Cost Of Living in French Polynesia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in French Polynesia

Whether you're living in French Polynesia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
120,000 XPF
average per month
29,000 XPF
Range
250,000 XPF

Couple
220,000 XPF
average per month
44,000 XPF
Range
350,000 XPF

Family
350,000 XPF
average per month
100,000 XPF
Range
530,000 XPF

Student
88,000 XPF
average per month
15,000 XPF
Range
190,000 XPF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in French Polynesia is 120,000 XPF. Expenses can range from 29,000 XPF at the minimum level to 250,000 XPF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in French Polynesia is 220,000 XPF. Expenditure can range from 44,000 XPF to 350,000 XPF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in French Polynesia is 350,000 XPF per month. Families spend anywhere from 100,000 XPF to 530,000 XPF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in French Polynesia is 88,000 XPF. Students spend from 15,000 XPF to 190,000 XPF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in French Polynesia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

29 XPF

29 XPF
29 XPF

Fast food
combo meal

290 XPF

210 XPF
490 XPF

Restaurant
meal for one

970 XPF

770 XPF
1,200 XPF

Fine dining
meal for one

2,400 XPF

1,600 XPF
2,900 XPF

Soda
Soft Drink

24 XPF

24 XPF
24 XPF

Cappuccino
or latte

190 XPF

120 XPF
290 XPF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

150 XPF

120 XPF
160 XPF

Loaf of
bread

21 XPF

18 XPF
24 XPF

12
eggs

150 XPF

120 XPF
180 XPF

Fresh whole
chicken

340 XPF

270 XPF
420 XPF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

380 XPF

320 XPF
490 XPF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

210 XPF

180 XPF
240 XPF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

97 XPF

81 XPF
120 XPF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

100 XPF

91 XPF
110 XPF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

100 XPF

89 XPF
110 XPF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

150 XPF

120 XPF
290 XPF

Average car
full tank

970 XPF

730 XPF
1,900 XPF

Average car
1-day rental

970 XPF

730 XPF
1,500 XPF

Average car
price

730,000 XPF

370,000 XPF
970,000 XPF

Bus ticket
one way

37 XPF

24 XPF
73 XPF

Car
Service

1,500 XPF

970 XPF
2,900 XPF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

7,000 XPF

1,800 XPF
15,000 XPF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

8,800 XPF

2,200 XPF
18,000 XPF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

14,000 XPF

3,100 XPF
16,000 XPF

Internet
and cable

1,500 XPF

730 XPF
1,900 XPF

Mobile phone
charges

970 XPF

580 XPF
2,900 XPF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

490 XPF

370 XPF
730 XPF

One month gym
membership

1,500 XPF

1,200 XPF
2,900 XPF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

1,200 XPF

860 XPF
1,800 XPF

Woman
dress

1,100 XPF

810 XPF
3,700 XPF

Woman
shoes

1,000 XPF

770 XPF
2,400 XPF

Men
shoes

810 XPF

660 XPF
1,600 XPF

Men
suit

910 XPF

730 XPF
4,900 XPF

Regular
t-shirt

490 XPF

370 XPF
1,500 XPF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

18,000 XPF

12,000 XPF
49,000 XPF

1-bedroom
apartment

29,000 XPF

18,000 XPF
73,000 XPF

2-bedroom
apartment

37,000 XPF

24,000 XPF
97,000 XPF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

3,700,000 XPF

2,400,000 XPF
7,300,000 XPF

1-bedroom
apartment

4,900,000 XPF

2,900,000 XPF
18,000,000 XPF

2-bedroom
apartment

15,000,000 XPF

4,900,000 XPF
29,000,000 XPF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

18,000 XPF

15,000 XPF
24,000 XPF

Double
Bed

15,000 XPF

9,700 XPF
18,000 XPF

Single
Bed

11,000 XPF

8,600 XPF
15,000 XPF

Living
Room

21,000 XPF

16,000 XPF
73,000 XPF

Dining
Table

9,700 XPF

7,300 XPF
18,000 XPF

Sofa
or Couch

13,000 XPF

9,700 XPF
29,000 XPF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

15,000 XPF

9,700 XPF
29,000 XPF

Fridge
or Freezer

13,000 XPF

8,600 XPF
18,000 XPF

Washing
Machine

16,000 XPF

11,000 XPF
29,000 XPF

Stove
or Cooker

13,000 XPF

10,000 XPF
18,000 XPF

Mobile
Phone

15,000 XPF

12,000 XPF
21,000 XPF

Laptop
or Computer

16,000 XPF

13,000 XPF
29,000 XPF

How do people spend their money in French Polynesia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in French Polynesia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW11,000 XPF
AVERAGE42,000 XPF
HIGH89,000 XPF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,800 XPF
AVERAGE7,000 XPF
HIGH15,000 XPF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW2,300 XPF
AVERAGE9,400 XPF
HIGH20,000 XPF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW4,700 XPF
AVERAGE19,000 XPF
HIGH40,000 XPF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW2,600 XPF
AVERAGE11,000 XPF
HIGH22,000 XPF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,500 XPF
AVERAGE5,800 XPF
HIGH12,000 XPF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW580 XPF
AVERAGE2,300 XPF
HIGH5,000 XPF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW5,300 XPF
AVERAGE21,000 XPF
HIGH45,000 XPF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in French Polynesia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW14,000 XPF
AVERAGE72,000 XPF
HIGH120,000 XPF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW2,200 XPF
AVERAGE8,800 XPF
HIGH18,000 XPF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW5,300 XPF
AVERAGE26,000 XPF
HIGH42,000 XPF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW6,100 XPF
AVERAGE31,000 XPF
HIGH49,000 XPF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW4,800 XPF
AVERAGE24,000 XPF
HIGH39,000 XPF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW2,600 XPF
AVERAGE13,000 XPF
HIGH21,000 XPF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW880 XPF
AVERAGE4,400 XPF
HIGH7,000 XPF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW7,500 XPF
AVERAGE37,000 XPF
HIGH60,000 XPF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in French Polynesia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW33,000 XPF
AVERAGE110,000 XPF
HIGH170,000 XPF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW3,100 XPF
AVERAGE14,000 XPF
HIGH16,000 XPF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW8,200 XPF
AVERAGE28,000 XPF
HIGH42,000 XPF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW18,000 XPF
AVERAGE63,000 XPF
HIGH95,000 XPF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW8,200 XPF
AVERAGE28,000 XPF
HIGH42,000 XPF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW5,100 XPF
AVERAGE18,000 XPF
HIGH26,000 XPF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW14,000 XPF
AVERAGE49,000 XPF
HIGH74,000 XPF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW12,000 XPF
AVERAGE42,000 XPF
HIGH63,000 XPF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in French Polynesia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW3,500 XPF
AVERAGE21,000 XPF
HIGH46,000 XPF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW580 XPF
AVERAGE3,500 XPF
HIGH7,600 XPF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW1,000 XPF
AVERAGE6,100 XPF
HIGH13,000 XPF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW2,900 XPF
AVERAGE18,000 XPF
HIGH38,000 XPF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW880 XPF
AVERAGE5,300 XPF
HIGH11,000 XPF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW730 XPF
AVERAGE4,400 XPF
HIGH9,500 XPF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW2,800 XPF
AVERAGE17,000 XPF
HIGH36,000 XPF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW2,200 XPF
AVERAGE13,000 XPF
HIGH28,000 XPF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in French Polynesia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 62,000 XPF with expenditure ranging from 15,000 XPF and 100,000 XPF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in French Polynesia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 8,300 XPF with 1,900 XPF and 14,000 XPF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 4,200 XPF to 29,000 XPF on commuting with 17,000 XPF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in French Polynesia is 33,000 XPF. The cost of groceries can range between 8,000 XPF to 55,000 XPF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in French Polynesia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 4,100 XPF to 29,000 XPF with 17,000 XPF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 2,500 XPF to 17,000 XPF with 10,000 XPF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 18,000 XPF per month with 4,600 XPF being the minimum spent amount and 30,000 XPF being the maximum.

©copound