Cost Of Living in French Guiana

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in French Guiana

Whether you're living in French Guiana or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,500 EUR
average per month
630 EUR
Range
5,300 EUR

Couple
4,700 EUR
average per month
940 EUR
Range
7,500 EUR

Family
7,500 EUR
average per month
2,200 EUR
Range
11,000 EUR

Student
1,900 EUR
average per month
310 EUR
Range
4,100 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in French Guiana is 2,500 EUR. Expenses can range from 630 EUR at the minimum level to 5,300 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in French Guiana is 4,700 EUR. Expenditure can range from 940 EUR to 7,500 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in French Guiana is 7,500 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,200 EUR to 11,000 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in French Guiana is 1,900 EUR. Students spend from 310 EUR to 4,100 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in French Guiana

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.63 EUR

0.63 EUR
0.63 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

6.3 EUR

4.5 EUR
10 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

21 EUR

17 EUR
26 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

52 EUR

35 EUR
63 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.52 EUR

0.52 EUR
0.52 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

4.2 EUR

2.6 EUR
6.3 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.1 EUR

2.6 EUR
3.5 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.45 EUR

0.39 EUR
0.52 EUR

12
eggs

3.1 EUR

2.6 EUR
3.9 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

7.3 EUR

5.7 EUR
9.0 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

8.3 EUR

7.0 EUR
10 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

4.5 EUR

3.9 EUR
5.2 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.1 EUR

1.8 EUR
2.6 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.3 EUR

2.0 EUR
2.4 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.2 EUR

1.9 EUR
2.4 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.1 EUR

2.6 EUR
6.3 EUR

Average car
full tank

21 EUR

16 EUR
42 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

21 EUR

16 EUR
31 EUR

Average car
price

16,000 EUR

7,900 EUR
21,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

0.79 EUR

0.52 EUR
1.6 EUR

Car
Service

31 EUR

21 EUR
63 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

150 EUR

38 EUR
320 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

190 EUR

47 EUR
380 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

300 EUR

66 EUR
340 EUR

Internet
and cable

31 EUR

16 EUR
42 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

21 EUR

13 EUR
63 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

10 EUR

7.9 EUR
16 EUR

One month gym
membership

31 EUR

25 EUR
63 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

26 EUR

18 EUR
39 EUR

Woman
dress

24 EUR

17 EUR
79 EUR

Woman
shoes

22 EUR

17 EUR
52 EUR

Men
shoes

17 EUR

14 EUR
35 EUR

Men
suit

20 EUR

16 EUR
100 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

10 EUR

7.9 EUR
31 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

390 EUR

260 EUR
1,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

630 EUR

390 EUR
1,600 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

790 EUR

520 EUR
2,100 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

79,000 EUR

52,000 EUR
160,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

100,000 EUR

63,000 EUR
390,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

310,000 EUR

100,000 EUR
630,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

390 EUR

310 EUR
520 EUR

Double
Bed

310 EUR

210 EUR
390 EUR

Single
Bed

240 EUR

180 EUR
310 EUR

Living
Room

450 EUR

350 EUR
1,600 EUR

Dining
Table

210 EUR

160 EUR
390 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

290 EUR

210 EUR
630 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

310 EUR

210 EUR
630 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

290 EUR

180 EUR
390 EUR

Washing
Machine

350 EUR

240 EUR
630 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

290 EUR

220 EUR
390 EUR

Mobile
Phone

310 EUR

260 EUR
450 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

350 EUR

290 EUR
630 EUR

How do people spend their money in French Guiana?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in French Guiana

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW230 EUR
AVERAGE910 EUR
HIGH1,900 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW38 EUR
AVERAGE150 EUR
HIGH320 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW50 EUR
AVERAGE200 EUR
HIGH430 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW100 EUR
AVERAGE400 EUR
HIGH860 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW57 EUR
AVERAGE230 EUR
HIGH480 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW31 EUR
AVERAGE130 EUR
HIGH270 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW13 EUR
AVERAGE50 EUR
HIGH110 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE450 EUR
HIGH960 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in French Guiana

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW310 EUR
AVERAGE1,600 EUR
HIGH2,500 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW47 EUR
AVERAGE190 EUR
HIGH380 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE570 EUR
HIGH910 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW130 EUR
AVERAGE660 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW100 EUR
AVERAGE520 EUR
HIGH830 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW57 EUR
AVERAGE280 EUR
HIGH450 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW19 EUR
AVERAGE94 EUR
HIGH150 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW160 EUR
AVERAGE800 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in French Guiana

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW700 EUR
AVERAGE2,400 EUR
HIGH3,600 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW66 EUR
AVERAGE300 EUR
HIGH340 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW180 EUR
AVERAGE600 EUR
HIGH910 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW400 EUR
AVERAGE1,400 EUR
HIGH2,000 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW180 EUR
AVERAGE600 EUR
HIGH910 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE380 EUR
HIGH570 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW310 EUR
AVERAGE1,100 EUR
HIGH1,600 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW260 EUR
AVERAGE910 EUR
HIGH1,400 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in French Guiana

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW75 EUR
AVERAGE450 EUR
HIGH980 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW13 EUR
AVERAGE75 EUR
HIGH160 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW22 EUR
AVERAGE130 EUR
HIGH290 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW63 EUR
AVERAGE380 EUR
HIGH820 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW19 EUR
AVERAGE110 EUR
HIGH250 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW16 EUR
AVERAGE94 EUR
HIGH200 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW60 EUR
AVERAGE360 EUR
HIGH780 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW47 EUR
AVERAGE280 EUR
HIGH610 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in French Guiana typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,300 EUR with expenditure ranging from 330 EUR and 2,300 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in French Guiana ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 180 EUR with 41 EUR and 300 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 90 EUR to 630 EUR on commuting with 380 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in French Guiana is 700 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 170 EUR to 1,200 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in French Guiana allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 89 EUR to 620 EUR with 370 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 53 EUR to 370 EUR with 220 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 390 EUR per month with 100 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 650 EUR being the maximum.

©copound