Cost Of Living in Gabon

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Gabon

Whether you're living in Gabon or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
440,000 XAF
average per month
110,000 XAF
Range
940,000 XAF

Couple
830,000 XAF
average per month
170,000 XAF
Range
1,300,000 XAF

Family
1,300,000 XAF
average per month
390,000 XAF
Range
2,000,000 XAF

Student
330,000 XAF
average per month
55,000 XAF
Range
720,000 XAF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Gabon is 440,000 XAF. Expenses can range from 110,000 XAF at the minimum level to 940,000 XAF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Gabon is 830,000 XAF. Expenditure can range from 170,000 XAF to 1,300,000 XAF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Gabon is 1,300,000 XAF per month. Families spend anywhere from 390,000 XAF to 2,000,000 XAF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Gabon is 330,000 XAF. Students spend from 55,000 XAF to 720,000 XAF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Gabon

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

110 XAF

110 XAF
110 XAF

Fast food
combo meal

1,100 XAF

790 XAF
1,800 XAF

Restaurant
meal for one

3,700 XAF

2,900 XAF
4,600 XAF

Fine dining
meal for one

9,200 XAF

6,200 XAF
11,000 XAF

Soda
Soft Drink

92 XAF

92 XAF
92 XAF

Cappuccino
or latte

740 XAF

460 XAF
1,100 XAF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

550 XAF

460 XAF
620 XAF

Loaf of
bread

79 XAF

69 XAF
92 XAF

12
eggs

550 XAF

460 XAF
690 XAF

Fresh whole
chicken

1,300 XAF

1,000 XAF
1,600 XAF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

1,500 XAF

1,200 XAF
1,800 XAF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

790 XAF

690 XAF
920 XAF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

370 XAF

310 XAF
460 XAF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

400 XAF

350 XAF
430 XAF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

380 XAF

340 XAF
430 XAF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

550 XAF

460 XAF
1,100 XAF

Average car
full tank

3,700 XAF

2,800 XAF
7,400 XAF

Average car
1-day rental

3,700 XAF

2,800 XAF
5,500 XAF

Average car
price

2,800,000 XAF

1,400,000 XAF
3,700,000 XAF

Bus ticket
one way

140 XAF

92 XAF
280 XAF

Car
Service

5,500 XAF

3,700 XAF
11,000 XAF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

27,000 XAF

6,700 XAF
57,000 XAF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

33,000 XAF

8,300 XAF
67,000 XAF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

53,000 XAF

12,000 XAF
60,000 XAF

Internet
and cable

5,500 XAF

2,800 XAF
7,400 XAF

Mobile phone
charges

3,700 XAF

2,200 XAF
11,000 XAF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

1,800 XAF

1,400 XAF
2,800 XAF

One month gym
membership

5,500 XAF

4,400 XAF
11,000 XAF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

4,600 XAF

3,300 XAF
6,900 XAF

Woman
dress

4,300 XAF

3,100 XAF
14,000 XAF

Woman
shoes

4,000 XAF

2,900 XAF
9,200 XAF

Men
shoes

3,100 XAF

2,500 XAF
6,200 XAF

Men
suit

3,500 XAF

2,800 XAF
18,000 XAF

Regular
t-shirt

1,800 XAF

1,400 XAF
5,500 XAF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

69,000 XAF

46,000 XAF
180,000 XAF

1-bedroom
apartment

110,000 XAF

69,000 XAF
280,000 XAF

2-bedroom
apartment

140,000 XAF

92,000 XAF
370,000 XAF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

14,000,000 XAF

9,200,000 XAF
28,000,000 XAF

1-bedroom
apartment

18,000,000 XAF

11,000,000 XAF
69,000,000 XAF

2-bedroom
apartment

55,000,000 XAF

18,000,000 XAF
110,000,000 XAF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

69,000 XAF

55,000 XAF
92,000 XAF

Double
Bed

55,000 XAF

37,000 XAF
69,000 XAF

Single
Bed

43,000 XAF

33,000 XAF
55,000 XAF

Living
Room

79,000 XAF

62,000 XAF
280,000 XAF

Dining
Table

37,000 XAF

28,000 XAF
69,000 XAF

Sofa
or Couch

50,000 XAF

37,000 XAF
110,000 XAF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

55,000 XAF

37,000 XAF
110,000 XAF

Fridge
or Freezer

50,000 XAF

33,000 XAF
69,000 XAF

Washing
Machine

62,000 XAF

43,000 XAF
110,000 XAF

Stove
or Cooker

50,000 XAF

40,000 XAF
69,000 XAF

Mobile
Phone

55,000 XAF

46,000 XAF
79,000 XAF

Laptop
or Computer

62,000 XAF

50,000 XAF
110,000 XAF

How do people spend their money in Gabon?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Gabon

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW40,000 XAF
AVERAGE160,000 XAF
HIGH340,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW6,700 XAF
AVERAGE27,000 XAF
HIGH57,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW8,900 XAF
AVERAGE36,000 XAF
HIGH75,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW18,000 XAF
AVERAGE71,000 XAF
HIGH150,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW10,000 XAF
AVERAGE40,000 XAF
HIGH85,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW5,500 XAF
AVERAGE22,000 XAF
HIGH47,000 XAF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,200 XAF
AVERAGE8,900 XAF
HIGH19,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW20,000 XAF
AVERAGE80,000 XAF
HIGH170,000 XAF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Gabon

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW55,000 XAF
AVERAGE270,000 XAF
HIGH440,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW8,300 XAF
AVERAGE33,000 XAF
HIGH67,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW20,000 XAF
AVERAGE100,000 XAF
HIGH160,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW23,000 XAF
AVERAGE120,000 XAF
HIGH190,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW18,000 XAF
AVERAGE92,000 XAF
HIGH150,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW10,000 XAF
AVERAGE50,000 XAF
HIGH80,000 XAF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW3,300 XAF
AVERAGE17,000 XAF
HIGH27,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW28,000 XAF
AVERAGE140,000 XAF
HIGH230,000 XAF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Gabon

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW120,000 XAF
AVERAGE430,000 XAF
HIGH640,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW12,000 XAF
AVERAGE53,000 XAF
HIGH60,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW31,000 XAF
AVERAGE110,000 XAF
HIGH160,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW70,000 XAF
AVERAGE240,000 XAF
HIGH360,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW31,000 XAF
AVERAGE110,000 XAF
HIGH160,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW19,000 XAF
AVERAGE67,000 XAF
HIGH100,000 XAF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW54,000 XAF
AVERAGE190,000 XAF
HIGH280,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW47,000 XAF
AVERAGE160,000 XAF
HIGH240,000 XAF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Gabon

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW13,000 XAF
AVERAGE80,000 XAF
HIGH170,000 XAF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW2,200 XAF
AVERAGE13,000 XAF
HIGH29,000 XAF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW3,900 XAF
AVERAGE23,000 XAF
HIGH50,000 XAF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW11,000 XAF
AVERAGE67,000 XAF
HIGH140,000 XAF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW3,300 XAF
AVERAGE20,000 XAF
HIGH43,000 XAF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,800 XAF
AVERAGE17,000 XAF
HIGH36,000 XAF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW11,000 XAF
AVERAGE63,000 XAF
HIGH140,000 XAF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW8,300 XAF
AVERAGE50,000 XAF
HIGH110,000 XAF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Gabon typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 240,000 XAF with expenditure ranging from 58,000 XAF and 400,000 XAF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Gabon ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 32,000 XAF with 7,200 XAF and 53,000 XAF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 16,000 XAF to 110,000 XAF on commuting with 66,000 XAF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Gabon is 120,000 XAF. The cost of groceries can range between 31,000 XAF to 210,000 XAF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Gabon allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 16,000 XAF to 110,000 XAF with 64,000 XAF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 9,400 XAF to 66,000 XAF with 39,000 XAF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 69,000 XAF per month with 18,000 XAF being the minimum spent amount and 120,000 XAF being the maximum.

©copound