Cost Of Living in Gambia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Gambia

Whether you're living in Gambia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
13,000 GMD
average per month
3,200 GMD
Range
27,000 GMD

Couple
24,000 GMD
average per month
4,800 GMD
Range
38,000 GMD

Family
38,000 GMD
average per month
11,000 GMD
Range
57,000 GMD

Student
9,600 GMD
average per month
1,600 GMD
Range
21,000 GMD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Gambia is 13,000 GMD. Expenses can range from 3,200 GMD at the minimum level to 27,000 GMD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Gambia is 24,000 GMD. Expenditure can range from 4,800 GMD to 38,000 GMD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Gambia is 38,000 GMD per month. Families spend anywhere from 11,000 GMD to 57,000 GMD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Gambia is 9,600 GMD. Students spend from 1,600 GMD to 21,000 GMD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Gambia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

3.2 GMD

3.2 GMD
3.2 GMD

Fast food
combo meal

32 GMD

23 GMD
53 GMD

Restaurant
meal for one

110 GMD

84 GMD
130 GMD

Fine dining
meal for one

270 GMD

180 GMD
320 GMD

Soda
Soft Drink

2.7 GMD

2.7 GMD
2.7 GMD

Cappuccino
or latte

21 GMD

13 GMD
32 GMD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

16 GMD

13 GMD
18 GMD

Loaf of
bread

2.3 GMD

2.0 GMD
2.7 GMD

12
eggs

16 GMD

13 GMD
20 GMD

Fresh whole
chicken

37 GMD

29 GMD
46 GMD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

42 GMD

35 GMD
53 GMD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

23 GMD

20 GMD
27 GMD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

11 GMD

8.9 GMD
13 GMD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

11 GMD

10.0 GMD
12 GMD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

11 GMD

9.7 GMD
12 GMD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

16 GMD

13 GMD
32 GMD

Average car
full tank

110 GMD

80 GMD
210 GMD

Average car
1-day rental

110 GMD

80 GMD
160 GMD

Average car
price

80,000 GMD

40,000 GMD
110,000 GMD

Bus ticket
one way

4.0 GMD

2.7 GMD
8.0 GMD

Car
Service

160 GMD

110 GMD
320 GMD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

770 GMD

190 GMD
1,600 GMD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

960 GMD

240 GMD
1,900 GMD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,500 GMD

340 GMD
1,700 GMD

Internet
and cable

160 GMD

80 GMD
210 GMD

Mobile phone
charges

110 GMD

64 GMD
320 GMD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

53 GMD

40 GMD
80 GMD

One month gym
membership

160 GMD

130 GMD
320 GMD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

130 GMD

94 GMD
200 GMD

Woman
dress

120 GMD

89 GMD
400 GMD

Woman
shoes

110 GMD

84 GMD
270 GMD

Men
shoes

89 GMD

73 GMD
180 GMD

Men
suit

100 GMD

80 GMD
530 GMD

Regular
t-shirt

53 GMD

40 GMD
160 GMD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

2,000 GMD

1,300 GMD
5,300 GMD

1-bedroom
apartment

3,200 GMD

2,000 GMD
8,000 GMD

2-bedroom
apartment

4,000 GMD

2,700 GMD
11,000 GMD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

400,000 GMD

270,000 GMD
800,000 GMD

1-bedroom
apartment

530,000 GMD

320,000 GMD
2,000,000 GMD

2-bedroom
apartment

1,600,000 GMD

530,000 GMD
3,200,000 GMD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

2,000 GMD

1,600 GMD
2,700 GMD

Double
Bed

1,600 GMD

1,100 GMD
2,000 GMD

Single
Bed

1,200 GMD

940 GMD
1,600 GMD

Living
Room

2,300 GMD

1,800 GMD
8,000 GMD

Dining
Table

1,100 GMD

800 GMD
2,000 GMD

Sofa
or Couch

1,500 GMD

1,100 GMD
3,200 GMD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,600 GMD

1,100 GMD
3,200 GMD

Fridge
or Freezer

1,500 GMD

940 GMD
2,000 GMD

Washing
Machine

1,800 GMD

1,200 GMD
3,200 GMD

Stove
or Cooker

1,500 GMD

1,100 GMD
2,000 GMD

Mobile
Phone

1,600 GMD

1,300 GMD
2,300 GMD

Laptop
or Computer

1,800 GMD

1,500 GMD
3,200 GMD

How do people spend their money in Gambia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Gambia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,100 GMD
AVERAGE4,600 GMD
HIGH9,800 GMD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW190 GMD
AVERAGE770 GMD
HIGH1,600 GMD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW260 GMD
AVERAGE1,000 GMD
HIGH2,200 GMD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW510 GMD
AVERAGE2,000 GMD
HIGH4,300 GMD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW290 GMD
AVERAGE1,100 GMD
HIGH2,400 GMD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW160 GMD
AVERAGE640 GMD
HIGH1,400 GMD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW64 GMD
AVERAGE260 GMD
HIGH540 GMD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW570 GMD
AVERAGE2,300 GMD
HIGH4,900 GMD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Gambia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,600 GMD
AVERAGE7,900 GMD
HIGH13,000 GMD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW240 GMD
AVERAGE960 GMD
HIGH1,900 GMD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW570 GMD
AVERAGE2,900 GMD
HIGH4,600 GMD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW670 GMD
AVERAGE3,400 GMD
HIGH5,400 GMD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW530 GMD
AVERAGE2,600 GMD
HIGH4,200 GMD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW290 GMD
AVERAGE1,400 GMD
HIGH2,300 GMD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW96 GMD
AVERAGE480 GMD
HIGH770 GMD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW810 GMD
AVERAGE4,100 GMD
HIGH6,500 GMD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Gambia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW3,600 GMD
AVERAGE12,000 GMD
HIGH18,000 GMD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW340 GMD
AVERAGE1,500 GMD
HIGH1,700 GMD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW890 GMD
AVERAGE3,100 GMD
HIGH4,600 GMD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW2,000 GMD
AVERAGE6,900 GMD
HIGH10,000 GMD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW890 GMD
AVERAGE3,100 GMD
HIGH4,600 GMD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW560 GMD
AVERAGE1,900 GMD
HIGH2,900 GMD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,600 GMD
AVERAGE5,400 GMD
HIGH8,000 GMD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,300 GMD
AVERAGE4,600 GMD
HIGH6,900 GMD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Gambia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW380 GMD
AVERAGE2,300 GMD
HIGH5,000 GMD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW64 GMD
AVERAGE380 GMD
HIGH830 GMD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW110 GMD
AVERAGE670 GMD
HIGH1,500 GMD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW320 GMD
AVERAGE1,900 GMD
HIGH4,200 GMD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW96 GMD
AVERAGE570 GMD
HIGH1,200 GMD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW80 GMD
AVERAGE480 GMD
HIGH1,000 GMD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW300 GMD
AVERAGE1,800 GMD
HIGH3,900 GMD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW240 GMD
AVERAGE1,400 GMD
HIGH3,100 GMD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Gambia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 6,800 GMD with expenditure ranging from 1,700 GMD and 11,000 GMD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Gambia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 910 GMD with 210 GMD and 1,500 GMD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 460 GMD to 3,200 GMD on commuting with 1,900 GMD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Gambia is 3,600 GMD. The cost of groceries can range between 880 GMD to 6,100 GMD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Gambia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 450 GMD to 3,100 GMD with 1,900 GMD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 270 GMD to 1,900 GMD with 1,100 GMD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 2,000 GMD per month with 510 GMD being the minimum spent amount and 3,300 GMD being the maximum.

©copound