-bedroom
apartment

1,200 FJD

800 FJD
3,200 FJD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

120,000 FJD

80,000 FJD
240,000 FJD

1-bedroom
apartment

160,000 FJD

97,000 FJD
600,000 FJD

2-bedroom
apartment

480,000 FJD

160,000 FJD
970,000 FJD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

600 FJD

480 FJD
800 FJD

Double
Bed

480 FJD

320 FJD
600 FJD

Single
Bed

370 FJD

280 FJD
480 FJD

Living
Room

690 FJD

540 FJD
2,400 FJD

Dining
Table

320 FJD

240 FJD
600 FJD

Sofa
or Couch

440 FJD

320 FJD
970 FJD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

480 FJD

320 FJD
970 FJD

Fridge
or Freezer

440 FJD

280 FJD
600 FJD

Washing
Machine

540 FJD

370 FJD
970 FJD

Stove
or Cooker

440 FJD

340 FJD
600 FJD

Mobile
Phone

480 FJD

400 FJD
690 FJD

Laptop
or Computer

540 FJD

440 FJD
970 FJD

How do people spend their money in Fiji?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Fiji

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW350 FJD
AVERAGE1,400 FJD
HIGH3,000 FJD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW58 FJD
AVERAGE230 FJD
HIGH490 FJD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW77 FJD
AVERAGE310 FJD
HIGH660 FJD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW150 FJD
AVERAGE620 FJD
HIGH1,300 FJD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW87 FJD
AVERAGE350 FJD
HIGH740 FJD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW48 FJD
AVERAGE190 FJD
HIGH410 FJD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW19 FJD
AVERAGE77 FJD
HIGH160 FJD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW170 FJD
AVERAGE690 FJD
HIGH1,500 FJD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Fiji

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW480 FJD
AVERAGE2,400 FJD
HIGH3,800 FJD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW72 FJD
AVERAGE290 FJD
HIGH580 FJD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW170 FJD
AVERAGE870 FJD
HIGH1,400 FJD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW200 FJD
AVERAGE1,000 FJD
HIGH1,600 FJD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW160 FJD
AVERAGE800 FJD
HIGH1,300 FJD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW87 FJD
AVERAGE430 FJD
HIGH690 FJD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW29 FJD
AVERAGE140 FJD
HIGH230 FJD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW250 FJD
AVERAGE1,200 FJD
HIGH2,000 FJD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Fiji

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,100 FJD
AVERAGE3,700 FJD
HIGH5,600 FJD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW100 FJD
AVERAGE460 FJD
HIGH520 FJD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW270 FJD
AVERAGE930 FJD
HIGH1,400 FJD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW610 FJD
AVERAGE2,100 FJD
HIGH3,100 FJD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW270 FJD
AVERAGE930 FJD
HIGH1,400 FJD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW170 FJD
AVERAGE580 FJD
HIGH870 FJD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW470 FJD
AVERAGE1,600 FJD
HIGH2,400 FJD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW410 FJD
AVERAGE1,400 FJD
HIGH2,100 FJD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Fiji

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW120 FJD
AVERAGE690 FJD
HIGH1,500 FJD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW19 FJD
AVERAGE120 FJD
HIGH250 FJD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW34 FJD
AVERAGE200 FJD
HIGH440 FJD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW97 FJD
AVERAGE580 FJD
HIGH1,300 FJD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW29 FJD
AVERAGE170 FJD
HIGH380 FJD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW24 FJD
AVERAGE140 FJD
HIGH310 FJD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW92 FJD
AVERAGE550 FJD
HIGH1,200 FJD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW72 FJD
AVERAGE430 FJD
HIGH940 FJD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Fiji typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,000 FJD with expenditure ranging from 510 FJD and 3,500 FJD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Fiji ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 280 FJD with 63 FJD and 460 FJD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 140 FJD to 970 FJD on commuting with 580 FJD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Fiji is 1,100 FJD. The cost of groceries can range between 270 FJD to 1,800 FJD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Fiji allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 140 FJD to 940 FJD with 560 FJD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 82 FJD to 570 FJD with 340 FJD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 600 FJD per month with 150 FJD being the minimum spent amount and 1,000 FJD being the maximum.

Suva  
©copound