Cost Of Living in France

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in France

Whether you're living in France or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,300 EUR
average per month
830 EUR
Range
7,000 EUR

Couple
6,200 EUR
average per month
1,200 EUR
Range
9,900 EUR

Family
9,900 EUR
average per month
2,900 EUR
Range
15,000 EUR

Student
2,500 EUR
average per month
410 EUR
Range
5,400 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in France is 3,300 EUR. Expenses can range from 830 EUR at the minimum level to 7,000 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in France is 6,200 EUR. Expenditure can range from 1,200 EUR to 9,900 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in France is 9,900 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,900 EUR to 15,000 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in France is 2,500 EUR. Students spend from 410 EUR to 5,400 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in France

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.83 EUR

0.83 EUR
0.83 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

8.3 EUR

5.9 EUR
14 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

28 EUR

22 EUR
35 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

69 EUR

46 EUR
83 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.69 EUR

0.69 EUR
0.69 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

5.5 EUR

3.5 EUR
8.3 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

4.1 EUR

3.5 EUR
4.6 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.59 EUR

0.52 EUR
0.69 EUR

12
eggs

4.1 EUR

3.5 EUR
5.2 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

9.6 EUR

7.5 EUR
12 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

11 EUR

9.2 EUR
14 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

5.9 EUR

5.2 EUR
6.9 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.8 EUR

2.3 EUR
3.5 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

3.0 EUR

2.6 EUR
3.2 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.9 EUR

2.5 EUR
3.2 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

4.1 EUR

3.5 EUR
8.3 EUR

Average car
full tank

28 EUR

21 EUR
55 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

28 EUR

21 EUR
41 EUR

Average car
price

21,000 EUR

10,000 EUR
28,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

1.0 EUR

0.69 EUR
2.1 EUR

Car
Service

41 EUR

28 EUR
83 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

200 EUR

50 EUR
420 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

250 EUR

62 EUR
500 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

400 EUR

87 EUR
450 EUR

Internet
and cable

41 EUR

21 EUR
55 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

28 EUR

17 EUR
83 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

14 EUR

10 EUR
21 EUR

One month gym
membership

41 EUR

33 EUR
83 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

35 EUR

24 EUR
52 EUR

Woman
dress

32 EUR

23 EUR
100 EUR

Woman
shoes

30 EUR

22 EUR
69 EUR

Men
shoes

23 EUR

19 EUR
46 EUR

Men
suit

26 EUR

21 EUR
140 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

14 EUR

10 EUR
41 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

520 EUR

350 EUR
1,400 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

830 EUR

520 EUR
2,100 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

1,000 EUR

690 EUR
2,800 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

100,000 EUR

69,000 EUR
210,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

140,000 EUR

83,000 EUR
520,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

410,000 EUR

140,000 EUR
830,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

520 EUR

410 EUR
690 EUR

Double
Bed

410 EUR

280 EUR
520 EUR

Single
Bed

320 EUR

240 EUR
410 EUR

Living
Room

590 EUR

460 EUR
2,100 EUR

Dining
Table

280 EUR

210 EUR
520 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

380 EUR

280 EUR
830 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

410 EUR

280 EUR
830 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

380 EUR

240 EUR
520 EUR

Washing
Machine

460 EUR

320 EUR
830 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

380 EUR

300 EUR
520 EUR

Mobile
Phone

410 EUR

350 EUR
590 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

460 EUR

380 EUR
830 EUR

How do people spend their money in France?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in France

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW300 EUR
AVERAGE1,200 EUR
HIGH2,500 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW50 EUR
AVERAGE200 EUR
HIGH420 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW66 EUR
AVERAGE270 EUR
HIGH560 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW130 EUR
AVERAGE530 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW75 EUR
AVERAGE300 EUR
HIGH630 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW41 EUR
AVERAGE170 EUR
HIGH350 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW17 EUR
AVERAGE66 EUR
HIGH140 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW150 EUR
AVERAGE600 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in France

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW410 EUR
AVERAGE2,100 EUR
HIGH3,300 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW62 EUR
AVERAGE250 EUR
HIGH500 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW150 EUR
AVERAGE750 EUR
HIGH1,200 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW170 EUR
AVERAGE870 EUR
HIGH1,400 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW140 EUR
AVERAGE680 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW75 EUR
AVERAGE370 EUR
HIGH600 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW25 EUR
AVERAGE120 EUR
HIGH200 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW210 EUR
AVERAGE1,100 EUR
HIGH1,700 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in France

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW930 EUR
AVERAGE3,200 EUR
HIGH4,800 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW87 EUR
AVERAGE400 EUR
HIGH450 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW230 EUR
AVERAGE800 EUR
HIGH1,200 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW520 EUR
AVERAGE1,800 EUR
HIGH2,700 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW230 EUR
AVERAGE800 EUR
HIGH1,200 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW150 EUR
AVERAGE500 EUR
HIGH750 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW410 EUR
AVERAGE1,400 EUR
HIGH2,100 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW350 EUR
AVERAGE1,200 EUR
HIGH1,800 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in France

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW99 EUR
AVERAGE600 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW17 EUR
AVERAGE99 EUR
HIGH220 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW29 EUR
AVERAGE170 EUR
HIGH380 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW83 EUR
AVERAGE500 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW25 EUR
AVERAGE150 EUR
HIGH320 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW21 EUR
AVERAGE120 EUR
HIGH270 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW79 EUR
AVERAGE470 EUR
HIGH1,000 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW62 EUR
AVERAGE370 EUR
HIGH810 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in France typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,800 EUR with expenditure ranging from 430 EUR and 3,000 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in France ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 240 EUR with 54 EUR and 400 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 120 EUR to 830 EUR on commuting with 500 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in France is 920 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 230 EUR to 1,600 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in France allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 120 EUR to 810 EUR with 480 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 70 EUR to 490 EUR with 290 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 510 EUR per month with 130 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 860 EUR being the maximum.

©copound